Our partner

Do alters have to have different names?

Dissociative Identity Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: Snaga, NewSunRising, lilyfairy

Do alters have to have different names?

Postby AShatteredSoul » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:01 am

I've been wondering this and looking at resources of various types, I haven't really come acrossed an answer.
From what I've read (and heard), it mostly says that alters have/go by different names.
What I'm wondering is, do they have to have different names, to actually be considered DID? Or Can alters all just respond to the host's Or rather the "Given" name of the person?

I'm not sure if I have DID or not. But I have alot of the symptoms of DID. I have Depersonalization, Derealization, Identity Confusion, Identity Alteration (normal it's subtle), and I have Amnesia/ Time loss.
I also hear "Inner voices", have nightmares and sleeping problems, panic attacks, body memories (I believe that's what it is), I have severe headaches (that medication doesn't help). and the list can go on.
I've been diagnosed with Bipolar disorder, and ADD. PTSD(?) My counselor asked the other day if I've talked to my "Med Doc" about my past trauma. Because he said that he doesn't think that I'm actually Bipolar. Though, I do have Alot of the symptoms of Bipolar (Obviously since I was diagnosed with it. haha) But I have alot more than just those symptoms.

And Well, people have said that I could have DID, but the thing is. I don't go by any other names (Well I have alot of nicknames, but those are only names other people have given me).

So for it to be "true" alters, Do they have to have other names?
My Scars, They are like stripes on a Tiger.
What makes Him unique. Makes Him Beautiful.
No, I won't be ashamed. Won't hide them.
They Are My Stripes.
To show, I do have Willpower, Strength & Courage. That I Am Beautiful. No matter what anyone says. (Even Myself)
I'll embrace the Tiger. Listen to His Soul.
AShatteredSoul
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:17 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Do alters have to have different names?

Postby Havoctoria » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:30 am

I don't think so. My system uses different names on here (or we give them names to be called by here) so other people can tell us apart. In real life though, most of us have the same name.
Those of us who have a name, that is.
So allein will ich nicht sein
Ich such dich unter jedem Stein
Ich schlaf mit einem Messer ein
Wo bist du? Wo bist du?

Regina (host; diagnosed with BPD and MDD) | Gray | Helen | Len | Barb | and at least four others
Havoctoria
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (71)

Postby riverside » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:26 pm

hi there

When i read you post i really wanted to reply beause your story reads very much like mine.

I was first dx with ANXIETY DISORDER , PTSD, CPTSD, ADD, DYSLEXIA, . O and just being a plane pain in the butt. Turns out yes i do have cptsd but i dont have dyslexia of add what i do have is alters of different ages and therefore educations levels and abilities, also levels of excitability.

Do alters have to have names - no :) Only one of mine had a 'sure' name and that was SAM my first friend, i just knew him as a friend not an alter when i was 2/3 years old!!I had shadows or glimpsies of names that would flaot in and out and around my head and repeat over and over again in books i would write and cartoons etc, like they were trying to communicate. The names were like 'inner voices' that were wispering names to me and drawing memories into my head. I would have repeative nightmares of things that i didnt remember but it was all so real. Then i had my breakdown and come to the realisation and uncovered the truth that they were real.

I do not and have never gone by other names, never , never ever :) but i had a friend called sam that lived inside me that i never realised lived inside me, i thought he was real but in fact it was me switching back and forth or me having such a reach internall imaganation that i was inside my head with him.

The others came as i grew and were suttle.... some more pronounced but accepted as me being me.

May i ask if you have looked up what kind of 'typical' roles alters take on? I was wondering if the inner voices have certain roles? etc.

hope that helps in soem way.

kind respects

river
River [main host]
Sam
Stuart
Jerry
William
Echo (little)
Wisper (little)
Elliott (little)
Ethan (Little)
Ethan's Sister (Little)
Baby Claire
riverside
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:17 am
Blog: View Blog (7)

