Our partner

Domestic Abuse (pressing charges) *TW*

Open Discussions About Domestic Abuse.

Moderators: seabreezeblue, Terry E.

Domestic Abuse (pressing charges) *TW*

Postby Chloe2017 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:33 pm

Hi I'm new to this website. I was diagnosed in August 2016 with Bpd, depression and ptsd from a car crash. I had been with my boyfriend for 2 years before we broke up in October. About 2 weeks after we broke up, with the help of space and medication, I was thinking about our relationship and I know this probably sounds stupid but this realisation hit me so hard like a glass shattering across my head, that my boyfriend had been constantly raping and beating me for 2 years but I didn't realise it when I was with him and not on medication because of my bpd, I loved him. Every time during the relationship that he hit me or raped me I put it in the back of my mind and I thought that every time was just a once off.. he also emotionally abused me the whole time making me think I couldn't live without him and twice when I told him I was feeling depressed he convinced me to take an overdose saying 'you should just kill your self nobody will care', and he stood and watched me take 2 overdoses and then walked away from me and left me there to die. I'm just wondering now if anyone could give me some information about pressing charges against him? I am going to see my psychiatrist tomorrow to work out if I could handle the court process. I have very little proof of anything except maybe some vague texts and one person did see him choke me once but I don't know if she'd help me. I'm just wondering what the likely outcome of pressing charges would be?
Last edited by quietgirl2538 on Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited to add TW
Chloe2017
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:36 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Domestic Abuse (pressing charges) *TW*

Postby Nyyx » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:03 pm

*TW*

It is possible to charge an ex with rape and assault certainly. The statute of limitations varies, but I will say that filing a complaint does not guarantee that the authorities will consider it worth prosecuting.

I suggest contacting a women's aid foundation and maybe a solicitor to ask their opinion..
Remember to surround yourself with support because without evidence its your word against his and the defence can be brutal, digging through your past, and sexual history.
I do know it can be done though, you just have to be emotionally and mentally prepared for a long battle. Sometimes it can drag on for a year. And also are you prepared for the worst case scenario?

Be brave but be honest and kind to yourself. Do what will bring you the greatest benefit in the long run.Wish you all 're best for the future.
I Don't Care What You Think of Me, I Don't Think of You at All.
CoCo Chanel
Nyyx
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:36 pm
Blog: View Blog (3)

Return to Domestic Violence

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post