Our partner

EMDR for Alters: Can it work?

Dissociative Identity Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: Snaga, NewSunRising, lilyfairy

Re: EMDR for Alters: Can it work?

Postby Johnny-Jack » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:20 am

I've definitely found EMDR to be helpful in opening up memory channels but it's early. Several alters, particularly Sphinx, have insisted on us finding a T who uses EMDR as part of therapy, so I did. We've probably used it a dozen times max. We need to do 1-2 sessions soon on reinforcing and reorganizing our safe place for littlest alters not directly involved in a particular trauma.

Our T uses the alternately vibrating pads about the length of your little finger which you hold in your palm. During the first sessions, strains of trauma memory and chaotic emotions of all sorts started rising up at once. So it was clear we had to approach its use in a more standard way. I had wanted to jump right in and convinced my T we have system-wide barriers to prevent overwhelm. Indeed we do so I can afford to take risks.

During a recent use, the pads uncharacteristically had zero effect for 10-15 minutes. This made no sense until Sphinx realized we were blocking their effect automatically, though it was taking tremendous energy. So we had to shift things inside.

I've done a lot of reading on it. Particularly useful was chapter 31, "An EMDR Protocol for Dissociative Identity Disorder," from the book Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) Scripted Protocols: Special Populations by Marilyn Luber. When a non-DID person experiences a trauma, like an automobile accident, they can often begin EMDR with a basic narrative outline of the event. We with DID usually start out amnesic for much or all of an event so we have unique challenges.

My goal is to complete the preliminary work (such as creating a solid safe place) with T so that we can get to where firelamb67 is with it, processing specific trauma. Your post was really important as part of this conversation, firelamb, reminding us that it can work for many people with DID.

-- Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:21 pm --

I've definitely found EMDR to be helpful in opening up memory channels but it's early. Several alters, particularly Sphinx, have insisted on us finding a T who uses EMDR as part of therapy, so I did. We've probably used it a dozen times max. We need to do 1-2 sessions soon on reinforcing and reorganizing our safe place for littlest alters not directly involved in a particular trauma.

Our T uses the alternately vibrating pads about the length of your little finger which you hold in your palm. During the first sessions, strains of trauma memory and chaotic emotions of all sorts started rising up at once. So it was clear we had to approach its use in a more standard way. I had wanted to jump right in and convinced my T we have system-wide barriers to prevent overwhelm. Indeed we do so I can afford to take risks.

During a recent use, the pads uncharacteristically had zero effect for 10-15 minutes. This made no sense until Sphinx realized we were blocking their effect automatically, though it was taking tremendous energy. So we had to shift things inside.

I've done a lot of reading on it. Particularly useful was chapter 31, "An EMDR Protocol for Dissociative Identity Disorder," from the book Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) Scripted Protocols: Special Populations by Marilyn Luber. When a non-DID person experiences a trauma, like an automobile accident, they can often begin EMDR with a basic narrative outline of the event. We with DID usually start out amnesic for much or all of an event so we have unique challenges.

My goal is to complete the preliminary work (such as creating a solid safe place) with T so that we can get to where firelamb67 is with it, processing specific trauma. Your post was really important as part of this conversation, firelamb, reminding us that it can work for many people with DID.
Dx = DID. My blog. My personal Periodic Table of 78 alters.
Ab Ad Al Am An Ar As Ba Be Br Ca Cb Ch Cl Cm Cn Co Cp Ct Cu Cv D Eb Ed Er Es F Fl Ga Gd Go Gr Gw He Hk Hs Ht I J Jh Jk Jn Jy Ke Ki Kn Ky Li Lu Md Mi Mt Mx Mz Ne Ni O Pe Pi Q Ra Rd Ry Sc Se Sh Sk Sx Tk Ty U V Wa Wi X Y Ze Zn

Forum rules
Johnny-Jack
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:35 am
Blog: View Blog (45)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby INEEDTHISS » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:11 am

firelamb67 wrote:I'm sorry. I put a TW where I thought one was warranted. The rest of it it is just an explanation of how EMDR works. I didn't see or know anything I wrote would trigger anyone. It was just a basic explanation. I didn't even use examples that I know would have been a trigger and would have marked it as so. I went back and reread what I wrote and don't feel the I did anything wrong. If I had used a specific example with no TW, i'd understand.

I'm sorry you got triggered. Everything I wrote was generic except for the TW I put at the beginning. I don't think you're being fair to me because it triggered you so. I had no way to know and left specific examples out because I didn't want to trigger anyone.

Again, i'm sorry it hurt you. I'm not a dude. And I try to be very sensitive when I post things. Now YOU'VE triggered me. You really hurt my feelings about this. Nothing egregious was done.

Sorry that it felt I was criticizing you one of me just freaked out. as you were explaining the exercise one of me started doing it. recalling things and almost seemingly feeling your pain. I tend to pick up strong emotions. I'm pretty sure it wasn't intentional it may not have been your writing it could've been me.
INEEDTHISS
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:35 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Nondescript » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:39 am

What a great thread!

I was looking for something else and found this in a chat transcript with a therapist who treats DID and uses EMDR. Someone asked, "And how effective is EMDR on treating DID?":
Paula McHugh: That's a good thing to use after a client gets through with a lot of memory work. Before that, it seems like it would be too powerful. I only use it later in therapy, when I know how a person reacts in most situations. I don't want to get into more than we can handle. EMDR is great for the finishing up stuff in therapy.

http://www.healthyplace.com/abuse/transcripts/dissociative-identity-disorder-multiple-personality-disorder-to-integrate-personalities-or-not-to-integrate/did/
Nondescript
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:35 am
Blog: View Blog (2)

Previous

Return to Dissociative Identity Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post