Our partner

A Question.

Dissociative Identity Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: Snaga, NewSunRising, lilyfairy

A Question.

Postby mr.jack » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:39 pm

Sometimes, when my mood because extreme, one of my alters will talk to me, in order to try to balance my emotions. Whenever this happens, I also see him, seperate from myself, and he seems to be able to manipulate objects. Does this happen to anyone else?
Sebastian - Host Calvin - M 24 Alabaster - M 30 Blake - M 7 Estelle - F 19 Jack - M 28
mr.jack
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:44 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: A Question.

Postby user110867 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:55 am

I see a mental image of my alters in a dark area and they talk to me when I am overwhelmed. What do you mean he/she manipulates objects? Like in the outside world?
user110867
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:44 am

Postby mr.jack » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:28 pm

Yeah, for example, once Estelle got so mad at me, that she threw a pencil. There's never been anything very large manipulated, altough, once, someone moved and sat in a chair.
Sebastian - Host Calvin - M 24 Alabaster - M 30 Blake - M 7 Estelle - F 19 Jack - M 28
mr.jack
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby tomboy24 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:11 pm

Do you mean that you're seeing the image/visual hallucination of your alter throw the pencil, not the alter using your body to throw the pencil?

Although, that could still very well be happening. If you are seeing the image of your alter manipulate objects, it would either be getting done by psychic energy or something like that (depending on your beliefs, of course), or it could be that during these moments, you are also going through an "out of body" experience, in where the image of the alter that you're seeing is actually the body with the alter's image "painted" over it, and the body is the one throwing the pencil while you are "out of body" and watching it happen. (Hopefully that made sense). Much like when people have an "out of body" experience (which can happen often with dissociation actually) and watch experiences happen to them/their body, or watch themselves do things, or something like that. The only difference for your situation, though, is that while you're "out of body", you're seeing an image of the alter who's in control of your body "over" what your body actually looks like, so that it truly does look like it's the alter who throws the pencil. This could also be explained by dissociation, in the sense of usually with "out of body" dissociative experiences, it's caused by the "this isn't happening to me" thought process, and if you truly don't believe it is you (like the image of your alter), then what's to stop the mind from projecting the image of an alter "over" the body or something like that?

The experiences we've had that are most similar to what you're describing are instances where we've taken over the body, and we'll do things that Cassandra thinks we're only doing "inside", then when she comes back "out", she realizes that they've been done for real. Sometimes she'll see these things happen "inside", or she'll hear them happening "inside" (or maybe she just thinks she sees/hears them "inside" only), and that's why she'll think they happened "inside" instead of "outside", but then she'll come out and realize that no, they happened "outside" as well.

Dunno if that helps at all, but it's another possibility to consider.

-KAT
| Cassandra; Kat/Kataki; Rain/Riyoku; Shay/Shadow; L.C. & Luna; Ray; Cassie; Lynn |
| Prism |
| Marie; Valera; Phenix (Rebel); Dallas & Damone; Kyra; "Blank"; Bridgette; Cassidy |
| "Hannibal"; "Big Ryan"/Ryan; Keith/"Little Ryan"; Kuro |
| Hawk ; The Doctor |
| Aurora (mermaid), werewolf, silent one, black ponytail, Kichijoten, The Master |
| Maiingan |
tomboy24
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:44 am
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby mr.jack » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:43 pm

I have found your response to be helpful indeed. If it is the results of a dissociation, that would make sense, however, I wish to test this hypothesis in more detailed manner.

In addition, there is a detail, that has slipped my mind, during the experience, I don't believe I have any sensations. That is to say, I don't remember having had felt, physically, anything. However, when I look back at the incident in my mind, I can feel a residual sensation, from the experience, even at far later dates. Could this also be due to the dissociation?

--- Alabaster
mr.jack
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby tomboy24 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:06 pm

Oh man, that is dissociation to a "T"! Sorry, but you just wrote what I basically experience all the time with Kat, and sometimes with others.

For example, wait, *Possible Trigger Warning*

Ok, for example, Kat was the one who would "deal" with my dad, especially when we'd get into arguments and fights and such. This is because I was usually too afraid to speak my mind, stand up for myself, show my anger, etc., but Kat wasn't. And these were the first times I became aware that I wasn't in control (aka a switch), but later I learned I was remaining semi-co-conscious. Here's what would happen:

Dad and I would start fighting, my anger level would reach a certain point, the "rage" point, I'd feel a wave of rage fill me as if a dam was breaking, sometimes I'd see dark red for a second, and then the next thing I know, I'm basically "watching" myself fight back, yelling and swearing right back at my dad, in a voice that's not mine, with a lack of fear I never have. Sometimes I'd actually feel as if I was watching myself, like an "out of body" experience, other times I'd still feel as if I was in my body, but I knew I had no control over what I did or said. And then afterwards, I'd look back on the memory, and find that I can't remember anything about what was said between my dad and I, or that I couldn't remember details at least, and I couldn't really remember anything clearly except for that rage, although it never felt like my rage, if that makes sense. If nothing else, I'd always remember getting to that rage point, and I'd usually remember everything up until that rage point, but after that rage point, my memory goes fuzzy and it's Kat who remembers everything clearly, because it's her that was out/in control.

