Our partner

Aversion to noise?

Dissociative Identity Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: salted lipstick, Partial

Aversion to noise?

Postby Fracturedself » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:36 am

I have such a problem with noise.
Tvs, crying, bells, loud talking, grocery stores, whistles, etc all push me over the edge. My T asked me about this yesterday.
I'm Wondering if other people with DiD have this problem. ?? Help! I feel like I'm losing my mind!
no longer DX of DID. PTSD.
Fracturedself
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:38 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Aversion to noise?

Postby The Cat's Meow » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:24 am

It sounds very much like a PTSD type of symptom. When my system is already hyperstimulated, I can't even tolerate having my daughter's friend over because the two of them make so much noise when they are playing. It is happy noise and it is maddening that I can't tolerate girls laughing, but at times that is how bad it has been. :(

Many, many people with DID also have PTSD, or at least have parts with PTSD.
- Cat's Meow

My kids hate labels, but they are willing to admit here that they exist.

Blog: livingwhilehealing.wordpress.com
The Cat's Meow
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:38 am

Postby Fracturedself » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:49 am

That makes sense. I have severe PTSD.
Thanks!
Fracturedself
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby Sotrsab » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:49 am

HELL YES!!!!! I cannot tell U how much my SO needing to constantly watch TV makes me cringe inside. It physically hurts me - my whole nervous system goes crazy-like. It's not the subject, (although I trigger at times) it's the FREAKING NOISE!!! AUGGGGGGH!!! Cannot stand it!!!, especially in the a.m. hours. And yet, crazy enough, I can be calmed by the TV if a football or baseball game is on, loudly even, as I work in the kitchen or clean the house. I hate noise of any other kind if it's playing openly, and I would never think to put on the TV myself, but if my SO does, I'm only calmed if it's a sorts event. Crazy, I know. However, I can use ear buds to listen to my sessions or to my music - different types of music depending on who's out - & loud as can be. Also, too many ppl in the same room talking at the same time makes me loopy scared.

**********************POSSIBLE TRIGGER************************ 'hallway noise'

I was at T recently & air conditioning work was being done on the roof right above. Footsteps were loud & freaked me out. ****************************end trigger**********************

Anyway, thanks for posting. Good to get this out.
After the rain goes...Rainbows!
"All behavior is purposeful in the system - it makes sense from their perspectives." (T)
"If I match my ability to push forward to my perception of the level of difficulty at hand, the reality of puting my troubles behind me then becomes just one very tiny baby step."
Sotrsab
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:38 am

Postby bourbon » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:36 am

Yes. Sometimes I need to put ear plugs in... when I am particularly triggerd into a hypersensitive state.
Diagnosed DID in September 2011
Re-diagnosed DID February 2014

Our blog: http://crazyinthecoconut.co.uk/
bourbon
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:38 am
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby taraleigh111 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:38 am

Interesting because I am just the opposite while loud noises bother me intensely extreme quiet will just make me lose it and go into a panic attack. I know that some of this is due to somethings that happened when I was younger not ready to mention alot of that yet.

I always have to have some source of light on and I need some sort of sound usually the TV even its just set to one of the music only channels on a low volume. Now the kids are the same way I wake up many nights to the tv having been changed to one of the kids music stations cutely called toddler tunes or Kids Only but no matter where I am at I even have a radio at work in my office to keep things from going to silent.
Robert - 42
Ashley- 42
Matt - 42

Tara leigh - 7
Sammie - 4-6
Emily- 11
Megan - 11
Amanda - 17
taraleigh111
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:38 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Fracturedself » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:00 pm

Sotrsab wrote:HELL YES!!!!! I cannot tell U how much my SO needing to constantly watch TV makes me cringe inside. It physically hurts me - my whole nervous system goes crazy-like. It's not the subject, (although I trigger at times) it's the FREAKING NOISE!!! AUGGGGGGH!!! Cannot stand it!!!, especially in the a.m. hours. And yet, crazy enough, I can be calmed by the TV if a football or baseball game is on, loudly even, as I work in the kitchen or clean the house. I hate noise of any other kind if it's playing openly, and I would never think to put on the TV myself, but if my SO does, I'm only calmed if it's a sorts event. Crazy, I know. However, I can use ear buds to listen to my sessions or to my music - different types of music depending on who's out - & loud as can be. Also, too many ppl in the same room talking at the same time makes me loopy scared.

