Our partner

d.i.d and possibly faking it??

Dissociative Identity Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: Snaga, NewSunRising, lilyfairy

d.i.d and possibly faking it??

Postby altered.reality » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:27 pm

this question is actually in regards to my boyfriend. i have been dating him for about a year now and though he knows about my d.i.d and how badly it has effected me, past week he has been saying through texts he too has it. some of the text messages goes like glad my people have met your people. stuff like this. I have for the most part ignored his statements because i dont truly believe he has d.i.d i havent even seen any form of dissociation symptoms in him and we see each other daily. though his one sister does show signs of ptsd and some dissociation i wouldnt say she has d.i.d though. I guess im just really confused about this. i dont know why he would say these things to me? and im not sure how to really talk to him about it since its a sensitive topic for me. what do i do? or how do i handle this? im confused...
also if he is faking it or making it up...why would he do that?
altered.reality
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:44 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: d.i.d and possibly faking it??

Postby TheGuyWithDID » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:18 am

It's hard to speculate on motive and intentions alone. Perhaps he does have a touch of dissociation and some trauma in his past but without a proper diagnosis on his end it is dubious to believe he has DID. Let me explain why.

I am a guy with DID who happens to be dating a woman with DID as well. We met in a trauma ward, not the most ideal circumstances I know but things have been very good. We both knew right off the bat the other had DID. We are very high functioning individuals, I'm a software engineer, she is a general manager at a coffee shop. When we are together we know when the other is gone. We know through experience one another's triggers and what, or who, may manifest as a result.

We might just be watching a movie and the simplest twitch, facial grimace, neck cracking, how we sit, what he say, how we say it, what cigarettes we smoke, ect and we know the other has switched. Hell it was just the other day we were watching Harry Potter and I altered out so she began to rub my head which brought me back to her. We have only been dating for three months and this is what we have learned from one another in that time period.

It would be very hard for myself or another from the forums to judge his behaviors, words, emotions, or the lack there of, based on a few posts unless we play the twenty questions game. As a guy there are many reasons why a guy might say that he has DID when the person he is dating does. None of these reasons are particularly good assuming he is not telling the truth. It could be a means to, for the lack of a better word, "lure" you in emotionally. This could be learned behavior as a result from his upbringing. This is perhaps the happy medium between reality and conjecture.

Ask him questions about his DID, specifics are the best. Don't feel afraid to jump into light trauma talk, but make sure he does most of the talking. Focus on how he knows, if he has a therapist, when he was diagnosed, ect. Specific questions will lead you down the road not only of knowing if he is faking it but if he does, then this questioning can be beneficial because it brings the two of you closer.

Best of luck.
TheGuyWithDID
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:44 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Dissociative Identity Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post