Our partner

a lack of trauma?

Dissociative Identity Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: Snaga, NewSunRising, lilyfairy

a lack of trauma?

Postby Snaga » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:51 pm

Is trauma always a condition for the presence of alters? I mean, it would have to be, right? Or is it that maybe you just don't remember.

Does everyone have a known alter that remembers trauma?
We do not delete posts.
Please do read the Forum Rules
Snaga
Site Admin

Local time: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:07 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: a lack of trauma?

Postby Una+ » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:32 pm

I'm going to answer this in an indirect, general way:

1. The formal diagnosis of DID does not even mention trauma.
2. The formal diagnosis PTSD requires a specific identifiable trauma.
3. Most persons who are diagnosed with DID are also diagnosed with PTSD.
Dx DID older woman married w kids. 0 Una, host + 3, 1, 5. 1 animal. 2 older man. 3 teen girl. 4 girl behind amnesia wall. 5 girl in love. Our thread.
Una+
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:07 am

Postby Snaga » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:30 pm

From my reading, that's about what I'd thought.

Okay well thanks.... that's about what I thought, and I can't recall anything just terrible happening, although I was frightened by an awful lot of things as a small child.

Thanks for the reply, sweetie.
We do not delete posts.
Snaga
Site Admin

Postby SamsLand » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:21 pm

Hi Snaga,

I think it is worth saying, how do you define an event as traumatic? I have learned that much of my upbringing was full of traumatic experiences; experiences I thought were normal because they were every day occurrences.

And trauma can also be "what didn't happen that was supposed to" i.e. neglect.

In my recent days I have been reading a lot about PTSD, because I am new to experiencing the symptoms of it. I found this article which I thought expressed well C-PTSD.
https://ptsdawayout.com/dissociation/

I am not sure how you categorize PTSD and trauma in your mind, but a lot of people think of the trauma and PTSD related to specific events. I find some of the articles on complex PTSD do a really good job at reminding oneself that trauma isn't just about SA, natural disasters etc. There is so much more.
keep ya head up, Don't let up, keep slayin em
-eminem

not sure what the point was.
SamsLand
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:07 am
Blog: View Blog (8)

Postby Snaga » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:14 pm

I don't know.

Mind you, I'm not saying I have anything, except perhaps an overactive imagination. But several times over the last couple months it seems I have.... I don't know. I'm not sure. I don't hear others' voices. I do lately often have a sensation of pressure in my head, stiff neck, etc.. I don't have much in the way of lost time (usually). And when this.... let's call it an imaginary friend that's not a friend. A few times it's come to the fore, it seems, but I'm still aware and mostly remember what she said and did? And 'she' (if there is a she) acts all tough and threatens to embarrass me, us, whatever you want to call it- but when in the presence of others got very nervous and shy about being..... visible? Tried to not draw attention. Again, I think I've an overactive imagination and I'm talking out of my ass. But I feel each time, not quite in control of the situation, and things are familiar yet strange. And things aren't where she expects them? Like she wasn't sure where the glasses and plates were stored this morning. I don' know I remember it all, but what I do remember, it's like you remember something someone else did.

Oh and when um... me... gets back in complete control I get a little dizzy, at least twice when I seem to feel all me again.

Again... not claiming anything, just trying to figure out what the heck is going on, I'm probably deluding or putting myself in some kind of state but I don't know. One time, the most intense, it was actually a little scary because it's like I wasn't sure what she was going to do. She's the one who had the cheek to post the original post this morning. I'm so totally not up with this and I think I'm being silly. But it's a weird sensation.

Please don't hesitate to tell me I'm full of bullcrap.
We do not delete posts.
Snaga
Site Admin

Postby myce » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:48 am

Snaga wrote:I don't know.

Mind you, I'm not saying I have anything, except perhaps an overactive imagination. But several times over the last couple months it seems I have.... I don't know. I'm not sure. I don't hear others' voices. I do lately often have a sensation of pressure in my head, stiff neck, etc.. I don't have much in the way of lost time (usually). And when this.... let's call it an imaginary friend that's not a friend. A few times it's come to the fore, it seems, but I'm still aware and mostly remember what she said and did? And 'she' (if there is a she) acts all tough and threatens to embarrass me, us, whatever you want to call it- but when in the presence of others got very nervous and shy about being..... visible? Tried to not draw attention. Again, I think I've an overactive imagination and I'm talking out of my ass. But I feel each time, not quite in control of the situation, and things are familiar yet strange. And things aren't where she expects them? Like she wasn't sure where the glasses and plates were stored this morning. I don' know I remember it all, but what I do remember, it's like you remember something someone else did.

