Our partner

Picking scabs *Trigger*

Open discussions about Cutting and Self Injury. This forum may be triggering.

Moderators: lilyfairy, Snaga

Picking scabs *Trigger*

Postby RainingFire » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:30 am

My legs look horrible.. It's really embarrassing. Basically, I got mosquito bites and then scratched them all really hard so they bled. For the past few months, they keep trying to heal and form scabs, but I keep interfering with them and picking at the scabs until they bleed. I spent most of my summer wearing pants because it just started to look gross and ridiculous.

Anyone have an issue with picking at scabs? Specifically, scabs you got naturally and not from self-injuring. It is a compulsive thing (I don't like the dried up scab for some reason), but it also does hurt sometimes. I just feel so much release when I tear the scab off and I am fascinated by watching the blood come out.

Sounds weird writing it, but I'm sure you guys know what I mean. It doesn't even happen because I feel traumatized and want to feel pain... It has this really compulsive element to it that I don't exactly understand.(I might put this post in the compulsive forum) And just a small back history, I have had a looong history of self-injury starting when I was 16 . It stopped for the most part around age 21, but then I started abusing alcohol a lot so that kinda replaced it.

Thanks everyone & this is my first post, so heyyy!!! :)
- 23 yr old psych student w/ Bi Polar Disorder.. (recent issue: Nothing much. Finally in a hopeful mood, but def not manic or anything. I'm still in my usual alcohol-craving state though, can't get that outta my mind. as of 02/17/2012)
RainingFire
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Thu May 25, 2017 12:58 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Picking scabs

Postby DarkDreamer19 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:52 am

Hi scab picker,

Haha, yeah, that's kinda gross! Anyways My name is Kohaku and just so you know I'm jsut an alter for Kim, Kim is DID, just so you understand at the beging incase you notice different people answering any of your post. So other then that...what would you like to talk about.
Kimberly - 21 - Host - (( † Tainted Dove † ))
Kohaku - 19 - Protector
Angel - 25 - Protector
Vex - 21 - Ghost
Raven - 19 - Abuser
Vincent - 18 - Abuser
Axel - 18 - Abuser/Protector
Rosie - 7 - Abused Child
Alice - 13 - Abused Child
Suffers from: schizophrenia, abuse, learning Disableity, DID, and MDD
DarkDreamer19
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Thu May 25, 2017 6:58 am

Postby RainingFire » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:00 am

DarkDreamer19 wrote:Hi scab picker,

Haha, yeah, that's kinda gross! Anyways My name is Kohaku and just so you know I'm jsut an alter for Kim, Kim is DID, just so you understand at the beging incase you notice different people answering any of your post. So other then that...what would you like to talk about.

Ok cool! I had to figure out for a second what that meant; I'm new to a lot of psych lingo btw :) .. and this whole message board thing in general. Was I supposed to quote you in my reply or no?

Yeah it's reallllly gross. I guess I'm wondering, what are things I can try to get myself to stop compulsively picking at my skin? This has been going on for way too long!
- 23 yr old psych student w/ Bi Polar Disorder.. (recent issue: Nothing much. Finally in a hopeful mood, but def not manic or anything. I'm still in my usual alcohol-craving state though, can't get that outta my mind. as of 02/17/2012)
RainingFire
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby DarkDreamer19 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:05 am

that's alright, We've haven't been here that long either, and no you don't have to quote us to reply, hit hit, "post reply" on top or bottom of the post you've made. I'm still learning the lino myself.

