Our partner

How to ensure i stay sober (weed)

Drug Addiction message board, open discussion, and online support group.

How to ensure i stay sober (weed)

Postby Arkx6 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:52 am

So im the rare breed who seems to get halucinations from weed when ive been smoking quite a bit and then come off it , i continue to get hallucinations eg spiders crawling next to my bed when i come off the weed sometimes for a week or so. I havent heard of anyone else ive met having a similar reaction in the 14 years ive smoked on and off so im guessing its quite rare.

Most people i know dont get the anxiety and hallucinations from weed i do.

Im off it now and dont want to go back on it.

A psychologist said my long term use of weed could be a factor in my depression and anxiety problems.
Given he is a trained psychologist im inclined to believe him than the horde of unqualified smokers who profess weed as a miracle drug with no drawbacks. This behaviour on the part of smokers is common to all substances that are addictive....addicts will say anything to justify their habit. Althought yes there have been some positives with weed in terms of pain relief and cancer...anyway i degress.

My question relates to how to make sure you dont fall back into old habits.

I made the mistake recently of befriending a guy with a SERIOUS weed problem....i got dragged back into old habits and pulled myself away from him and dont smoke anymore...still the whole situation made me realise how vulnerable i am to getting dragged back into smoking.

Apart from keeping people with weed problems at a distance what other measures can i take to stay sober???

Peace
Arkx6
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:08 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: How to ensure i stay sober (weed)

Postby Oliveira » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:16 pm

Hi,

marijuana is a trigger for many mental illnesses, including schizophrenia and bipolar. This is not to say you have schizophrenia! (Although if you have hallucinations even when sober I would suggest talking to a psychiatrist rather than a therapist.)

My suggestions for staying clean would be:
- cut off the sort of friends that smoke weed a lot and aren't willing not to do it in front of you
- avoid environments you associate with weed (say you go to a certain club and smoke a spliff in the back, don't go there anymore, find another place)
- get rid of all paraphernalia like pipes or bongs or anything you use to smoke with
- if you feel secure enough, tell people you trust that you quit smoking weed and if they see you stoned they should tell you off, as it shouldn't be happening (I call this "roadblocks" -- basically if I get wasted and any of my friends sees me my ass will be in deep trouble)
- lastly, if this advice doesn't seem to help enough, consider some sort of drug addiction program -- NA works for me, but there are many others, counsellors, rehabs (those are going to be expensive though).

Hope I helped a bit, good luck!
Currently working on my upcoming signature.
Oliveira
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Arkx6 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:55 pm

Thank you i needed some of the things ive been thinking to be reinforced....the worse thing about weed is the misinformation about it in the smoking community...though i suspect this is equally the case for all drug abusing communities.

I find this a hard subject to talk about, it just makes me uncomfortable.

Thanks for your help
Arkx6
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby bebel » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:31 pm

Just came back from a Holland trip, and in some (a minority) shops, the risks are clearly written as well as a general guideline.

I understand what you say about addicts defending their product but weed IS useful.
I also agree that it can harm some, but it's not the product itself, weed does not give you schizophrenia or bipolar disorder, it is already inside of you. But it may trigger it indeed.

It's a matter of balance all in all. All advices above are good. But if you REALLY want to get rid of it, start by thinking and analysing WHY you started to smoke initially.

Find this reason, then find an alternative to smoking to achieve the same original purpose.

If you don't, you can do everything possible, you won't stop. Friends smoking, material, etc. are not the reasons you smoke. You smoke because you want it or think you need it. Mistakenly ? Only you can know.

Speaking for myself, I really really prefer weed to any meds to treat myself.
I've tried meds (kinda forced) when I got sick and stopped smoking for at least 6 months (even tobbaco). What I saw is that is turned me into a zombie. Weed doesn't. Fact. Weed is natural, meds are synthetics. Fact. Meds are made 99% from plants. Fact. You get my point...

Now I'm not you and you are not me, everyone is free to smoke or not. And if weed harms some people then they obviously should not smoke.

As an alternative to smoke or meds, you can try sport and yoga for example.
Hope it helped.
bebel
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:08 am

Postby Jamie514 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:07 am

Simply try to avoid any temptations to take weeds. Throw out all the weed from your house and get rid of any drugs that you have. Stay away from people that have contributed to your addiction. Be honest with people about your limits.
Jamie514
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:08 pm

Return to Drug Addiction

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post