Our partner

Approaching It All in Therapy

Dissociative Identity Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: Snaga, NewSunRising, lilyfairy

Approaching It All in Therapy

Postby nosynuisance » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:11 am

I want so much to just blurt out everything to my new therapist about how I know I have DID and was misdiagnosed BPD :oops: but I'm so scared that I'll end up not being believed and taken seriously (which is what has kept me refusing *actual help* for so long - I had several therapists but none of them have helped anything really :cry: ...oh and just fyi there's no way in hell we'll accept integration )

I want to be honest but obviously self-diagnosis is looked down upon and there are so many risks and issues with trying to get help with anything DID related due to all the stigmas, horrible portrayal by media, misinformed judgements etc., :(

I don't know what to do because I just f*cking know it's DID. I've never been so sure of anything in my entire life...

but every one else's doubt in me makes me feel like it's not even worth seeing a therapist any more because they haven't helped anything and it feels like at this point it's better to give up completely :/ All I want is to be taken seriously and I'm just so sick and tired of getting worse when I'm supposed to be getting "better" from people I should be able to feel supported by

anyways sorry for the rant :( I'm just sick of being stuck like this for so long when I know I don't have to be
nosynuisance
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:02 pm
Blog: View Blog (2)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Approaching It All in Therapy

Postby FaithinWrongthings » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:32 am

Hey, the bet thing to do is let her figure that out herself.

I wouldn't tell her at all, because honestly she may not take you seriously.

The best way to go about it is to lie other members of your system make themselves known and let her figure it out by herself.

That's what were doing with our new trauma t (were already see one but now were gonna see two)

And we know from experience it's safest.

~Kayden
If you know me from the D.I.D forum a couple years ago, feel free to PM me, just know i go by a different name now.(I'm gender fluid)
I am Kayden, a 17 yo diagnosed PTSD TS & Bipolar. Undiagnosed DID used to be DXed with mood disorder with psychosis but somewhere along the lines they forgot about the psychosis?
FaithinWrongthings
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (5)

Postby ThatPerson » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:49 am

What if they don't figure it out? There's no guarantee that they will....
Miestro:(M)
Steve:(M) Gaurdian. Very blunt, and can be a bit of a jerk, but honorable.
Alexandr:(M)Logical distant and pragmatic.
Ace:(M)Emotionless and logical. Systems manager.
Binary:System programmer.
Daimen:(M)(Day-men) Eight years old, hurt and shy, but happy and easily pleased.
Fenris:Yearling wolf.
ThatPerson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:02 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby MakersDozn » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:03 am

ThatPerson wrote:What if they don't figure it out? There's no guarantee that they will....

Agree. If we aren't honest with our T, we're wasting our time and hers. And if she weren't willing or able to work with us in a way that really helps us, then we're wasting our time as well.

MDs
Body cis ♀ (1962). Realized 1996 that we're multiple. System of 47, all cis: 42 ♀, 5 ♂; 17 littles (0-7+), 9 middles (8-11+), 14 teens (12-17+), 5 bigs (18+), + formless yin/yang.

Notable: Charity 25 (oldest), Deborah 23, Drew 23f, Mary 23, Rachel 23, Laura 17.5, Allegra 17, Cass 17, shawn 16f.
Blog | Our Story | Journey
MakersDozn
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby FaithinWrongthings » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:00 am

I guess you guys are right.

Idk, that post is probably just my bad experiences talking.

-- Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:00 pm --

I guess you guys are right.

Idk, that post is probably just my bad experiences talking.
If you know me from the D.I.D forum a couple years ago, feel free to PM me, just know i go by a different name now.(I'm gender fluid)
I am Kayden, a 17 yo diagnosed PTSD TS & Bipolar. Undiagnosed DID used to be DXed with mood disorder with psychosis but somewhere along the lines they forgot about the psychosis?
FaithinWrongthings
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (5)

Postby theclocksystem » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:48 pm

We're misdiagnosed as BPD as well - I mean, I know we have BPD, or at least I know ONE OF US who does, but BPD is secondary. DID is definitely what our primary diagnosis ought to be. I know how you're feeling, my therapist is actually on the verge of accepting that we have DID (our treatment is based upon a guide for dissociative disorders) but seems from time to time to ignore or forget the fact that there is multiple of us rather than one. My psychiatric doctors on the other hand were first dead certain on schizophrenia, then when they ruled that out they diagnosed me (for the second time in two years) with BPD, saying my 'fluctuations of self' are just that. DID is something that not every professional even believes to be true. That sucks balls. I agree with the others on not telling about it, in case your therapist is one of those people that doesn't believe in DID. However, if they seem more open to it, I don't see why try to poke the bear with a stick, so to speak, and see if they would be responsive to a conversation on diagnostic criteria and such.
L - host (22)
Lilu - secondary host (17)
Miss - trauma holder (15)
Moana - protector, analytical (29)
Aleks - protector, carer (29)
Bunny - little, happiness holder (3-10)
Pingu - little, trauma holder (5)
Dawn - perpetrator, fictive (200)
Claudia - little, perpetrator (12)
Lydia - depressive, suicidal (22)
theclocksystem
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:02 am
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby MakersDozn » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:01 pm

Cool avatar.

theclocksystem wrote:I agree with the others on not telling about it, in case your therapist is one of those people that doesn't believe in DID.

If the therapist doesn't believe in it, how will that therapist be of any real help? Not telling only avoids knowing the truth. As we said, our time and well-being are too valuable to waste on treatment that's unsuitable, or even worse, harmful.

MDs
Body cis ♀ (1962). Realized 1996 that we're multiple. System of 47, all cis: 42 ♀, 5 ♂; 17 littles (0-7+), 9 middles (8-11+), 14 teens (12-17+), 5 bigs (18+), + formless yin/yang.

Notable: Charity 25 (oldest), Deborah 23, Drew 23f, Mary 23, Rachel 23, Laura 17.5, Allegra 17, Cass 17, shawn 16f.
Blog | Our Story | Journey
MakersDozn
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Return to Dissociative Identity Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post