Our partner

delusional disorders - smells

Delusional Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Sunnyg

delusional disorders - smells

Postby Melville » Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:48 pm

I am wondering if there is anyone out there on the 'delusional disorder' discussion list who has a significant other whose delusions are primarily related to smells - not smells from the body but smells of chemicals, acid, etc. that this person believes is somehow being deliberately sent into the house through some unknown means/persons. Also there is some obsession with areas of heat vs. cold that come and go.
Melville

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby bsc » Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:29 am

Absolutely! My wife was always saying that "they" are piping gas into the house. She could smell all kinds of odors that weren't there. Even perfume, she normally liked, she claimed was tainted, as well as after shave lotion I might wear.

Some others on this forum have said similar things. Hallucinating smells.

I wouldn't say that these were primary fixations. Just another one of the many paranoid delusions.

I don't know about the heat/cold thing you mention.
bsc
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:21 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:54 am

Dear Bsc,
So if I understand your response correctly, your wife's delusions of smells is only part of a larger group of delusions? Visual hallucinations? Noises? My wife's delusions have been primarily smells - something that seems to be pretty rare in the delusional realm. It certainly has received little research although it is certainly very real. She usually identifies these smells as coming from the neighbors (we've moved several times but it always comes back to the people we happen to move next to). Usually thinks its either coming from someone making the drug 'ice' or some other 'loser' sending the smells into the house. I was able to get her on Abilify for awhile but it gave her insomnia and now she refuses to see any shrink. She is an 'immigrant' - a characteristic that seems common in any profile I've ever read about this condition. I'd appreciate any more you could tell me about your situation and from any others on this list who are dealing with a similar situation. Melville.

Postby faithful » Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:38 pm

Note that the diagnostic criteria for DD specifically states:
"Olfactory or tactile hallucinations may be prominent, but only if they are related to the content of the delusion. "
My husband had tactile hallucinations specifically related to his jealousy sub-type DD (that my vagina was stretched out by my gigantically endowed lovers - a specific hallucination others on this forum have also heard from their DD spouses). That these hallucinations are nearly identical from person to person really makes me think this disease is organic, not related to childhood traumas, and is not something that can be effectively treated by talk therapy, just like you can't talk your way out of cancer. But even the drugs available today only dull the symptoms, they don't eliminate them, or give the person any understanding that they are sick.
After reading all these posts, I am coming to believe that the jealousy sub-type isn't the worst one - that all my husband's delusions centered on me being the bad person, allows him to be quite happy as long as I am not in his life. And after all of this, I still want him to be happy.
faithful
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:21 pm

Postby Goodwife » Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:49 pm

Faithful:

I was told by my hubby's doctor that of the DD subtypes, accute jealosy is most likely to be "contained." The worst one is chronic persecution type.

Just for information...
Goodwife

Postby faithful » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:24 am

I wonder whether it will always be "contained" to me, or if he will eventually start the same routine with his new wife. Guess it's not my concern, but I am curious.
faithful
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:21 pm

Re: delusional disorders - smells

Postby allalone » Sat May 15, 2010 5:41 pm

wow! smells?? i don't now how i should feel so are the smells revolting or settle because i don't really now how acid smells like :?:
allalone
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:51 pm

Return to Delusional Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post