Our partner

Why are so many people ignored in this forum?

Depression message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Snaga

Why are so many people ignored in this forum?

Postby Vinylvanilla » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:07 pm

I'm so tired of this forum, seriously.
I've been struggling to overcome my problems and sometimes I post here trying to get some help, nobody replies... But what's worse is that many other threads by other people are being ignored as well. I thought this forum was created to help people, not to ignore them.

You see threads with 50, 100 views and nobody said a word. Why is that? Why did you click and read, only to ignore the person? Do you really think you're helping them when you're ignoring them? Would you like to be ignored? This is a CLINICAL DEPRESSION FORUM. People are DEPRESSED. How do you think depressed people feel when they realize they're being ignored by everyone, even by people online?

How can you be part of a MENTAL HEALTH forum and ignore a post you've just read? If you have time to read, you have time to reply.

I'm really disappointed with this forum. I've heard some people here are too narcissistic but this is worse than I imagined.
"Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend." - Albert Camus
Vinylvanilla
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:28 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Why are so many people ignored in this forum?

Postby Randi » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:22 pm

I agree. I admit that I don't reply to every post I read (a lot just don't apply to me and I think that the person won't appreciate what I might say), but I do try to reply to every post that I think I might be helpful on. I made a post to introduce myself back in November; 244 people looked at it and only one person (a moderator) bothered to say anything. More recently I posted about my overwhelming anger and depression. In that one 91 people looked but only Vinylvanilla responded. I respond to other posts and I feel like no one responds to me. I hate being ignored. Do I need to say something stupid to get attention?
Depression
Sexual Addiction
Generally just messed up!
Randi
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:28 pm

Postby Oliveira » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:41 pm

Hello,

let me explain one thing. The views are counted no matter who opens the thread. This means 1) lurkers, 2) guests who haven't registered, 3) moderators (who have to read everything) and 4) search engine bots are also counted.

There are also people who click, read, but have nothing to say -- a lot of threads are simply really difficult to contribute to, whether because there are no direct questions in there, or because the questions are specific ("how do I handle the combination of X and Y meds...") and they have no experience with those meds.

You are not being ignored.
Currently working on my upcoming signature.
Oliveira
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby natch » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:54 am

Almost midnight my time. I hear you. Feeling a swim in too big an ocean. Hugs and encouragement to you. You're not alone.
natch
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:28 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby BiB » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:29 pm

In this forum it must be quite normal.
Real depression is when also saying a word costs you a big big effort.
-------

Sorry for my English, Im not a native.
BiB
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:28 am

Postby celticcracker » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:05 am

"Why are so many people ignored in this forum?"

Because they're depressed and no one wants to listen to depressed people hating themselves. lol

-- Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:06 am --

"Why are so many people ignored in this forum?"

Because they're depressed and no one wants to listen to depressed people hating themselves. lol
Forging an iron signature...
celticcracker
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Blog: View Blog (5)

Postby Good Eye Closed » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:02 am

Most likely because the only thing there is to say to most people is words of encouragement, which I've heard throughout my life and they haven't ever really helped my depression, so why bother saying them to other people.
Good Eye Closed
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:28 pm

Postby barrano247 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:05 pm

because life sucks and we should all ######6 $#%^ damn :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
barrano247
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby Heart Pajamas » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:03 pm

Hi,

You're right...even though I'm often guilty of reading without replying myself. Sometimes I just don't know what to say (or how to say it). Times that I have tried to be supportive have only met with argumentativeness ("no...that won't work") or a lack of reply from the original poster (which further exacerbates my depression).

I think it's a cycle, though. We shouldn't expect to get replies if we don't give them ourselves.

Even if we're feeling bad, the least we can do is try our best to contribute *something* to a thread we have chosen to click on and read. Whether it be support, sharing a similar story, or giving tips that may have worked for us or someone we know.

Good post.
Heart Pajamas
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:28 pm

Postby EarlyMorning » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:07 pm

I think that myself also sometimes and I've been posting here on and off for a couple of years. I think the forums have different amounts of people looking at them so some are busier than others and some have more feedback than others.

I have agoraphobia yet nobody replies there and the threads are all quite old. I wonder where those people are (they're not out are they!).

In the Asperger's forum you get some replies, more in the Autism than in the Asperger's though.

Perhaps people read a thread title, think they may be interested/able to help and then realise that they have nothing of use to say. Perhaps the way the post is written puts people off (for example when they are too long, not paragraphed etc - some people do not have the patience to read all the way through).

There is also a "just for fun" forum on this site. If you feel in the mood for it, it's worth posting there. One because it's a great distraction from problems and two, because people get to know another side to you. They might then find things in common with you and then be able to talk to you on other more serious threads.

Just a thought :)
Life is full of small disappointments - Henrik Hanssen
EarlyMorning
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:28 am

Next

Return to Clinical Depression Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views