Our partner

How long do scars last?

Open discussions about Cutting and Self Injury. This forum may be triggering.

Moderators: CrackedGirl, Restored, EarlGreyDregs, lilyfairy, gratteciel

How long do scars last?

Postby electric blue » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:02 am

How long do scars last on your arm from cutting?
electric blue
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:13 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: How long do scars last?

Postby NGofCS » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:38 am

Depends on lots of things:

How deep is it?
How wide is it?
Was there an attempt to make it bigger/deeper/wider?
Did it get infected?
How quickly do you heal?
Do scars discolor your skin (more common with black African heritage. My skin gets discolored)?
Are you prone to cheloid scarring (more common with African and Mediterranean)?

Topical vitamin E can reduce the appearance of the scars. Personally, I like mine. Not sure why.
“I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.”
- Galileo Galilei

They call me...Threadkiller!!!
NGofCS
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:13 pm

Postby Trolly_Trollerson » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:49 am

Let me put it to you this way. When I was in 7th grade, some kid accidentally clawed my hand with a fingernail while we were playing basketball and made a very superficial cut about an inch long. It's been over 10 years, and the scar is still mildly visible.

If you've made serious cuts on your arms, the scars will be there forever without some kind of treatment (topical vitamin E cream works well), although they will start becoming less visible after a year or two.
Trolly_Trollerson
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:13 pm

Postby Hammer » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:23 am

I have only cut myself a few times but I also liked to and still like to rough house with cats. I love the claws digging into my skin. Most of the cuts on my arms weren't deep at all have been there for upwards of 6-7 years. Normally you can't see them but if my arms are cold enough to get goosebumps then every scar shows up purple on my arms. I like my battle scars though :p I don't know if fat takes an account on this. I have almost no fat and it's easy for shallow cuts/scratches to draw my blood.
Hammer
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:13 am

Postby titus » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:55 pm

Most of mine faded away, those from cutting and burning. It took about 4-5 years. It also depends on how tan you are. I myself am very pale, and my scars tend to be pink or white, so they blend in. Many people's scars look worse if their skin gets darker...eventually most can at least fade or go down a bit, but others may never change. Go to the store and buy that cream that makes them go away...I don't think it's 100% but it's worth a shot if you're desperate.
Lurking in the grass, this grass is my home, this home is the void, the void of my mind...
titus
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby sssfjuu » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:26 pm

my first cut was when I was 7 I'm now 29 and its still there as a constant reminder. My upper arm is now literally striped like a tigers. The cuts I have had stiched are far less visible.
sssfjuu
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Return to Cutting and Self Injury Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post