Postby AShatteredSoul » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:03 pm

riverside wrote:May i ask if you have looked up what kind of 'typical' roles alters take on? I was wondering if the inner voices have certain roles? etc.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by roles. But I know there's a little girl. (she talks to me. she says that she's 5 but I'm not completely sure about that.) Then there are two that are protective. One's more of a physical fighter. like if you come near me or touch me I'll kick your A*ss! (this one's a male I believe. Atleast when I hear him talk "inside", It's a male voice. And when that part comes out, my voice does get a bit deeper.) The other protective one is more non-violent, I guess. I've noticed that there is also a submissive part. That just goes along with whatever anyone tells me to do.
I don't know there are other parts too. I'm not completely sure about all of them. I've noticed that alot of times I "switch" when I talk to people. If it's about something difficult or distressing. I'll go in and out. And my tone and body laungage will change at the drop of a hat, at a slight movement, anything.
I don't really know. It makes me confused. And everyone around gets confused too, because they don't understand why I did or said something. Half the time I don't remember things I just said or did or I just don't have control over it. (that sounds like a lame excuse but)

I don't even know if I'm making sense right now.
They Are My Stripes.
To show, I do have Willpower, Strength & Courage. That I Am Beautiful. No matter what anyone says. (Even Myself)
AShatteredSoul
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby riverside » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:45 pm

hey there, glad to see you posted back.

A lot of stuff written on DID have said and this is by no means definative because i know some some people on here with DID are a bit passionate about this being not the case! but here go's -

there has been a thew studies that have found upon investigation inwards people with did seem to have a collection of alters with simular functions. So for example ; the protector. You said you have one that is like touch me and ill kill you. I do to :0) and so do sooooooooooooooooo meny others with did. Littles are also very very very common, so common they are are common as breathing i think! So you said you have a girl who said she is 5. I have two little . I have little river who ranges in age from 3 to 5 and eliott who ranges from 3 to 7. When you said your not sure how true it is- trust yourself. Its one of the first steps to getting your head sorted out. there are other roles or functions that are common like hang on we have the protector, the littles o the internal self helper. So like the 'nanny' or the house keeper who keeps everyone in check and makes sure no one gose completly off the programe. I thought i didnt have one. I thought jake was my protector, i think his my helper but im not sure he could be both.

Basically there are no rules but there are things that commonly occcur :) If you type in dissociative identity disorder and the different roles or functions of alters or something like that in google it will bring up loads of articals and information to help you out.

you also said

I don't really know. It makes me confused. And everyone around gets confused too, because they don't understand why I did or said something. Half the time I don't remember things I just said or did or I just don't have control over it. (that sounds like a lame excuse but)

o yes, me to a T, thats why i got the ADD thing but the problem is its not all the time. I could teach and not have any ADD traits but then id be all over the palce - so how would that work? so people thought it was an if-it disorder. if and when it suited me!!!!! The reason you wont remember half the time is because it may be another part of you talking through you that is saying the stuff you cant remember. I often dont have control over a movement so i twitch a lot or like tonight i made toast and ended up with chocolate spread and crushed merengue!!!! i was like look little NO, NO o noooooo.... AND she is laughing at me in a playful way but you know what. It tasted nice :) lol

Are you keeping a journal?
Have you spoken about DID with your T?
Dose your T know about dissociative disorders?
Are you aware of local services of speaclists in dissociation?

Have you also tried asking them if they want you to call them by a name? What is often advised if if they dont answer is to give them a name. Its like a mark of respect. Other wise its like calling a part of your self IT or YOU or THING.... its respectful. Gets them in the mood to work with you.

Look forward to hearing from all of you

big river n co.
River [main host]
Sam
Stuart
Jerry
William
Echo (little)
Wisper (little)
Elliott (little)
Ethan (Little)
Ethan's Sister (Little)
Baby Claire
riverside
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (7)

Postby AShatteredSoul » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:35 pm

riverside wrote:Are you keeping a journal?
Have you spoken about DID with your T?
Dose your T know about dissociative disorders?

I do write alot. Well most of the time anyways. My journal writings go all over the place. Hard to read and follow most of the time. I have racing thoughts. My brain goes to fast for me to actually write everything down. Haha.
I haven't asked my counselor if he thinks I could have DID. He does know about dissociative disorders and It's been extremely clear that I do have some kind of dissociative disorder. But I haven't asked about DID, or talked to him about it.
I've wanted to ask him but there's a part that says Shut the h*ll up! So I haven't yet asked. I want to, because I really just want to know for sure.

riverside wrote:Have you also tried asking them if they want you to call them by a name? What is often advised if if they dont answer is to give them a name. Its like a mark of respect. Other wise its like calling a part of your self IT or YOU or THING.... its respectful. Gets them in the mood to work with you.

