Our partner

How have Drugs affected you?

Drug Addiction message board, open discussion, and online support group.

How have drugs affected you?

Physical/Mental or chemical affects
18%
Loss of money,assets
7%
Loss of job/s
1%
Loss of family and real friends
6%
crime
3%
Paranoia and isolation
13%
change in priorities
12%
It fixed everything
14%
overall change of self and behavior
26%

Total votes : 131

How have Drugs affected you?

Postby MSBLUE » Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:01 am

This poll is annonymous, unless you want to elaberate with a reply.

Thank you for participating.

Feel free to add your own in a reply.
MSBLUE
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:07 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Xtramad » Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:55 am

Drugs have definatly affected me in many ways.
If I had chosen drugs like alcohol, heroine or cocaine, I would have experienced the negative effects of drug abuse that we all hear about in the media. But I chose the safer drugs. And I chose not to abuse drugs.

It changed my priorities. I am now much more focused on emotions, relations to other people, and deeper values. Money, status and posessions are not very important to me any longer. I redescovered the beuaty of nature and life. I am less condeming of other people and I can understand them even though they are hostile or shallow.

I found God and my purpose in life. It totally changed my understanding of the physical world and brought together the fields of theoretical physics, cosmology and philosophy. My hobbies have changed from hunting and target shooting to gardening and philosophy. I eat healthy and stopped smoking sigarettes. I worry less and am not as stressed and angry as I was before.

I can honestly say that I don't regret trying hallucinogenic drugs. Whithout them I would have been a totally different person today. The only negative thing is that I am now per definition a criminal and risk fines or jail for using a substance that has made me a better person.
Xtramad
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:07 am

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:19 pm

I was arrested for possession of marijuana. I spent a night in jail and paid a lawyer $2,500 to represent me. The case was dismissed so I do not have a conviction on my record, yet it will still appear on my arrest record. Thus far it hasn’t affected my career, though it may potentially when the time comes to seek another position, depending on the degree of the background check. Quite a shame really, can anyone truly posit a logical position for the criminalization of marijuana usage? What are the adverse affects of this drug to society at large or the individual? How is it considered more dangerous than alcohol? With many substances at least one can argue of the potential of overdose, has anyone ever overdosed on marijuana?

I smoke occasionally and enjoy the experience, far less deleterious than a night of alcohol consumption and it’s a great aphrodisiac.

So I would have to say I have had a very positive experience with marijuana usage. Aside from the arrest, but its not really my fault there is a wholly unjustifiable and rationally indefensible law on the books.

Postby Firnlothwen » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:00 pm

it almost cost me everything. i lost my job, my money, and almost my family and my life. it cost me most of my friends. and in the end, i lost my best friend to drugs..

if there's anything i'd have to say thanks for, i'd say "thank whatever spirit out there for giving me the strength to give up the drugs"
Firnlothwen
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:39 am

Way to go!!!

Your story sound very familiar. i also lost a best friend to cocaine od. One year after my cousin, with animal tranquilizers.

After that I didn't have the need for being addicted or even participating socially. But that was 10 years ago, and I still have urges. All I have to do is think of all the bad. Homeless, violence, jail, no job, no family, screwed up friends, thieves, you know the story, it never changes.

Altered states have been in mankind for 1000's of years, but I still have so many questions, why we do this, what need are we really feeding? Being someone else, feeling no pain of life, needed energy, i.e. meth, that appears useful but is actually self destructive?

Do we hate who we are that much? I did, but now and then to get off my soapbox, I have a new journey a new challenge and experiment, see if I can live life for real!!! If I come out of that alive, I feel I have accomplished my experiment. Since we all know we can die from drugs, that's not a challenge.

But like you I am grateful to that force as well., that kept me alive, though not out of harms way. But we live with our choices. Mine were wrong.

Postby In-Some-Niak » Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:05 pm

I was going to vote, but then I stopped myself in light of the fact that I (and probably, we) don't truly know if certain problems in our life/behavior were the direct cause of drugs. I've come to realize over the years that my drug use and experimentation were not merely to feel good from a drug. It was instead a form of self-medication. I was trying to feel "normal" like the others around me in society, who lived life in happiness, and for whom everything seemed to come out just right. I was self-medicating the chemical imbalance in my brain. Self-medicating my depression, my anxiety, my social phobia, my PTSD, and who knows what other classification I could fall under in the eyes of psychology/psychiatry.

My drug of choice "was" always marijuana. And I tried many others as well. Alcohol, pills, shrooms, LSD, and cocaine. Now of course, I have two marijuana charges on my driving record that don't help in life, and don't help me get a job. But neither does my constant absences from work, my tardiness, or my suddenly not showing up at my job anymore. And these are all a result of my anxiety, depression, social phobia, and agoraphobia.

I notice the same thing in many alcoholics (and I know a lot, and it runs in my family as well.) They drink to overcome social anxiety, to be more open in the bars. Or to fight a serious depression due to the loss of a loved one or such, to drown their sorrows and numb the pain. I see it all as self-medication. But many don't realize this at all and blame the addict.

So I can never tell what is the direct cause of the drug or the direct cause of pre-existing issues. Did a person turn to drugs because of pre-existing problems, or were these problems cause by the drugs alone? A chicken and egg dilemma, as usual. People claim marijuana makes you lazy. And people write off social anxiety as simple laziness. And I smoked marijuana to aleviate my social anxiety. So you do the math.
In-Some-Niak
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:07 am

Postby Thrann » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:03 pm

I originally tried Ecstasy after hearing about the Euphoric and Anti-anxiety effects, and immediately... I was hooked. No matter what the situation was, pills would always be involved. Sure it was great at first, but the depression I have now after the damage has been done... just is not worth it.
Thrann

Postby Iserath_1 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:41 pm

edited by moderator, banned ex member
Iserath_1
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby sarah » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:05 pm

I am writing this to express how abusing drugs can have so many lifelong affects, the worst being how it affects the user's loved ones--

My husband had a parent who abused drugs. Due to this, my hsband had to assume an adult's (parent's) responsibility at a young age--(working two jobs at age 16 while making it through high school, and trying to hide it from others.) He is in his thirties now, and finally working through the trauma. Because of this and his "manly" choice to repress his anxiety, fear, anger, and abandonment, he now suffers from an anxiety and panic disorder, and the depression that comes with those disorders.

Abusing and kind of substance is so destructive and leaves an indelible mark on so many people.
sarah
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby FriedPiper » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:13 am

Lol, hey ddee you locked my acid trip post in the other fourm...oh well, i dont mind...was silly of me to post it there anyways.

Personally id say i wouldve commit suicide if i hadnt taken to drugs...and i seriously believe drugs dont make people bad, people are just evil to begin with and drugs provide them with confidence.
Anyways, i finally did acid and omg...was awesome. It seriously changes your perspective. Drugs were defiintely the foundation to my spiritual awareness, bringing both motivation and apathy (somehow) but definitely happiness...even if it is short-lasted.
And omg sarah, thats horrible :(. There are definite boundaries for when drug use becomes drug abuse, and i think your father-in-law crossed them. Irresponsible people like him give the rest of use a bad name, and keep the men in blue on our backs!
Up and strummin guitarist.
FriedPiper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:07 pm

Next

Return to Drug Addiction

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post