Our partner

Staying up late

Depression message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Snaga

Staying up late

Postby Cheko » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:00 am

Does anybody else ever try to stay up late to avoid depression? I hate when I try to sleep and I can't stop thinking about everything. I start to tear up like a big baby. Sometimes I'll stay up till' 3. Now my sleeping schedule is messed up and it makes me feel tired. I think I'm just making it worse by staying up late... :?
Cheko
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:04 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Staying up late

Postby Remember Ronni » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:29 pm

I do often stay up far too late. But i think that's just because a new day brings the depression and so I like to put it off as long as possible. I do love sleep though because I don't have to think or feel; I can shut out the depression at least for a while
Diagnosed with Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder (BPD)
Remember Ronni
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:04 am

Postby Noosh » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:48 am

Depression has totally messed up my sleeping patterns... I love to sleep because it makes everything stop for a while but I often have difficulty getting to sleep because of all the thoughts going round in my head. And then once I'm asleep it's very difficult to wake up and I'll often sleep in past lunchtime. I know that when I'm tired my depression gets much worse though :/ I'm litel exhausted all of the time and have no energy or motivation for anything. Usually I stay up late watching tv or something just so I know that when i go to bed I'll be so exhausted that I fall asleep straight away. I have no idea how to regulate my sleeping patterns though it's so messed up :/
Noosh
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:04 am

Postby CJC1992 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:26 pm

Cheko wrote:Does anybody else ever try to stay up late to avoid depression? I hate when I try to sleep and I can't stop thinking about everything. I start to tear up like a big baby. Sometimes I'll stay up till' 3. Now my sleeping schedule is messed up and it makes me feel tired. I think I'm just making it worse by staying up late... :?

I guess I'm the opposite to you, Cheko. Staying up into the small hours tends to make my depression worse. The quiet that surrounds me speaks volumes in terms of the thoughts that swoosh around my mind. For me, sleep is a release from reality. In my dreams, anything is possible and depression doesn't exist. Sleep deprivation can certainly affect a person's mood, although you didn't specify exactly how long you sleep for.
CJC1992
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:04 am

Return to Clinical Depression Forum