Our partner

Short term memory loss or dp?

Depersonalization Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Short term memory loss or dp?

Postby rosy19 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:43 pm

I'm very new to this forum, so I hope I'll get a reply.

Sometimes whenever I'm talking or doing something I have this split second where I forget myself and who I am. I'm not quite sure if it's depersonalization or short term memory loss.
It happens at the most random times, I could just be replying to a friend and everything doesn't feel real and I don't remember who I am.
It's scarier when I see myself either a picture or through a reflection and I don't recognise myself.
But it all happens very quickly. The longest it has lasted is at least 5 minutes. It's very short but it happens often, especially when I'm under a lot of stress. I feel like I could be slowly losing myself, sometimes I feel like I'm losing my mind.
Usually it would happen once every few months but I've been getting this quite often.
I just need to know if someone else feels this way because it's so hard explaining it to other people :(
rosy19
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:04 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Short term memory loss or dp?

Postby theredthread » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:59 am

Hi Rosy,

I'm sorry you haven't had a reply yet -- I don't know why this is!

It does sound like DP to me, in my very non-professional opinion. It could well be directly connected to the stress you're currently experiencing. Are you in treatment for anxiety or depression, or anything like that? These conditions can often include some dissociation symptoms.

Do you feel like it's impacting your day-to-day life at the moment, or more that's it's disconcerting and freaking you out because it's clearly unusual, and you worry about the implications of that?

It does sound like you need to find ways to manage it somehow, and it's probably better to try and get help for it sooner rather than later. There are dissociation therapists about thay may be able to help you.

I hope, if possible, the stressful situation improves ASAP.

Best Wishes
theredthread
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:04 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Depersonalization Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post