Our partner

Urge to Peel Off Skin

Open discussions about Cutting and Self Injury. This forum may be triggering.

Moderators: CrackedGirl, Restored, EarlGreyDregs, lilyfairy, gratteciel

Urge to Peel Off Skin

Postby en_causa_sui » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:40 am

Has anyone here had the urge to peel off their skin? I can't sleep right now (despite the Trazodone and Vicodin for my back) because I really want to peel it off. All of it.

I have no idea why I want to do this but it's different from the urge to cut and I don't like it. Are there any suggestions? I've been playing Solitaire for the last couple hours trying to think about something else. I talked to my girlfriend, read a bit of a book, and even took more Vicodin. It's really not working.
-PD sandwich with a side of specific phobia and a large fetish to go-
en_causa_sui
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:53 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Urge to Peel Off Skin

Postby jasmin » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:13 pm

En_causa, how about doing something that's kinda like it?... How about peeling an orange? Maybe these thoughts are a bit related to OCD, if they're intrusive and you can't get rid of the urge.
forum-rules.php
I am sorry I am not on the forum as much as I used to be, if I do not reply to you quickly, please contact another moderator/supermod/admin as well.
jasmin
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:53 pm

Postby en_causa_sui » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:30 pm

Huh, I don't have any OCD tendencies so this would be a first. I'll try the orange thing next time though.
en_causa_sui
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby jasmin » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:00 pm

Oh, sorry, it's just that some people have said that they get ocd-like thoughts when they start taking meds. I'm sure it doesn't happen to everyone, though. I hope the orange works.
forum-rules.php
I am sorry I am not on the forum as much as I used to be, if I do not reply to you quickly, please contact another moderator/supermod/admin as well.
jasmin
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:53 pm

Postby Onebravegirl » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Yeah I have had this. For me it was extreme anxiety caused by Trauma trigger. Anxiety can be so much more powerful than people give it credit. It can even cause actual pain.
Another possible reason is your Meds. Even what foods get mixed with some Meds. Caffeine can be bad too.
Depending on if it is anxiety or not there are a few things that might help. Holding ice in your palm can help. So can doing something that is completely out of the element you are in at the beginning of the feeling. Jog around the block as soon as it starts. Jumping Jacks...something that demands that your mind focus its energy physically in a different way.
Tell your doc as well. Just in case it is something chemical...
I hope it helps...
One
Onebravegirl
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:53 am

Postby en_causa_sui » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:30 am

onebravegirl wrote:Yeah I have had this. For me it was extreme anxiety caused by Trauma trigger. Anxiety can be so much more powerful than people give it credit. It can even cause actual pain.
Another possible reason is your Meds. Even what foods get mixed with some Meds. Caffeine can be bad too.
Depending on if it is anxiety or not there are a few things that might help. Holding ice in your palm can help. So can doing something that is completely out of the element you are in at the beginning of the feeling. Jog around the block as soon as it starts. Jumping Jacks...something that demands that your mind focus its energy physically in a different way.
Tell your doc as well. Just in case it is something chemical...
I hope it helps...
One

I don't get anxiety. I do take a lot of meds though so yeah, that could be the cause. Haha, and I probably won't talk to my doctor about it. As far as my psychiatrist is concerned, I really don't trust her enough to let her know more than she already does. This was probably just a temporary thing.
en_causa_sui
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Onebravegirl » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:53 pm

What point would that serve? You are the one who is miserable about this. If she can help a bit, that is her job. If you've got to go anyway you might as well get some use out of her.
One
Onebravegirl
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby boomba94 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:01 pm

I dont know if this is actually the same thing..
but i used to soak my hands in water until the skin got really subbery like and soft, than i would just pick the skin right off... mostly in my finger tips. pretty soon i didnt even have a finger print. and now a days, i have scars on the pads of my fingers.
but in your case, i think its an ocd thing... do you take zoloft or anything?
What doesn't kill you can only make you stronger
boomba94
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:53 am

Postby FrayedEndOfSanity » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:27 pm

Boomba, if you don't mind me asking--how did you stop?

--Frayed
Do not take my advice or anyone else's before talking to your doctor/counselor/other professional. Depending on where you live, you may be able to find free, confidential care. Most importantly, sometimes your shrink can be wrong. Get a second opinion.
If I don't respond to a thread and there's an issue--PM me.
FrayedEndOfSanity
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Onebravegirl » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:55 pm

Boomba, I have hear of this before. I knew a woman who would use the tip of her fingers and rub her face and neck in the same spots over and over until they were raw. So sad. I hope you are much better now,
With Hope,
One
Onebravegirl
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Cutting and Self Injury Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views