Our partner

Advice on switching?

Dissociative Identity Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: Snaga, NewSunRising, lilyfairy

Advice on switching?

Postby UsSally » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:40 pm

I feel like we are switching but why am I still in front? Could it be that someone has just accompanied me? 'Cuz if that isn't the thing then I guess we're just having shakes or something.
Sally
Sally/f 20ish (Ex-Host, Helper(mother)); Kat/f 14 (Original, Ex-host); Alexis/f 14-16 (Verbal/Privacy Protector);Percylla/f age slider (Depressive); Cat(Kitty)/f 9, 14 or 16 (Child); Lola/f ? (Host, musical); Aster/ ? ? (Asperger's, Co-Host); Valery/f ? (Babe) and more...
UsSally
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:13 am
Blog: View Blog (4)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Advice on switching?

Postby forever21 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:39 pm

Yes - I personally call it layering. While different sources define the "host" differently, the host is sometimes referred to as a shell. The shell takes on the alters, who have more or less executive control depending on the situation. I experience the host as the one who presents to the world most frequently. The host may be layered with others. While layered with another alter, the host may receive intrusive thoughts from someone in the back ground, an uneasy feeling, anxiety, a touch of paranoia etc...

I think there are benefits to being layered. If the host is layered, meaning also present alongside an alter, it allows for some sense of continuity of consciousness. I believe this is the mechanism that enables DID to be hidden from ourselves and others as a way of keeping our coping mechinism in tact.

Personally, although the host may be present most of the time, bits and pieces of my memory are lost depending on how dominant the layered alter is. I had a full on switch the other day where a very dominant alter took executive control over the host. The host was in no way able to control the actions. The system was able to advise, counsel and speak to the dominant alter named Priciphany, but she was too strong for any of us to overcome. She basically responded to a situation in a way that potentially had a negative affect on the system. We think we smoothed things over later, but that is still to be seen.

But Priciphany's often has influence as a layer without executive control of the body. She issues comments in my head, sometimes violent images (may be confusing that with another alter). Therefore I believe an alter can be more or less layered with the host depending on the situation.

I'm curious what others experience along these lines
Diamond, Priciphany, Trinity, Sara, Jodi, Roxy, Missy, Dolly, Daisy , Red
forever21
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:13 pm
Blog: View Blog (2)

Return to Dissociative Identity Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post