How about puting band aids on the scabe and wearing pants, or cut your nails, or maybe even out tape on your fingers so it'll be hard to scrach or pull off the scabs.
Kohaku - 19 - Protector
Angel - 25 - Protector
Vex - 21 - Ghost
Raven - 19 - Abuser
Vincent - 18 - Abuser
Rosie - 7 - Abused Child
DarkDreamer19
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby RainingFire » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:32 am

I always do this after I get out of the shower... I also really want to cut myself sometimes but I've managed to stop so far. Its getting harder and harder though, because I am also trying to drink less, so I'm in a really really weird mood. :(
RainingFire
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby ambivalence » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:42 am

My Dad is really bad for picking scabs... he is covered in scars from doing it and always has more on the go (he is incredibly clumsy and has no depth perception, not a good combination when you are doing "handy work" :roll: )

I didn't self harm much between 12ish-14/15 so I started picking scabs, only sometimes they were self inflicted if I didn't have any "natural" ones. My mom actually took me to a dermatologist and while we were there she asked him how come my one scab wouldn't go away (it was like a raised scar type thing, weird) and he told me to stop picking at it XD

I also have a bad habit of biting my fingers, like the sides and such. So it's embarrassing to have all these scab things on my fingers especially when I'm coming into contact with anyone new.

I don't really think it's gross, if it's your own scabs you are picking of course! :wink:
I already know where to find the answer... It's under my skin, and that's why I can't stop.

Off. Dx: Borderline & Avoidant PD's, Social Anxiety, Dysthymia, Binge Eating Disorder... Self Injurer & mild PTSD/OCD.
ambivalence
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu May 25, 2017 1:58 am
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby DarkDreamer19 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:01 am

Is there anything that you like to do in your spare time? So instead of cutting or drinking, you could do that instead. Kim loves to draw and write when she feels the urge to self-harm. Is there anything that comes to mind?
Kohaku - 19 - Protector
Angel - 25 - Protector
Vex - 21 - Ghost
Raven - 19 - Abuser
Vincent - 18 - Abuser
Rosie - 7 - Abused Child
DarkDreamer19
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby RainingFire » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:23 am

@DarkDreamer I really like writing. It's hard for me to do it now because when I was a kid, my mom used to read my private journals/stories and then confront me about it... But I need to. It'll help in so many ways. You're right. Thank you :)

Ughh I shouldn't have mentioned drinking because now I just started. I don't have that much, though. Idk I'm nervous for class tomorrow. I've had a weird episode this past week (this actually happens almost every year in September; last year I was getting out of the hospital around this time) where I was really depressed and didn't do anything besides go to work, eat, and pick at my scabs, lol... And I got so behind on homework. So I'm stressed out to go to my class tomorrow since I ditched it last week. So I decided that drinking for just one more night would make me feel better about it.

And, thanks @Ambivalence lol it is only me picking the scabs, but I really dislike how my legs look. I couldn't wear a skirt to the club a few weeks ago. Actually I haven't even been able to shave my legs for a few weeks because of all the open scabs :-/ Thanks for the understanding!!
RainingFire
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby DarkDreamer19 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:38 am

"To quit addiction, is to get a new addiction!" Is what Kim's Uncle told her as he tried to quite smoking, and started to chew on seeds.

So RainingFire, I'll make a deal with you since you seem to like Kim's funny story. If you don't drink or cut yourself for a whole day, I will tell you another funny story about Kim...so how about it? Does that sound good to you?
Kohaku - 19 - Protector
Angel - 25 - Protector
Vex - 21 - Ghost
Raven - 19 - Abuser
Vincent - 18 - Abuser
Rosie - 7 - Abused Child
DarkDreamer19
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby lilyfairy » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:08 am

Hi RainingFire- welcome to the forum.

I pick at scabs a lot too- I've had ones that have taken months to heal because I keep picking at them. I often do it absent-mindedly. My usual method of self harm is cutting, but picking is something I do without realising. Was in a bit of a stressful situation yesterday, and managed to pull the skin off the sides of my fingers- like you described over a six hour period. So no, you're definitely not alone.
"Courage isn't having the strength to go on- it is going on when you don't have the strength." - Napoleon Bonaparte

Forum Rules
lilyfairy
Site Admin

Local time: Thu May 25, 2017 4:58 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Next

Return to Cutting and Self Injury Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post