Our partner

Emotional numbness

Dissociative Identity Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: Snaga, NewSunRising, lilyfairy

Emotional numbness

Postby Frank_Darko » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:25 pm

*I dont know if anything will be triggering so be warned in case something is*
The first time I saw a psychologist I was 14. I'd been suffering at the hands of Darren for about 2 years and had kept it quiet but then it got too much and my mum took me to see a psychologist.

I hated it here. She ignored everything I said. I told her about Darren but she didn't seem interested. I knew she wasn't taking me seriously because I was 14 and I hated that. I've never really felt like a child/teen for a long time and I thought when I became an adult things would change but people still talk down to me.
Anyway I was initially diagnosed with depression. She ignored the psychotic like stuff for some reason. She kept asking me about my parents divorce and how it made me feel. I told her "I don't care about the divorce. It doesn't bother me." She refused to believe this and felt I was depressed over this but nothing could be further from the truth.
I love my mum and my dad. They aren't perfect but they've always done their best for me and my sister. They had never really gotten on for as long as I can remember so when they announced they were getting a divorce all I could think was "Well they are miserable together and if being apart will make them happier than the divorce is a good thing."
I was never once upset about their divorce. I was happy because I knew it would be the end of their misery. However the psychologist didn't think it was possible for a child to have such a logical and emotionless approach and thought I was just putting up a front.

This has always annoyed me. I struggle to feel emotions regarding certain situations. I just can't feel bad or good about it. Instead I have a rational and logical approach. This isn't true of everything however. Some instances I can get very emotional but all in all I seem to not get emotional and people find this inappropriate of me. People used to give me so much sympathy over the divorce and I was perfectly fine. It became annoying after a while. I also can't feel sad for anybody elses divorce and I even struggle getting emotional over death.
Anyone else feel they are emotionally numb to certain situations without any real reason to be?
Frank_Darko
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:26 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Emotional numbness

Postby tragic guardian » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:33 pm

I'd say i'm the same way. It's annoying too because people just think it's because you're cold and such. But some people just aren't as emotional, and/or have certain reasoning.
☥fiat justitia ruat coelum☥

Rex - 22 - Male - Host
Duke - 31? - Male - Alter
non-diagnosed
tragic guardian
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:26 pm
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby oaktree » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:30 pm

I am also more 'emotional numb' than other people. I sometimes questioned it, but never really worried about it. It may have to do with the dysthimia, I never feel really good or really bad, but always a little low. Doesn't really bother me either.

Once, when I heard of the dead of someone I knew (was around her often, but never really came into contact with her), I froze. I was already frozen due to other reasons (preventing a panic attack) and it became slightly worse when I heard that. I knew there was some pain inside me, but it didn't really affect me. Later, the ice melt, so to say, freeing the emotion partially, but I never got really emotional.

Sometimes, I feel a bit emotion, but I magnify it, essentially pretending, so it seems normal.

This is how I sometimes feel (**trigger warning for video (not music): abuse in several ways**)
Within Temptation - Frozen - video wrote:I can't feel my senses
I just feel the cold
All colors seem to fade away
I can't reach my soul

I would stop running
If I knew there was a chance
It tears me apart to sacrifice it all
But I'm forced to let go

Tell me I'm frozen but what can I do?
Can't tell the reasons, I did it for you
When lies turn into truth, I sacrificed for you
You say that I am frozen but what can I do?
Dx: PDD-NOS. Tested for dissociative disorders and PTSD but they say the symptoms are attributable to PDD-NOS.
oaktree
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:26 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby dianezz » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:59 am

Frank_Darko wrote:I also can't feel sad for anybody elses divorce and I even struggle getting emotional over death.Anyone else feel they are emotionally numb to certain situations without any real reason to be?

Yes ,yes,yes. I am usually flat... no emotions and often monotone languge regarding devestating things . MOm died a few eyars ago. NO emotion with the excetpion of maybe three times after a trigger. NO emotion about m y past abuse or current good fun or bad stuff. I do have unexpected bouts of crying and hurt and pain, but most of that is held by other parts. I think the numbing is in someway on purpose. I have had a few losses and deaths that caused a ot of emotion and then months of amnesia( numbing and unafFected.)
DID PTSD Eat Anx & Panic disorders Depression Mild Aspergers
The Hall
Left Side *Diane18 *Kelly Diane18 *DI 17* *DeeDee13 *Lillian9 *Stupid5 *Bad5 *Little Kelly#2 5 *Dirty? *Kay2 *Afraid5
Right Side *Kelly D18 *Lilly9 *Little Kelly#1 5 *Kellianne2 *KD16 *Dee13 *Giver? *Kel 44 *KellyM ?
Host *Kelly49
dianezz
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:26 pm

Postby Owleyes » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:05 pm

Same. I rarely feel much emotion, even about deaths of people I know. I'm sure people see me as cold, but I just don't do emotion. Other parts do, but I try to keep a lid on it as much as possible.
Owleyes
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:26 am

Postby OMNICELL » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:24 pm

It all depends, all of my feeling was gone. I was pasted in with a Novocain like effect. I was a created sociopath.. I had no feelings.

As these symptoms of Dissociative disorder began to loose grip, my nervous system began to feel things, and slowly feel again...

Its very normal to feel numb about a whole lot of things...
Dissociative Disorder
CPTSD
AVPD; Social avoidance
Previous/Psychotic clinical Depression
agoraphobia
obsessive/compulsive disorder
Evolution didn't stop my death, God did .....Now what?
OMNICELL
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:26 pm
Blog: View Blog (1763)

Postby tomboy24 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:02 pm

Apathy was pretty much our first language. So yes, we understand emotional numbness. We rarely cry, if we do so, we do so alone. We might get irritated sometimes, but mostly we don't give a sh*t. We can enjoy something, but it won't seem like it. We don't get excited for anything; if it happens, cool. If not, whatever. And if anyone causes an emotional reaction in us, they'll never know it 'cause we'll never show it.

~L.C.
~Luna
| Cassandra; Kat/Kataki; Rain/Riyoku; Shay/Shadow; L.C. & Luna; Ray; Cassie; Lynn |
| Prism |
| Marie; Valera; Phenix (Rebel); Dallas & Damone; Kyra; "Blank"; Bridgette; Cassidy |
| "Hannibal"; "Big Ryan"/Ryan; Keith/"Little Ryan"; Kuro |
| Hawk ; The Doctor |
| Aurora (mermaid), werewolf, silent one, black ponytail, Kichijoten, The Master |
| Maiingan |
tomboy24
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:26 pm
Blog: View Blog (3)

Return to Dissociative Identity Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post