Our partner

Marihuana. Is it time to stop?

Drug Addiction message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Marihuana. Is it time to stop?

Postby TheCrazyGambino » Sat May 31, 2014 12:04 am

Hello. I´m a thirdysomething years old logistics proffesional, father of several kids. I´ve been smoking Marihuana sporadically since I´m 19 but in the last (more or less) 18 months I just made an habit of it. Initially I found it so damn awesome: I´d smoke friday and saturday nights and then would listen to music, watch movies or work on my game design hobbies. It simply made things so much better. It boosts my creativity and managed to break a "block" i had hit for almost two years with my design stuff. I managed to make more progress in a couple of weeks than what i could make in a couple of years of just drinking coffe (it wasnt coffe per se but a native drink that is about the same). I later introduced my wife to it, we (been married for 12) began to have sex like the first months of relationship. It made me start doing sports, i lost 10kilos in a couple of months and got in my best shape. It really makes me think very deep and understand a lot of stuff. I´ve became a better husband, a better son and grandson (i visited my grandmothers for first time in years) and a more easygoing person. For all that time I couldn´t find a con for it except by the short memory problems the day after smoking and the freezer lootings in the midnight. I want to make clear that I´ve always smoked small doses. In the most extreme cases I´d smoke half joint per day (three or four days a week).

The reason of why I´ve starting to read these forums and to finally write about my experience is that lately It has become a not so great habit. The doses I usually smoke don´t seem enough to get me that high and after about 30minutes of smoking I begin to feel dissapointed because the good high doesnt last. I´ve also noticed I´m quite irritable the day after smoking, to the point that sometimes I dont know myself when I react in an irascible way to things I usually can manage calmly. I´ve also had a couple of obsessive/deppresive episodes that lasted me a couple of days, I couldn´t stop thinking of negative stuff or couldnt stop looking at people with mistrust. Once, even, I was so obsessed with my breath that I was worried that if i stopped breathing voluntarily, I´d choke.

I know drugs are bad but I´ve always been a stable person. In all my years I always knew when it was enough of something and I´m certain I will never fall on other drugs like cocaine. What I want to know if that any of you think that there´s a way to keep weed under control like I´ve been doing until a few months ago. For the record the two times I had these deppresive/obsessive episodese I stopped smoking for a whole week and then started with an even smaller dose.

The Idea of completely quitting weed sounds terribly sad for me. I know i can get back to the old "boring" way of listening to music or reading about science. But giving up the awesome sex or those amazing brainstorms for my design stuff will be a huge step back for me.

I want to thank to whoever has the will to read this post and reply to me. I wrote it being sober! :D
TheCrazyGambino
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:20 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Marihuana. Is it time to stop?

Postby jelm3 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:59 am

I think you should take a break. I am like you in that when I smoke it is usually by myself and I limit how much I smoke. I have found that once you get passed first two days of not smoking, the fog clears and I'm able to think clearly again. When I smoke too often it does kind of leave me in a dissasociated state and makes me overthink everything.

I will agree with you that it defiently helps me think deeper and understand some really important aspects of life. It does "make everything better" but it also has it's negative effects. Once I beccame an everyday smoker I became much more contiencious about what I was eating/drinking and I lost a lot of weight. I remember just looking at myself one day in a mirror when I realized I had lost a lot of weight. People started telling me I looked healthier. My boss at work asked me if I had been exercising, and I wanted to say "nope, just smoking lots of weed!" it's actually funny because when I asked me that I didn't know what to say. I kind of thought to myself "what have I been doing again?"

I went a couple days without smoking and it had its ups and downs. I found I could think clearer, however I didnt have that psychedelic insight on everything going on. I also missed being by myself, getting high, listening to music, playing xbox, watching funny youtube videos... all that stuff.

I'm with you in this fight man
jelm3
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:20 am

Postby lobosuelto » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:16 am

Would that coffee kinda drink be mate by any chance?
lobosuelto
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:20 am

Postby TheCrazyGambino » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:02 am

Yes.