Oh and when um... me... gets back in complete control I get a little dizzy, at least twice when I seem to feel all me again.

Again... not claiming anything, just trying to figure out what the heck is going on, I'm probably deluding or putting myself in some kind of state but I don't know. One time, the most intense, it was actually a little scary because it's like I wasn't sure what she was going to do. She's the one who had the cheek to post the original post this morning. I'm so totally not up with this and I think I'm being silly. But it's a weird sensation.

Please don't hesitate to tell me I'm full of bullcrap.

It is normal with DID/OSDD to deny what is happening because the disorder hides itself and your memories. Emotional pain, neglect and betrayal can cause trauma. A double-bind can cause the mind to fracture, such as if you are provoked to anger that you are forbidden to express during childhood. The feeling grows in isolation and develops a mind of her own.

My suggestion is to learn some grounding techniques. You may need this later on as you find what is going on inside you. Grounding helps you stay connected to the here-and-now using your five senses. Start trying to communicate with this other and find out who she is and what she wants. I usually just communicate by thoughts, but many people find it helpful to write things down.
myce
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:07 pm
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Snaga » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:23 am

Keeping in mind that I'm still not claiming anything other than an overactive imagination...

The first time I got an impression of first initial and a little of appearance. That's solidified into Samantha.

She wants OUT. Or so she fancies. She's taunted me with that's of not going back in, acting out, or intentionally embarrassing me. In reality she has some self control- or I'm able to provide a moderating influence- which would be my biggest reason to disbelieve this is an alter in the proper sense.

Twice I've majorly felt she was in control- that I know of. First time was by surprise and uninvited. The second I foolishly (her words) invited her to come forth. That time wasn't as intense but it was more interesting as I got to see her react to the sig other and I'm surprised the s/o didn't notice how strange 'I' was behaving- somewhat as a (thankfully) polite stranger.

It's like she likes to threaten action that I would find hard to explain away, but really isn't sure if she wants to become known to the world. She said she's been in me a long time.
We do not delete posts.
Snaga
Site Admin

Postby Una+ » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:10 pm

Well, the usual next steps are to score yourself on the Dissociative Experiences Scale, then take the scored form to a qualified expert for a diagnostic consultation.

I don't know where in the world you are but the ISSTD (isst-d.org) has a "Find a Therapist" search tool on their website. That's a good place to start, if you need help finding someone to do a consultation with you. And you can also get a free initial evaluation by mail from the Pottergate Centre in the UK even if you are not in the UK. There are other resources online as well; look through old DID Forum threads for other leads.
Dx DID older woman married w kids. 0 Una, host + 3, 1, 5. 1 animal. 2 older man. 3 teen girl. 4 girl behind amnesia wall. 5 girl in love. Our thread.
Una+
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:07 am

Postby Snaga » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:09 pm

Well that's another thing. I've never before scored very high on the scale, so I have my doubts. Of course I haven't taken it lately. Maybe that free initial evaluation wouldn't be a bad thing.... thanks for the info :)
We do not delete posts.
Snaga
Site Admin

Postby shininglights » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:19 pm

Hi Snaga,

As SamsLand says, certain things that may not appear traumatic may have traumatized you when you were younger. Being frightened by many things (and not being soothed by a parent or guardian) was probably not good for you.

I didn't feel as if I was traumatized, but realized (after reading SamsLand's link) that I have been displaying some symptoms of (complex) PTSD, such as avoidance of triggering things, flashbacks/intrusive thoughts, etc. Even though I didn't (and don't) "feel" traumatized, I have many characteristics of being traumatized and dealing with it in ways that correspond to certain symptom clusters that inhabit certain diagnoses.
Just because I don't have a specific event that would lead to distress and flashbacks, doesn't mean my brain and body haven't been affected by the various traumatic things that have happened to me in my life from childhood and on.

Understanding what can be traumatizing to someone at certain points in their life is crucial for understanding development of dissociative disorders and other trauma-related disorders.
Host
DID/OSDD, cPTSD, ADHD
Hosts—18n INFJ (they/them)
Sven—rational, rejects affection ~16m ISTJ
Atrias (TA for short)—BPD teen, co-host ~14m ESFP
Shadow—efficient robot, no age/m ESTJ
and plenty more.

There are 360 degrees—why stick to just one?
shininglights
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:07 am

Next

Return to Dissociative Identity Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post