*End Possible Trigger Warning*

So, short story long, yes, that is indeed due to dissociation. You don't remember having any sensations because most likely, the sensations felt "belonged" to another alter.

-Cassandra
| Cassandra; Kat/Kataki; Rain/Riyoku; Shay/Shadow; L.C. & Luna; Ray; Cassie; Lynn |
| Prism |
| Marie; Valera; Phenix (Rebel); Dallas & Damone; Kyra; "Blank"; Bridgette; Cassidy |
| Hawk ; The Doctor |
| Aurora (mermaid), werewolf, silent one, black ponytail, Kichijoten, The Master |
| Maiingan |
tomboy24
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby mr.jack » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:43 pm

Yes, I remeber once, * POTENTIAL TRIGGER*

once, i argued with my mother, then i dont remember talkin any more, then suddenly she hits me and tells me not to roll my eyes at her. however, it seemed to be that another had rolled my eyes for me, and not just inside.

*end trigger*

would this be the same thing?

Seb
mr.jack
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby Una+ » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:55 pm

In a person who has DID, eye rolling is a relatively common and involuntary sign that the person is switching. Rarely is the person aware of doing it.

One of my children used to roll eyes during conflicts with me and when I became aware of my DID and learned that eye rolling is a significant sign I was freaked out that my child might have DID too, but as far as I can tell my child does not have DID and used to do the eye rolling deliberately to annoy me. I do still wonder if my child was copying a classmate, and if the classmate was doing it just to annoy or...?
Dx DID older woman married w kids. 0 Una, host + 3, 1, 5. 1 animal. 2 older man. 3 teen girl. 4 girl behind amnesia wall. 5 girl in love. Our thread.
Una+
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:44 am

Postby yakusoku » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:15 pm

I have internal images of alters at times. Sometimes they are so they can communicate how they are feeling or what they are like. Sometimes, I get metaphorical messages sent through image, because certain parts (e.g. Observer) can't verbally communicate with me without overwhelming me making me feel ill for some reason.

I have had alters take over physical actions while I am still in front. I once had LY reaching out for my backpack repeatedly to try to take a comforting stuffed animal out. This was pretty early, maybe three months after diagnosis.

We also have one who shakes our head no while we're with T, to keep myself and others from saying stuff he's afraid no one will believe or doesn't want shared for some other reason.

I don't know if we do the eye roll stuff, but we sometimes have tremors related to switching. Usually only in therapy, but I've gotten them a few times when severely triggered at church. It's humiliating. Sometimes it is just PTSD startle reactions, but sometimes it's me "coming back" and being disoriented.
yakusoku
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:44 pm

Postby tomboy24 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:16 pm

mr.jack wrote:Yes, I remeber once, * POTENTIAL TRIGGER*

once, i argued with my mother, then i dont remember talkin any more, then suddenly she hits me and tells me not to roll my eyes at her. however, it seemed to be that another had rolled my eyes for me, and not just inside.

*end trigger*

would this be the same thing?

Seb

Yes, that'd be the same thing, and sounds like what I've also experienced. I've often wondered at times why my dad is so mad, and usually during those times it's because Kat came out enough to fire some sort of retort back at him that I didn't remember making/doing.

Una+ wrote:In a person who has DID, eye rolling is a relatively common and involuntary sign that the person is switching. Rarely is the person aware of doing it.

One of my children used to roll eyes during conflicts with me and when I became aware of my DID and learned that eye rolling is a significant sign I was freaked out that my child might have DID too, but as far as I can tell my child does not have DID and used to do the eye rolling deliberately to annoy me. I do still wonder if my child was copying a classmate, and if the classmate was doing it just to annoy or...?

I used to roll my eyes all the time, and for me, at least for the most part, it's not a sign of switching (everyone's different). Well, actually, this is inaccurate (I in the sense of me, Cassandra, rarely had the guts to roll my eyes, at least at my dad). I should say that Phenix would roll her eyes all the time (when she was already out, not as a sign of a switch), and she would do it to show exasperation, or that she didn't care, or she'd do it to show that she wasn't afraid of the person, or a kind of "You are so wrong" reaction, stuff like that. Eye-rolling is often just that- an expression of something, usually along the lines of "My ears are turned off, I don't care about you or what you're saying right now".

-Cassandra
| Prism |
| Hawk ; The Doctor |
| Maiingan |
tomboy24
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Return to Dissociative Identity Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post