Our partner

Urge to Peel Off Skin

Open discussions about Cutting and Self Injury. This forum may be triggering.

Moderators: Snaga, lilyfairy, weepingwillow

Re: Urge to Peel Off Skin

Postby sabrdawg » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:18 pm

As long as I can remember, up until about a few months ago, I could not stop picking at my fingers. Any time there was a piece of rough skin I'd have to peel it off. My mom told me that when I was about 4 I picked to the point where they would bleed. I'm not quite sure what exactly got me to finally stop, but I do take Zoloft and Wellbutrin, as well as Adderall. I told myself that I wanted to finally stop, and tired to fight the urge. I use lotion a lot and that helps. Now that I haven't picked in awhile, I'm motivated to keep it that way and my skin is so much healthier. I don't notice as much rough skin. The hardest part for me was stopping in the first place, and now that I see how healthy my skin is, I don't want to pick anymore. I still struggle a bit with zits, but I'm trying to work on that, too :)
Normal is overrated :D
sabrdawg
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:21 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Onebravegirl » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:53 pm

Well done! Drinking lots of water helps acne. That and Proactive. You are a great example of when we make up our mind the rest will follow. The toughest part is the decision. Very well done!
One
Two men looked through bars. One saw Mud, the other saw Stars.
Onebravegirl
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:21 am

Postby sabrdawg » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:09 pm

@ onebravegirl:

Thank you!!! It's awesome to have encouraging words :) I use Proactiv a lot, and that stuff is awesome! I noticed that when I was drinking a lot of water at one point, it did bring the acne to the surface faster and seemed to be flushing the toxins. Whenever I feel like I need to pick, I just try to stop in my tracks. Sometimes I catch myself picking when I'm nervous, but for the most part, it's getting better :)
sabrdawg
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby en_causa_sui » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:36 am

I used to do something similar to the fingertips thing but it was my feet that I'd soak in water. Then I'd peel off the skin until the bottoms were raw. Oddly enough, my feet are incredibly soft now.

But now this urge has spread to my legs and my arms. My fingers, hands, and scalp.

Yes, I do take Zoloft. Why?
-PD sandwich with a side of specific phobia and a large fetish to go-
en_causa_sui
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:21 am

Postby Onebravegirl » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:30 pm

I tried Paxil once and it felt like I had ants under my skin. Moving around and a tingle itchiness. Horrible feeling and I dropped that drug right away. Ever drug effects people differently. My sister and father use Paxil and have no problem with it. I think this is why there are an endless varieties of these types of drugs. If you suspect it may be the medication, I strongly suggest that you tell your Doc about it and try a different Med. It can be a big decision if you are on a fairly high dose because you may have to get used to new side effects from a new Med, but some side effects are more acceptable than others.
Please also keep in mind that if you are Drinking Alcohol or doing Street drugs of any kind you will not get the true benefit of any Medication. It may even cause very very serious side effects.
Wishing you well,
One
Onebravegirl
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby en_causa_sui » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:07 am

Ah yeah, those damn illegal drugs. lol I seriously doubt they have any effect on my meds though.

Is the urge to peel off skin really a side effect of Zoloft? That seems like something they should mention in the commercials. :lol:

Hm, I suppose I'll talk to my psychiatrist about it. It's getting steadily stronger and thus more annoying.
en_causa_sui
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby sabrdawg » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:01 pm

Zoloft actually helped me to cut down on picking....it's interesting how meds affect everyone differently!
sabrdawg
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Onebravegirl » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:09 pm

It is impossible to get the true effect of any medication if you are drinking alcohol or doing drugs while taking a prescribed drug en causa sui. That is a very dangerous cocktail. Some people have had very serious log term complications due to that. I know of one person who was taking anti anxiety meds and alcohol and now has a permanent tick in her neck. Her head sways back and forth unvolutarily. No cure..
One
Onebravegirl
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby en_causa_sui » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:53 am

onebravegirl wrote:It is impossible to get the true effect of any medication if you are drinking alcohol or doing drugs while taking a prescribed drug en causa sui. That is a very dangerous cocktail. Some people have had very serious log term complications due to that. I know of one person who was taking anti anxiety meds and alcohol and now has a permanent tick in her neck. Her head sways back and forth unvolutarily. No cure..
One

Oh, good thing I don't have anxiety then, eh? lol

I'm pretty sure I now know the reason as to why I'm having these urges and hopefully they'll clear up in the next day or two along with several other issues.
en_causa_sui
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Onebravegirl » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:16 pm

I hope relief is right around the corner for you!
One
Two men looked through bars. One saw Mud, the other saw Stars.
Onebravegirl
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

PreviousNext

Return to Cutting and Self Injury Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post