Our partner

Do support groups help? Young and mentally ill

Drug Addiction message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Do support groups help? Young and mentally ill

Postby delilahsmom » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:44 am

So I've struggled with mental illness my whole life basically, well before I started using. A lot of my friends ended up having really severe rehab-worthy addictions, any kind of narcotic you can name. I found my issues with pot. Just pot. Alcohol hasn't interfered with my life the way pot did.

Recently, I've had to come to terms with the fact I have to be sober. With all the ridiculous pharmaceuticals coming my way, partying with kids my age is not an option. And I've also realized I might be an addict, as I use to escape pain. But I don't know, meetings feel weird for me.

I am not christian AT ALL, so I don't particularly enjoy that aspect..... I just feel out of place. I know NA is more laid back but its also a little strange for me admitting I only had an issue with pot (cuz most people don't take it seriously). I am very young, 21. I guess I want to meet sober people my age but I don't know if these meetings will help anything.

Any feedback from people in similar situations? Forced into sobriety because of mental illness and painfully young?
delilahsmom
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:18 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Do support groups help? Young and mentally ill

Postby Wally58 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:19 pm

Pot can be a real problem for some people and you should feel accepted by the people at the meeting you choose.
I knew a person at AA that only drank about once a year, but every time they got drunk, they were totally out of control.
Did they belong in AA? Many of us thought so, although many of us also drank every single day.
You are a member of AA or NA when you say you are. Don't let anyone judge your drug use or age and say that you aren't 'bad enough' to be there. You are ready for recovery when you say you are.
You need to find a meeting where you feel welcome with open arms. The other 12 step programs all follow the same set of steps/traditions as AA. Only the language may be slightly changed to fit the particular problem.
EA (emotions anonymous) had members that discussed personal problems, although many were not alcoholics or addicts. Some were dealing with a friend or family member who was an alcoholic or addict. They shared a lot of the same things that kept me sick for many years. Many of them were younger.
You don't have to take the God-talk literally. If you choose not to, you can substitute a word that makes you feel more comfortable. Does Creator or Universal Being work for you?
Best of luck to you. :D
We do NOT delete posts

Read the forum rules before posting here. If you are having any doubts about what you are posting, if you are thinking in the back of your mind, "I am going to want to delete this, or these details, later", remove those details, or step back and don't post until you are sure.
Wally58
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:18 am

Re: Do support groups help? Young and mentally ill

Postby peabody1180 » Sat May 20, 2017 5:51 pm

Support groups do help if you listen and participate but you have to want to do that, listen and participate. What kind of pain are you escaping? Mental anguish?
peabody1180
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:18 am

Return to Drug Addiction

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post