Our partner

Weighted blanket?

Depersonalization Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Weighted blanket?

Postby immyself123 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:57 pm

I dont know if this is international or not, but in my country you may get a "weighted blanket" (a blanket with heavy balls or chains). Prescibred from the doctor.

I was wondering if anyone have tried this for their derealization?
Did it help you feel more alive, help you feel where you are? Help you define your body?
:)
immyself123
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:37 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Weighted blanket?

Postby ShawTrav » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:56 am

I have never heard of this. However, I could see how this might help. From the USA/North America.
JT- The Original. N/A yrs. old
Cid- Protector and main front 28 yrs. old
Lex- Gate Keeper, internal self helper 32 yrs. old
Sophie- Creative little, slider age 6ish-17ish
Tyler- What do I do? Get into trouble. He's 17
Five others that don't talk on here. Perhaps one day.
ShawTrav
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:37 pm

Postby Johnny-Jack » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:50 am

I've read these are prescribed for sensory processing disorder and autism, among other things.

It sounds like it's worth a shot. Sort of like reality giving you more intense feedback than usual. Temple Grandin, successful American autistic, in an autobiographical book and film explains how her "hug box" putting mild pressure on the body of an animal -- and this includes humans -- tends to calm them down. It seems like a weighted blanket might help you remain calm and present, and give some people a more restful sleep.

I somehow related to the demonstration in the film and have always been curious to try it.

Let us know if you find it to be therapeutic. Geesh, now I want to get one, even though parts of me are triggered by any sense of being tied down, if less so than in the past. Weight and pressure are different from being immobilized though.

Come to think of it, I have memory-foam pillows which are ridiculously heavy. When neighbors make too much noise while I'm falling asleep, I'll put one over my head and the experience is curiously comforting, not for blocking out the sound but just due to the sheer weight.

Nic, who also has DID, uses several layers of blankets to fall asleep, even when they create way too much heat and in his sleep he kicks most of them off. I've tucked in a couple dozen of his littles and they get happier with each added blanket. The process is almost a ritual for them. Hrrm, I'm thinking now it's for the comforting weight, not because they're cold.
Dx = DID. My blog. My personal Periodic Table of 78 alters.
Ab Ad Al Am An Ar As Ba Be Br Ca Cb Ch Cl Cm Cn Co Cp Ct Cu Cv D Eb Ed Er Es F Fl Ga Gd Go Gr Gw He Hk Hs Ht I J Jh Jk Jn Jy Ke Ki Kn Ky Li Lu Md Mi Mt Mx Mz Ne Ni O Pe Pi Q Ra Rd Ry Sc Se Sh Sk Sx Tk Ty U V Wa Wi X Y Ze Zn

Forum rules
Johnny-Jack
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:37 pm
Blog: View Blog (45)

Postby Seangel » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:29 am

I talked to another member in the DID forum who used the weighted blanket, prescribed by a doctor, to feel safer. Their inner kids felt safer.

I don't have DID, however I do sleep with many layers (4) of blankets, because the city is sort of cold. When they are too many, or too heavy, I don't like them. Sometimes I've felt too hot, or in other places where they have too many, I've felt restrained. However, it feels safe in there, when they are just the "right" amount.

I have watched and read Temple Grandin's biography too, and I found her "hug machine" amazing. I have a memory of the "sensation". Like I have put myself in something like that and it feels safe, controlled. It releases tensions.

Sea
Taking myself some time away from PF. Sea (Dec, 2016)
Seangel
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby ShawTrav » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:13 pm

Seangel wrote: "hug machine"

Hug Machine??? What kind of witchcraft is that? I imagine two metallic arms with lil gloves on them and they squeez you nice and tight and pat your back. With a robotic voice saying "There there pal, Hug-o-tron loves you very much."

Won't let me change color to green. Whatever. -Tyler.

I read up on it and I can see how it works for sensory stimulation issues. Very interesting. Thank Sea. -Cid & Lex
ShawTrav
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Seangel » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:25 pm

ShawTrav wrote:
Seangel wrote: "hug machine"

Hug Machine??? What kind of witchcraft is that? I imagine two metallic arms with lil gloves on them and they squeez you nice and tight and pat your back. With a robotic voice saying "There there pal, Hug-o-tron loves you very much."

Won't let me change color to green. Whatever. -Tyler.

Hahahahahah Hi Tyler, that's actually a very funny hug machine. :mrgreen:

It's more of a squeezing machine now that I think about it:

http://www.therafin.com/images/2011sm.jpg

ShawTrav wrote:I read up on it and I can see how it works for sensory stimulation issues. Very interesting. Thank Sea. -Cid & Lex

Hi Cid & Lex, It's quite interesting. Mhm. I really liked the movie about her life. If you guys are interested, this is the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpkN0JdXRpM

;) Sea (Say hi to Sophie)
Seangel
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby ShawTrav » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:51 am

That device is actually kind of scary looking, don't think I would want to lay in that thing. Tyler is glad you liked his description, he was afraid it would anger you because he didn't want you to think he was making fun of your suggestion. It's just what he thought and wanted to say in response. Sophie says hi back and that she plans on writing new stuff, she has actually been a great help with school work as of late. Also I will probally watch that movie tonight, I have never heard of it and it looks really good. -JT

P.S.
And now Tyler wants to create a hug-o-tron and make millions. Lol thanks for that Sea.
ShawTrav
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Seangel » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:04 pm

ShawTrav wrote:That device is actually kind of scary looking, don't think I would want to lay in that thing.

hahahahahaha it is. :lol: :lol: It looks so massive and huge.

ShawTrav wrote:Tyler is glad you liked his description, he was afraid it would anger you because he didn't want you to think he was making fun of your suggestion. It's just what he thought and wanted to say in response.

hahahahaha I didn't suggested the "hug machine" hahaha Johnny-Jack did. But's it cool, I like that it too. Ty's suggestion was actually very funny. No, didn't anger me at all. :lol: :lol: :lol:

ShawTrav wrote:Sophie says hi back and that she plans on writing new stuff, she has actually been a great help with school work as of late. Also I will probally watch that movie tonight, I have never heard of it and it looks really good. -JT

Oh, that's pretty cool of Sophie. :D

JT, let me know how do you like it. :)

ShawTrav wrote:P.S.
And now Tyler wants to create a hug-o-tron and make millions. Lol thanks for that Sea.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha this whole mail made me laugh so much. "THE HUG-O-TRON, brought to you by Tyler" hahahahahahaha With the metallic arms. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Seangel
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Return to Depersonalization Disorder Forum