**********************POSSIBLE TRIGGER************************ 'hallway noise'

I was at T recently & air conditioning work was being done on the roof right above. Footsteps were loud & freaked me out. ****************************end trigger**********************

Anyway, thanks for posting. Good to get this out.

That's funny about the sporting events! The fan noise on the TV will send me over the edge in a millisecond!! I hated when they put microphones in the stands. Ruined sports for me! And my husband- :-(

Glad to know its not just me!
Fracturedself
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby illuminate.obscurity » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:48 pm

ive always considered myself as hyper sensitive. certain sounds or sometimes sound period can trigger me. but some alters seem to tolerate it alot better. i find soothing stuff can help when im being triggered by noise.
If you think nobody cares if you are alive, try missing a couple of car payments. - Earl Wilson

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. - Thomas Edison
illuminate.obscurity
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:38 am

Postby Johnny-Jack » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:50 pm

We have two opposing sets of responses to loud noises. I, the host, usually have no startle response to sudden loud noises, which I recognized as odd. How can DID override what should be an autonomic nervous system response?

Most of the littles have a variety of negative or startle responses to particular strains of loud sounds: an adult male and female arguing, anyone talking loud, any sudden sound, city sounds like construction or sirens. I'm starting to have more reactions to sounds and based on the particular sensitivity, I can often determine which alter happens to be "hanging around" the front.
John(ny) academic, Sphinx gatekeeper
Marc 46 noble, Aaron 44 logger
Jonathan 33 suit, Quato 19 rebel
Dan 15 jock, Faolán 14 detacher
Nigel 12 reader, Jack 11 hillbilly, Ty 10 Brit
Brody 9 AllAm, Luke 8 farmboy
Chase 7 rich, Carter 6 softheart
Greg 6 secrets, Inky 5 jumble
Johann, Hansel 4 twins, Max 3½ freeze
Little John 3 quiet, Ashár 2 wolfdog
Henry 2 lost, Edward 1½ knight
Zeb 1 baby, Adam 8mo core
Johnny-Jack
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:38 am
Blog: View Blog (21)

Postby yakusoku » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:03 am

Um, yes. Like JJ, I myself have very little startle response to loud noise, but if a little is around, they are very jumpy. My T has labeled the response we have as PTSD-like. I have always been very "sensitive" to noise. I hear things at a lower volume than other people seem to. I get overwhelmed when music or TV is too loud or multiple sound sources are competing with one another. I am often the only one who can hear a baby crying in the background from another room. I can't fall asleep if there is any music on in the background or if there is a show on that I am not 100% familiar with. There have been times that I would play A&E's Pride and Prejudice DVDs on one peg of volume on my TV in the bedroom when H is out of town for business. Even at one peg, I could still follow it. I found that level of familar sound to be soothing as I tried to relax. Anything more than that gives me anxiety. I just came back from a camping trip where dozens of people were partying until the middle of the night. I came back an anxious wreck as a result. I also hear things musically that a lot of other people don't seem to be able to hear (things to do with tempo and harmony), so I don't know how much of this is to do with some sort of physical/genetic component to my hearing and how much might be the result of trauma or psychological development. My mother is a professional musician, so at least part of it is probably related to that. Another forum I participate in posted this article and quiz about being a "highly sensitive person" and some of the questions relate to noise/sound, so I thought I'd share it here.

http://www.psychologytoday.com...ense-and-sensitivity
http://www.hsperson.com/pages/test.htm
Yaku | ISH: OO; CT; Taylor | Michael (denial); Melanthe (control); Angel (shame masochist); __ (annihilation) | Robby (protector - 17); Sara (poet - 16); Rose (social - 15); Sam (tomboy - 10); Sonya (shame - 9); River (7); LY (hub - 6); Luke (disbelieved - 5); Grace (4); Mason and Claire (D-attachment - 2); Hana (1.5).
yakusoku
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Return to Dissociative Identity Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post