It´s funny to re read this topic almost two years late. I don´t think I´ve experienced those drawbacks anymore since i limited the usage to only two nights a week. I also feel that I have the high inside with me all the time, I don´t really need to smoke to feel the world as i mentioned learning to feel, I´ve grew up a lot mentally thanks to that process and can enjoy things in the same level just being sober.
TheCrazyGambino
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby terryt » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:42 am

Gambini wrote:Yes.

It´s funny to re read this topic almost two years late. I don´t think I´ve experienced those drawbacks anymore since i limited the usage to only two nights a week. I also feel that I have the high inside with me all the time, I don´t really need to smoke to feel the world as i mentioned learning to feel, I´ve grew up a lot mentally thanks to that process and can enjoy things in the same level just being sober.

You might not read this thread ever again, but I agree with Jelm3. I think you should stop.

I've read a lot about how several artists and musicians used their emotional and mental ‘highs’ after smoking marijuana to compose beautiful pieces of art and music. I think you’re case is similar- ‘the awesome sex and the amazing brainstorms’. What is to be noted is that there were a very large number of such artists who used such recreational drugs, and only a few of them had any real benefit from it. Also, there were several even greater artists who achieved far greater heights without any type of drug usage.

Marijuana‘s danger comes from it being a gateway drug, and as you are confident that you won’t fall for hard drugs - cocaine and the like, you don’t need to worry about that. I used marijuana for keeping my alcohol craving at bay after my alcohol addiction treatment *link removed*. The rehab did it’s job with the detox and therapies, but I’m an atheist, and I simply could not get in terms with the AA meetings they recommended. Marijuana was a blessing- until I realized that if I continued the habit, I would develop an addiction for it too. Stopped that after my 34th birthday, and have never done alcohol, weed or drugs again.

Any type of addiction or usage is bad my friend. And might I add- you’ll get the medicinal benefits of cannabinoids in cannabis only when you take it in the medically prescribed manner- through an inhaler, or by using cannabis oil. Smoking weed can kill you, period.
terryt
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:20 am

Postby TheCrazyGambino » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:44 pm

Your contribution is valuable, but i think you´re mixing things. What your atheism has to do with the AA meetings? And how the fact that more talented artists have achieved better things without the aid of any drug is relevant for people like me? Talent comes in the package, and I do my best with what was given to me. I do know that marihuana boosts my creativity to noticeably high levels. I´m not sure if my consumption schedule can be labeled as addiction (I´m inclined to believe it can´t). As I said, I light up my pipe fridays and saturdays nights, and I use small, almost negligible amounts: A 25gram dice of compacted weed lasts me about three months, that´s an average of 0.27 grams per day, take away that I usually share almost half of it with my partner. So it´d be something like 0.15 grams per day. I wrote the initial post of this thread when I hit a spike on consumption, and since then I applied correcting measures by reducing consumption to the levels I am describing now.

No drug is good and I understand that, but then what life is all about if you can´t break any rule? We all need to spoil ourselves from time to time and this very thing is my payment for all the effort I put in a regular basis to be the best person i can make of myself.

Finally, i think your last, conclusive, sentence is too far fetched. Saying that weed can kill you is like saying that riding a bicycle can kill you.
TheCrazyGambino
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby JessiRae » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:48 pm

Although marijuana's short term use does indeed prompt euphoria and relaxation, it actually develops long term anxiety, paranoia, and other mood disorders which most people don't take into consideration. :|

Stopping is excellent, but unless you find remedies for the underlying reason as to why you're abusing marijuana, your chances for relapse are high. You can do this by getting professional help, or you can start off by going to support groups and meetings.

Finding healthy alternatives, and maybe going to therapy to address those underlying reasons of abuse, is imperative to your recovery.

*mod edit*

I hope this helped!
Last edited by Oliveira on Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please do not post commercial links. PM to follow.
JessiRae
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:20 am

Postby TheCrazyGambino » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:59 am

I don´t think there are underlying reasons for why i began to smoke marihuana. And I´d b sad to be proven that my usage (as i described in my previous post) can be labeled as abuse.

Is there any kind of study or cientifical proof for what you say in your first sentence? I wouldn´t really like to develop anxiety or paranoia.
TheCrazyGambino
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Return to Drug Addiction

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post