Our partner

Why am I always miserable...

Depression message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Oliveira

Why am I always miserable...

Postby thejuice11 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:43 pm

Heres a quick intro, I am a 20 year old college student, live in a nice house in a nice area, have been the captain of sports teams, and have had many friends as well as girlfriends. Not to toot my own horn, but I have a big personality, a great sense of humor, and consider myself one of the smartest people I know, even though I generally take shortcuts in school and underachieve grade wise. That said, I am sure that no one would suspect how miserable I really am most of the time, especially because I have no reason to be.
There have been times in my past that I have felt really down, not necessarily suicidal, but just didn't want to do anything at all. Now that it is summer and I am home from school away from friends, its getting worse and more frequent. The other day I came home from my lawn mowing job and was so angry that I snapped at anyone who talked to me, and went right to my room. My parents asked me today whats always wrong, and I really don't have an answer, I just can't be happy like normal people it seems. I desperately want to be, but I don't think my personality can allow it. I'm looking for suggestions from you guys, because I don't know how to change myself.

p.s. I have been smoking more pot, which seems to always make me feel better, even though people will knock that I'm sure.
thejuice11
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:13 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Why am I always miserable...

Postby Aklira » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:02 pm

It's probably the pot. If ya wanna feel better, Stop taking it. It'll hurt like hell, and suck like dipshit, but if you really wanna get rid of that feeling, it's what you gotta do. Otherwise, it'll probably get worse. But the more pot, the more the bad feeling. =/ I really suggest the no pot scheme, even if when you read this you laugh your ass off and say hell no. Or you could read it and be completely concerned, and start asking loads of questions. Many ways to react, just gonna name those two. But its the pot, most likely. Just sayin. =/
You just asked to dance with the devil. And you think that you can stop whenever you want. But you don't stop till the devil stops. And he never stops. You're gonna dance to the Devil's Swing forever...O_o
Aklira
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby John321 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:23 am

Thejuice11

You say you have a big personality, however, I suspect that you are quite a sensitive person as well and know deep down that your notion of personality is fairly shallow thinking.

As you come in contact with more people, you will realise that, your big personality in the narrow terms that you have defined it is not what really matters to them. It is the way you treat them. Are you considerate to them? Do you treat them with intrigity and empathy and with due consideration for them?
John321
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby Black Dove » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:17 am

thejuice11 wrote:I just can't be happy like normal people it seems. I desperately want to be, but I don't think my personality can allow it.

What exactly does that mean; "My personality won't allow it"? Are you stubborn? Are you withholding emotions?

live in a nice house in a nice area, have been the captain of sports teams, and have had many friends as well as girlfriends

So what? Those aren't the facilitators of happiness, plus you're speaking in past tense twice. So what are you doing now other than mowing lawns and taking your frustrations out on others?
I was hung from a tree made of tongues of the weak
the branches were bones of the liars, the thieves
Rise up above it, high up above it and see
Black Dove
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:13 am

Postby pheonixrise » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:28 am

outside things don't decide how happy you are. if that was the case, i would be one of the happiest people on the planet.

i second that you should quit smoking. it'll make you feel better short term, but will only send you crashing later. i'm watching it happen to one of my brothers - he stopped smoking pot for quite a while, and was at a friends house the other day and the both of them smoked for a bit. he came home completely different.

with depression, it's not your personality getting in the way, but chemicals in your brain and thought processes. there is heaps online about changing the way you think, and plenty of ways to get your brain working normally.
pheonixrise
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:43 pm

Postby SmileXx » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:37 pm

I get that way...
I too tried to drown it out with pot... booze... sex with strangers (that was a particularly low point in my life)...

I stopped doing all of those things.
I got a hobby instead. It helped. So I got more.
Keep your brain busy.

FORCE YOURSELF TO DO SOMETHING

Also the pot made me horrifically suicidal. That might not apply to you, but I'm just saying. It's not doing what you think it's doing. I thought it was a cure and when I stopped smoking the depression lifted enough for me to make myself stop being a sad sap. Pot was like a tarp that I draped over my life. It was heavy, but I hide under it and it was mine. I'd bet you a house full of cookies you're doing the same thing and refuse to realize it.

If you don't give up pot, take up running. The endorphins alone should help lift your mood. You don't have to WANT to do it, just do it. What else have you really got to do with your time? It'll make you feel better after like a week.
crimsonandclover wrote:Sometimes the greatest source is from within. And accepting whats in there.

veloruia wrote:We all have a bit of Smile in us.

onebravegirl wrote:Shine on and Smile on my beautiful 2D pal.

Da Rulz
SmileXx
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:13 am
Blog: View Blog (4)

Return to Clinical Depression Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post