Our partner

Begining to "Come Out"... does anyone have advice?

Dissociative Identity Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: Snaga, NewSunRising, lilyfairy

Begining to "Come Out"... does anyone have advice?

Postby ShadowBandit1025 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:53 pm

So I've decided in the past year or so that I would start coming out to people.. I've been lieing about this since I was 15 (Jess says 13, but I don't remember that at all so I say 15). I'm 21 now. I started coming out to my friends.. a few of my friends already know because one of my teenage alters (gone now) decided to f* with all of them and pretend to be possessed and my choices were either pretend that it was me who was joking (one of the friends I was with has a horrid phobia of ouija boards and things like that) and be seen as a bitch or tell them about my DID... they don't believe me.. one of the girls does (the girl with the phobia) but the others say "oh yeah okay" and then talk about how much of a liar I am behind my back.. -_- So that deteered me from telling people, but I have started to come around to the idea of it... I told my writing club, and they were understanding, but then started talking about "aren't all writers like that in a way". I've told my fiance, and she is the most understanding and loving persona bout it... I haven't told any of my family yet though. I tried talking to my dad about it without telling him I had it just to test how he'd react. I told him that one of the girls on my self harm support group I (co)run was just diagnosed with it and asked if he knew anything about it... he went on to talk about a study they did a while back on whether it's your mind splitting into different pieces or if it's legitimately different personalities, and from there he went on to (once again) talk about one of his AA stories... so I never got a clear answer on where he stands with all of it.. his wife is a psychiatrist, who likes to pretend she knows everything about me and micromanage all of my diagnoses.. so I'm scared to death to tell them.. my sisters are understanding and I don't think they'd cause me trouble but I'm scared to tell them.. same with my mom (and I know the second I tell my mom the entire city will know because she can't keep keep her mouth shut about my life UNLESS IT WOULD PUT A NEGATIVE IMAGE ON HER, like when she kicked me out after I attempted suicide for being "too traumatic" on my sisters)...
I'm tired of the lies and I'm tired of the deceit and I Chris (new alter) is not happy at all that he has to hide himself from my grandparents (who I live with now).
DOES IT EVER GET EASIER!? EVER!? :'(
Dx'd in April 2017 (24 y/o), been aware of multiples since 13 (didn't realize it was DID until 18 or 19).

Mads (host/original, 24)
Jess (mom, 23)
Rick (protector, 18)
Sapphire (sexual, 16)
Chris (mute age-slider, currently 14)
Alice (little, 6)
Dot (fragment)
X (???)
ShadowBandit1025
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:49 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Begining to "Come Out"... does anyone have advice?

Postby TheCollective » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:55 pm

Things don't get easier. We just get better at dealing with them.
May I ask why you want to tell everyone?
My experiences showed me that I have to be careful about who I tell about the DID. I only tell people who matter to me or when I absolutely can't hide it. Say a child alter would very noticeably come out and I'd have to explain myself or, yes, when one of us ran off and effed some dude, I had to tell him I don't remember cause it wasn't me and that I would not make that choice.

I agree all artsy people are a bit nutty. It can be seen as a gift as well. Someone who hears music in their head can be labeled with auditory hallucinations but it can also be a gift. Definitely do not tell your mother as long as you are vulnerable to her. You can never untell you know. You can think about it many times whether this person really needs this information about you, but once you told you can't untell and you make yourself vulnerable about something very personal. Some people might even take bad advantage of this information. I know it gets totally lonely. I don't know if telling random people would solve that loneliness. I think loneliness comes from inside ourselves, from missing pieces. Sure everyone needs a support network but it's not like just anyone can be a support person. Most nons in my life that do know about us, definitely do not fill any voids. It's nice when my friend knows that my alter is out and that he can talk to her some, but it really isn't worth taking such a risk with just anyone. And really even if they know, I don't feel like they really understand like another multiple can understand. But this is just my opinion.
~TheCollective, F. 31

Dx DID, C-PTSD, BPD. Suspect bipolar.
Rx citalopram 20 mg, depakine 600 mg, abilify 5 mg
TheCollective
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:49 pm

Postby ShadowBandit1025 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:47 pm

If I do end up telling her it'll be when I leave town.. I plan on moving to Ohio with the fiance in the next year and thought I'd tell people then.. or not at all and just leave it be.. I just I hate lying to people and I feel like because I'm not telling people like my siblings and mom then it kind of makes it more believable that it's all made up... without getting into details... *tw*(?) My friends group is known for the people who are susceptible to things.. and I have a group of friends who have recently come up with some story on how they have a spiritual being in their body and yada yada yada... and it's just making everything hard because everyone kind of knows they are full of $#%^ but are just kinda like "yeah okay sure" in front of them to not start fights..but it's making things harder on me.. it's the reason my teenage alter decided to do what he did, because he was tired of their sh* and the way they were making me feel..
I'm just so frustrated... and it's making me suicidal... I can't keep living like this.
Dx'd in April 2017 (24 y/o), been aware of multiples since 13 (didn't realize it was DID until 18 or 19).

Mads (host/original, 24)
Jess (mom, 23)
Rick (protector, 18)
Sapphire (sexual, 16)
Alice (little, 6)
Dot (fragment)
X (???)
ShadowBandit1025
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby Violarules » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:55 pm

ShadowBandit1025 wrote:If I do end up telling her it'll be when I leave town.. I plan on moving to Ohio with the fiance in the next year and thought I'd tell people then.. or not at all and just leave it be.. I just I hate lying to people and I feel like because I'm not telling people like my siblings and mom then it kind of makes it more believable that it's all made up... without getting into details... *tw*(?) My friends group is known for the people who are susceptible to things.. and I have a group of friends who have recently come up with some story on how they have a spiritual being in their body and yada yada yada... and it's just making everything hard because everyone kind of knows they are full of $#%^ but are just kinda like "yeah okay sure" in front of them to not start fights..but it's making things harder on me.. it's the reason my teenage alter decided to do what he did, because he was tired of their sh* and the way they were making me feel..
I'm just so frustrated... and it's making me suicidal... I can't keep living like this.

I'm sorry to hear your friends aren't making this easy on you but things will get better. I think letting it be or telling your friends that the spiritual beings thing makes you uncomfortable and ask them to stop. I can relate since *TW* I have visual and auditory hallucinations and my brother's always saying it's paranormal activity which annoys me *end TW* I think just taking things slow and it's true not everyone is going to believe you but if telling then makes you feel better, then that makes it worth it, regardless of how others react to it.
I have ADHD. Possibly have another mental disorder but am not certain.

Viola, Host 26 ADHD, Narcolepsy, Depression (possible DID?)
Cynthia, 17
Jeremy, 22
Sasha, 5
Keith, 10
William, 23
Computer. Female, Age: Unknown. System Manager.
Violarules
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:49 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby ShadowBandit1025 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:59 pm

Thanks.

Mads (host/original, 24)
Jess (mom, 23)
Rick (protector, 18)
Sapphire (sexual, 16)
Alice (little, 6)
Dot (fragment)
X (???)
ShadowBandit1025
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby Violarules » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:12 am

You're welcome. I'm happy to try and help anyway I can.
I have ADHD. Possibly have another mental disorder but am not certain.

Viola, Host 26 ADHD, Narcolepsy, Depression (possible DID?)
Cynthia, 17
Jeremy, 22
Sasha, 5
Keith, 10
William, 23
Computer. Female, Age: Unknown. System Manager.
Violarules
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:49 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Return to Dissociative Identity Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post