Our partner

How to lose weight with depression?

Depression message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Oliveira

How to lose weight with depression?

Postby newuser » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:18 pm

I am getting married in the end of this year, and need to lose about 20 pounds. The medication, depression (eating and sleeping alot) has caused me to gain weight. I need to get back to my normal weight. But I don't see how I can do this with the depression I have and medicine I take. I have no energy to even stay awake when I get home from work, so I don't see how I can get energy to work-out. And whenever I get sad I tend to eat more. And typically I get more unhappy when I don't have a full stomach. I have no interest in running, and if I do start, I stop within 5 minutes. So I'm really not seeing how I can lose weight while taking depression medication.
newuser
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:31 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: How to lose weight with depression?

Postby pheonixrise » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:11 am

you could talk to your doctor about switching meds - not all meds have the same side effects, and your doctor will be able to tell you what will work for you without causing excessive tiredness and weight gain.

with food, try eating things that are filling, and low-gi. make sure you're getting enough water every day - that'll help your body in many different ways, including giving you a little more energy.

for now, maybe try work outs that aren't particularly taxing on your body. for example, you could do light hand weights one day, and something like yoga or pilates the next (those will all tone your body as well as help a little with weight loss).
pheonixrise
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:01 pm

Postby newuser » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:00 pm

Thanks for the advice. Is anyone on an anti-depressant that doesn't cause tiredness and sleepiness?
newuser
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby pheonixrise » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:22 pm

I'm on Zoloft (setraline), and the only side effect I've noticed is a complete lack of sexual drive. I sleep well throughout the night and have energy to get through the day. Zoloft is also an AD that generally doesn't cause weight gain.

Check with your doctor if it's okay for you, or what recommendation s/he has for you.
pheonixrise
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:01 pm

Postby robfatburner » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:12 am

May I ask what your diet is like? Are you consuming more carbohydrate foods than protein foods? I cannot give advice about depression but what I can tell you and might be helpful is that changing the way we eat can play a big role in helping us lose weight. I do not mean go on a diet where you are at the point of starvation. We consume a lot of carbohydrate foods which contain a lot of sugar. Our body becomes resistant to the sugars and starts storing any sugar as fat. If you can change your diet in the sense that you lower your carb intake and increase your proteins, you will start burning off fat naturally.

By eating more protein foods, your body will produce more Glucagon and Glucagon is hormone responsible for triggering your body's metabolism. You will also get more energy eating this way will feel less hungry. I hope this information is helpful

All the best. :)

Rob
robfatburner
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:31 am

Postby Dancing is forbidden » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:48 pm

robfatburner wrote:May I ask what your diet is like? Are you consuming more carbohydrate foods than protein foods? I cannot give advice about depression but what I can tell you and might be helpful is that changing the way we eat can play a big role in helping us lose weight. I do not mean go on a diet where you are at the point of starvation. We consume a lot of carbohydrate foods which contain a lot of sugar. Our body becomes resistant to the sugars and starts storing any sugar as fat. If you can change your diet in the sense that you lower your carb intake and increase your proteins, you will start burning off fat naturally.

By eating more protein foods, your body will produce more Glucagon and Glucagon is hormone responsible for triggering your body's metabolism. You will also get more energy eating this way will feel less hungry. I hope this information is helpful

All the best. :)

Rob

Your information is quite good but the science is completely wrong and junk Im sorry. Glycogen is not a hormone. The body doesnt become resistant to sugar and shuttle it all as fat. Thats crap.

Best bets to lose weight are to try to do as much daily exercise as possible. A 30 minute walk per day is great. Use stairs instead of elevators. Park further from work so you have to walk a little further.

Big tip is to eat lots of small meals rather than 1 or 2 big meals. This is critical. Small meals mean your body is constantly breaking down food throughout the day and it will rev up your metabolism.

Drink lots of water, it wilk help you feel full. I drink near a gallon a day. Keep a bottle at your work station.

Drink coffee or green tea. Good source of antioxidents and the caffeine promotes thermogenesis.

The foods you should eat.....i recommend clients eat a *caveman* diet. If it comes from the earth or from an animal its good. Steer clear of fatty meats though. Avoid refined sugars and processed foods

Dont skip breakfast. It will give you energy for the day and kickstart yoyr metabolism. Its the most important meal of the day and should be the biggest. After that try to eat every 3 hours. Salads, leans meats, low gi foods. Stay away from starchy carbs.....potato, bread etc

As for meds, everyone is different. I lost a heap of weight I didnt want to lose on effexor......i know a lot of people who gained weight on it. I craved sugar like crazy on amytriptyline. Ask your doc.

Oh and avoid alcohol.

Best of luck!

-- Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:49 am --

Oh and stay away from juice and soft drink because of the massive amount of sugar. Same with flavoured milk
Self awareness doesn't reveal my indiscretions, exhaustion does.
Dancing is forbidden
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:31 pm
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby ClareBoucher » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:10 am

Along with each and every kilometer, running will demonstrate the influence on you, little by little. Calories used while doing cardiovascular exercise session could keep on raising,best method to lose weight fast in two weeks, according to a wide variety of aspects such as mileage you go as well as the velocity in which you run. Running needs some vigor, and then to lose weight quickly it is recommended to build up strength slowly but surely, and not only just by jogging a range of a few miles the first day. You must continuously pick-up speed to be able to get results and feast over the benefits associated with running. Here are several easy steps concerning how to lose fat by running:

• Run 3 times each week

• Little by little add to the mileage a week.

• Take note of your current weight before running

• Be disciplined

• Drink up around 7 glasses of drinking water day after day

• Eat the right way
ClareBoucher
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby newuser » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:49 pm

I think I managed to lose the weight for my wedding. Then I managed to gain it right back. Now I am trying to get pregnant and they say you shouldn't do vigorous exercise.
newuser
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Return to Clinical Depression Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post