Our partner

number dyslexia???

Dyslexia message board, open discussion, and online support group.

number dyslexia???

Postby element » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:50 am

I'm not sure if there even is such a thing, but I have a really bad problem with numbers. Like when my teacher called out the number 125, I wrote down 215. If I really stop, slow down, and think about it, I'm okay. That's the reason why I can type them now, but I"m always mixing numbers up in my head. It happens several times a day, and soemtimes it messes me up in school, because I confuse my assignments, or I write down the wrong answer in math because I scramble the numbers. Is there such a thing as dyslexia with numbers, that works that way? A girl at school said that that's not even how dyslexia works, but I don't really know...I just know that this is frustrating because I keep getting my numbers confused. I do it with addresses and phone numbers too. Is there anything that I can do to prevent this?
element
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:31 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby ellyodd » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:34 pm

Oooh, you are NOT alone. It's called DYSCALCULIA and is as real as you are sitting there, according to the World Health Organisation. And about 5% of the World population is affected.

You should check out the site http://www.dyscalculia.org where you can read all about dyscalculia, and http://www.dyscalculiaforum.com where you can rant, scream, laugh and share advice with 1700 other people like yourself from all over the world :)
ellyodd
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby element » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:40 pm

Thanks, and I just checked out the site. The only thing that I'm not sure about though, is the fact that I do well in math. I have an A in my algebra class, and I've always done well in math. It's just weird though, because I keep scrambling these numbers. I guess part of what helps is going over my quizes before I turn them in to make sure I put the right answers down. But usually, if I do miss something, it's a careless mistake and it's usually from scrambling numbers up. So I'm just wondring if this is what's messing me up or not. I guess I could just have a very mild case or something. I don't really know. I'm also very talented at music, both by ear and sight reading. It's just kind of odd. But then again, I also do very well in my English classes and other classes that require reading, and I have a very hard time reading. It's not so much the reading itself, but the comprehending it what gets me. I can read the same paragraph over and over and not get it, because I can't stay focused.

Wow, I've just rambled a lot, but I really do want to figure this thing out so that I can see what there is to do about it.

~element
element
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby prabhakar80 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:59 am

The clinic uses a two prong approach to treat Dyslexia and difficulties what you have. When used together as a two-step program in this order, they provide the best treatment options.

A specific Nutrient supplementation program is used to promote optimum brain cells and structures.

Neurotherapy is used to reduce excessive slow brainwave activity associated with your difficulties and to promote optimum connectivity between brain structures as these are essential for learning and acquisition of knowledge.
prabhakar80
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Re: number dyslexia???

Postby philipwatling » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:34 am

I was hit by a car in 1994! My brain was bashed around a bit and I have been left the same: ever so slightly dysarthric! Yes, I understand numbers, I know how they work and am very good at maths and mental calculations. However, when copying down a phone number that I know off by heart and even though my mind is saying the numbers I often write them down in the wrong order or even just write down one wrong digit. It is very annoying!
philipwatling
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby 0RH1 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:53 am

Hmmm, this has got me thinking that i may be dyslexic, i have always suspected that i might be but have never been tested for it.

When i was a child and i first started school i was labelled, well backward for want of a better description, by the education system. They did this pretty much straight away as i recall, like within the first week of starting school. They informed my parents and they pretty much went along with it and they started to say i was a bit thick and would never amount to anything. You know how it is when you are a kid, you believe what adults tell you so i started to believe it myself. Looking back my main problem was that i learned at a fairly slow pace, i could pretty much learn anything but i needed to do it at my own speed and because i was not a quick thinker it was assumed i mut be stupid. I didn't learn to read at school, they couldn't teach me anything. I had trouble reading, writing and with Maths as well. I didn't learn to read at school, it was my brother who taught me to read in bed at night using a comic called the Beano (UK readers will be familar with that one). If it hadn't been for him i would not have learnd to read, or it would have been much later.

Because i had my parents and the school telling me i was stupid i must admit my confidence was very low academically. Children tend to believe what teachers and their parents tell them and i was no different. Because of this i hardly made any effort at school. After i did start to learn to read and write many people pointed out that i had a very unsual style of writing, some words i would write backwards by starting with the last letter and then working to the front. It was just intuitive to me to do it that way, i didn't even notice that i wa doing it unless someone pointed it out to me, apparently i still do it quite a bit but i still don't notice. I used to do that thing you mentioned with the numbers all the time, mixing them up in the wrong order. It's only in recent years that i have thought i was possibly dyslexic.

As i got older i knew that i wasn't stupid like everyone said i was, i just couldn't get on with the education system though. I needed to learn at a different pace and the school just didn't accommodate this. I had also been labelled tupid for many years by now though and that sort of stuck so i was fighting an uphil battle. I hated the way i was labelled. Not surprisingly i left school without any qualifications at all. I never had any confidence when it came to learning. I did eventually go back into education as an adult and ended up going to University after several years of evening college. Even at my University graduation i had to endure a comment about how surprised they were at my achievement due to the fact that i had always been slow. I remember thinking wtf do i have to do to lose that tag. I had thought about having a dyslexia test when i started University but i didn't want to be treated differently so i just worked extra hard to make sure i passed with a good class of degree.

It's good that children don't tend to get labelled quite as much now but i'm sure it must still happen. I'd still be interested to get tested to see if i am dyslexic, i think i probably am.
0RH1
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby FlowersJasmin » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:08 am

Interesting to that 5% of the worlds population has DYSCALCULIA. I guess I should be tested for this condition.
FlowersJasmin
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Re:

Postby FlowersJasmin » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:47 am

ellyodd wrote:Oooh, you are NOT alone. It's called DYSCALCULIA and is as real as you are sitting there, according to the World Health Organisation. And about 5% of the World population is affected.

You should check out the site http://www.dyscalculia.org where you can read all about dyscalculia, and http://www.dyscalculiaforum.com where you can rant, scream, laugh and share advice with 1700 other people like yourself from all over the world :)

Thanks a million for sharing this link. I have found it quite helpful
FlowersJasmin
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Return to Dyslexia Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post