I feel weird to give them a name. Because one I'm not sure if they are, Um... Alters I guess. I don't know. And two if they are truely alters, it feels like if I give them a name it's like naming a pet and that feels wrong. Though, I suppose you do have to name kids and such because if you don't then you would just be calling them It or You or Thing... but I don't know it still feels weird.
They Are My Stripes.
AShatteredSoul
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby abreality » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:31 am

No,not necessarily, in my experience.
We have "inside" names, and will go as the body's name when called upon. We never really disclose ourselves to someone unless the person is completely anonymous/we'll never run into them again, or is directly called upon by a therapist or a really, really close friend. This is a really important measure for us to take in terms of privacy and feeling safe in the external world, and was a practice derived during a switch with the body's mother present, in which we were reprimanded for being so blatantly not the host (many, many eons ago). It's reflexive now, and often makes it difficult for the host to understand who is "out" (although that can be calculated based on action/thought/words). Lately, internal naming has been most helpful in gaining a point of reference inside. The most difficult thing we have experienced is the very definitive "we" instead of the singular "I" when speaking... it's been excruciatingly difficult lately to not say "we" inadvertently in conversations.
abreality
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Una+ » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:35 am

If your other alters decide they want to have their own names, they will tell you.
Dx DID older woman married w kids. 0 Una, host + 3, 1, 5. 1 animal. 2 older man. 3 teen girl. 4 girl behind amnesia wall. 5 girl in love. Our thread.
Una+
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby riverside » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:03 am

hey again

I do write alot. Well most of the time anyways. My journal writings go all over the place. Hard to read and follow most of the time. I have racing thoughts. My brain goes to fast for me to actually write everything down. Haha.
I haven't asked my counselor if he thinks I could have DID. He does know about dissociative disorders and It's been extremely clear that I do have some kind of dissociative disorder. But I haven't asked about DID, or talked to him about it.
I've wanted to ask him but there's a part that says Shut the h*ll up! So I haven't yet asked. I want to, because I really just want to know for sure.

Great that you use a journel, in forever i have never heard anyone say , who used one, that they didnt find it help - thats anyone mental or not!! Sucks that it go's faster when you writes stuff down - i have the opposite problem my mouth drops and i go gaga like i find it difficult to get going. Once i have a flow im ok..lol. Have you dried DRAGON software? I was thinking because it is where you talk into the head phone and it types on the computer for you>? Thought it might cut out the interferance.... lol. I used it back when i couldnt use my arms/hands, it taylors to your voice only problem is it only works if you have an english accent!!! slightly major problem actually!!

Is your counselor a counselor or a psycologyst? Have you read up about identity alteration in depersalisation?

I feel weird to give them a name. Because one I'm not sure if they are, Um... Alters I guess. I don't know. And two if they are truely alters, it feels like if I give them a name it's like naming a pet and that feels wrong. Though, I suppose you do have to name kids and such because if you don't then you would just be calling them It or You or Thing... but I don't know it still feels weird.

I said this was something that people would have opinons about and i was right! I guess i have an open mind. I gave an alter a name 'vincent' because i didnt know there name but i wanted to refer to them in conversation. I did not want to turn them into a person or get chummy with them , in fact the opposite i am a little ashamed of that part of my persanality. However from the research i have been doing over the past couple of months i know that you have to accept all parts of your self and open up commincation in order to then move on and intergrate if thats what we want. Parts, Alters or ego states (have you looked up ego states? this could help you alot~) either way everyone to be whole person needs to accept who they are, dont they? Or they will be forever wounded. I called vincent, vincent knowing that was not his name and in the end he told me his name william, he didnt want to upset me by telling me his real name (long story). Point is 1. its easy for communication to others ok yeah call them 1, 2, Z, DELTA but by lableing them you 2, just give a start to accepting that something is there. Look up EGO STATES, type it into google- it will tell you all about it and it will tell you that we all have parts. :) go on go on gon onnnnnn (sorry farther ted reference)

Wow that was a rant.....bee in our bonnet..........BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz zzz.

We really reallly really hope that you are doing ok. What can it hurt to say in your head Ok so if your a part of me what part are you? Ego state it :) lol

kind regards and thoughts

Big River and Jake
River [main host]
Sam
Stuart
Jerry
William
Echo (little)
Wisper (little)
Elliott (little)
Ethan (Little)
Ethan's Sister (Little)