Our partner

Things that didn't happen

Dissociative Identity Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: Snaga, NewSunRising, lilyfairy

Things that didn't happen

Postby LittleRedDog » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:29 pm

As much as get confused over things that my alters do that I don't recall, I find it more confusing when I remember doing something and then discover there's no basis for this. My therapist finds this confusing too. Usually the stuff I remember is not trauma-related in anyway or even important, but I'll remember something like calling my therapist to set up another appointment and then when I see her she'll ask why I haven't called her. It happens enough that it goes beyond her (or other people involved) simply forgetting or missing a call, for example. Yet, she says she's never heard of anyone creating their own memories.

Has anyone else experienced this?
LittleRedDog
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:34 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Things that didn't happen

Postby broken_mirror » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:42 pm

I'm not sure I've experienced this,

but do you possibly think that an alter is showing you false information?
Maybe it was beneficial to your system to have false memories fill in the gaps?
Gaps can be scary, and I find myself trying to fill them in (Our system had worked out
a plan to show me mental pictures but no actual detail, just enough to make me believe
I remembered what happened, thus for years I thought I had all my memories).

Just some ideas to try and help you get to the root of the problem, the only time
I've ever experienced something like that was when I "crossed" memories and was
remembering pieces of a different time.
broken_mirror
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:34 pm

Postby LittleRedDog » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:45 pm

I suppose that's possible.

I found out the other day I randomly showed up at work and met someone while I was 100% I was taking a walk at that time. It came as a complete surprise when my coworkers wanted to know the who's, why's and what's. I'm don't even know who was out at that time, but if the system is supplying me with enough information to think something happened when I don't remember anything (I admit that I do find the lack of remembering disturbing), I suppose that could make sense.
LittleRedDog
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Persona X » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:18 pm

yes, this happens to me. i will have memories of saying and doing things that didn't happen
Each man in his time plays many parts.
Persona X
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby Johnny-Jack » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:54 pm

Yes, this has definitely happened for me. My alter Jonathan tells me he's frequently put ideas about what I supposedly did into my head, primarily to protect against the knowledge of losing time and of the existence of the alters. I've seen now how he did this as a kid, but I've also had that eerie feeling as an adult. It's been infrequent though, so I've often attributed it jokingly to myself as a poltergeist messing with me, early onset alzheimer's, generally poor memory, depression, or anything else except what I suspect it has usually or even always been the case now -- for some reason, an alter was giving me pictures, ideas of things that never happened.

He's not only told me how he's done it but given me examples. I just can't believe that it's never raised my suspicion to the level of "all right, something's wrong, I'm not going to stop until I get to the bottom of this." It's more like, "oh, crap, there's another one of those anomalies, I thought for sure I did that, oh, well, that's how my life is."

Maybe you should be on the lookout from now on or list when they happen. Or ask inside, who's doing this and why? If it's an alter, there may be a pattern.
Dx = DID. My blog. My personal Periodic Table of 78 alters.
Ab Ad Al Am An Ar As Ba Be Br Ca Cb Ch Cl Cm Cn Co Cp Ct Cu Cv D Eb Ed Er Es F Fl Ga Gd Go Gr Gw He Hk Hs Ht I J Jh Jk Jn Jy Ke Ki Kn Ky Li Lu Md Mi Mt Mx Mz Ne Ni O Pe Pi Q Ra Rd Ry Sc Se Sh Sk Sx Tk Ty U V Wa Wi X Y Ze Zn

Forum rules
Johnny-Jack
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (45)

Postby under ice » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:37 pm

I have memories of places I don't remember, and sometimes when I walk even in my own neighbourhood I feel like these other places are superimposed on the actual places. Other times, I've felt as if someone's memories are permeating my day, and on those days time goes more slowly.
under ice
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:34 pm
Blog: View Blog (7)

Postby LittleRedDog » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:08 pm

under ice wrote:I have memories of places I don't remember, and sometimes when I walk even in my own neighbourhood I feel like these other places are superimposed on the actual places. Other times, I've felt as if someone's memories are permeating my day, and on those days time goes more slowly.

I used to get this all the time. I used to live overseas and I remember walking once and suddenly being very confused. I was certain that I was back in my college town. I even knew what street I was on, but at the same time I knew I couldn't be there. I had to sit down for a while because I couldn't figure out where I was or which way I needed to go to get home. It was pretty terrifying. It still happens occasionally - I'll see someplace familiar, even in the vaguest sense, and suddenly I'll think I'm somewhere else. I used to think this was some sort of seizure.
LittleRedDog
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Mr.Fox » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:06 pm

I have this happen to me, It happens more when i'm under a lot of stress. Part of it I think is a self-sabotage thing, as much as I have always hated that term I'm coming to realize that one of my alters has been wrecking things for a long time by doing stuff like that. It's a lot of little things, gaps that get filled because I don't have any memory of it and then when I try to follow through with them, that bill I had paid wasn't or that appointment I was at I missed because it was last week, homework I could have sworn I had finished, things people have said to me that never actually happened.

Johnny-Jack wrote:I've often attributed it jokingly to myself as a poltergeist messing with me, early onset alzheimer's, generally poor memory, depression, or anything else except what I suspect it has usually or even always been the case now -- for some reason, an alter was giving me pictures, ideas of things that never happened.

I've had people tell me my whole life that I was forgetful and unreliable, or absent minded it was always hurtful to be looked down on when I tried so hard to keep it together and not knowing why it was so difficult.
Fox-28Shy,empathic,artistTod-28,Craftsman,worker,serious.Jon-16 Defensive,intelligent,laborer,self-destructive. Michelle-35(f)Librarian, supportive,caretaker.Flower-16caretaker,extremely shy,quiet.Lindsey-6 ISH for T.J.-5troubled kid.
Al-8(Nonverbal, formerly RAGE)
-A falling leaf does not hate the wind.-Zatoichi
Mr.Fox
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:34 pm

Postby Una+ » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:11 pm

Wow. Some of you guys have insiders who gaslight other insiders! That is just . . . awful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaslighting
Dx DID older woman married w kids. 0 Una, host + 3, 1, 5. 1 animal. 2 older man. 3 teen girl. 4 girl behind amnesia wall. 5 girl in love. Our thread.
Una+
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby LittleRedDog » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:51 pm

That's a creepy thought.

I hope it's not something being done intentionally. I can't imagine, even the nastier fellows, doing it on purpose. If it is, then some of us...all of us...need to have a serious conversation.
LittleRedDog
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Dissociative Identity Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post