Our partner

is this self harm?

Open discussions about Cutting and Self Injury. This forum may be triggering.

Moderators: CrackedGirl, Restored, lilyfairy, gratteciel

is this self harm?

Postby superstar » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:26 am

Is squeezing blackheads and blemishes, and picking at them to the point of delaying the healing process considered self harm? How about tearing and picking at fingernails and hangnails? Just wondering. I've always done these things.

me
superstar
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:26 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby jasmin » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:34 pm

If you see it as a way to sort of punish yourself or get rid of stress, I guess it could be considered self harm. Why do you think you do it?
jasmin
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:26 am

Postby superstar » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:49 pm

I think I might be under the illusion that I can dig the dirty, evil, filth out of me if I pick and squeeze at pimples and scabs. The nails are mostly a nervous habit, though I do get a strange pleasure from the pain and the blood. I don't like the irregularities on my skin or scalp when I have any kind of blemish or sore. So I pick at them, but I love when it bleeds. Then they don't heal like they should. hmmm...I also despise body hair. Pretty f#@%ing twisted, huh? I used to cut when I was a teenager, but it drew too much attention so I quit. I might take it up again.

me
superstar
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:26 pm

Postby bereft » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:35 am

Damaged,

I don't like the irregularities on my skin or scalp when I have any kind of blemish or sore. So I pick at them, but I love when it bleeds. Then they don't heal like they should. hmmm...I also despise body hair. Pretty f#@%ing twisted, huh? I used to cut when I was a teenager, but it drew too much attention so I quit. I might take it up again.

I hit a rough spot last year and began doing what you are describing with my scalp. Like you, it was the irregularities that kept me at it.

My doc said it was a form of OCD, which makes sense to me. I also have some trichotillomania going on with it. The scab picking and blemish popping often is associated as well. When I was younger, I couldn't leave zits alone either, and now it is the same way with fever blisters.

My suggestion about the scalp scratching is to try to find someway to control it. Easier said than done, I know, but I ended up with impetigo that is still not under control after 6 months. So this is something that can cause medical problems as well.

There are some suggestions for trich control in that forum on this site or I can give you a few that have helped me to some degree.

Best,
Things Fall Apart
bereft
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:26 am

Postby rich1966gp » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:04 pm

holy cow!are you reading my mind or living my life for me?you described the exact things that i do again.my arms are all tore up right now.ive got scars everywhere because of it.i never cut though.but if i see a black head or zit i have to pop it.then i have to keep picking at it to make sure there isnt anything left in it.by the time it does heal it grows from the size of a pen tip to about an inch across or larger.and i sometimes pull my facial hair.ill sit and pull my moustache for some reason.
i have bipolar,PTSD,ADD,anxiety,anger,traumatic brain injury and who knows what else
rich1966gp
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby Butterfly Faerie » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:44 pm

Anything relating to hitting, squeezing, picking, scratching, punching etc is self harm. Whether it's banging your leg with your hand, picking at skin, pinching etc, is all related.
Butterfly Faerie
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:26 am

Postby jasmin » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:31 pm

What makes you say that it isn't harmful, Bijay?
jasmin
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby aquagurl119 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:04 am

I dunno about you, but if I have a scab or somethin it's just THERE! It's so tempting and ya just gotta pick at it. Is it physically self harm well yeh but mentally? Not for most people. I mean, when I do it I aint thinkin bout punishing myself or I look bad or whatever, I just do it cuz it gives me somethin to do when I'm bored I guess. It's like chewing on an ID or playing with a necklace or twisting an earring. It's just a natural thing - ya gotta do something wit yer hands and when there's something sticking out on yer skin ya just gotta hack away at it! I find it funny when I do it and I see nothing wrong with doing it. I'm not purposely harming myself with the intent to relieve stress. I like pickin skin and stuff anyway even if it's not on my own body. If somebody's got peeling sunburn I gotta pick it! What about people in the medical profession? They like needles and blood and if they pick their skin it's not cuz they're stressed or depressed. It's just their nature to do things like that! No worries bout it superstar. No worries at all! I'd bet 90% of the population does it!
aquagurl119
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Postby Tenaciouscj » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:10 am

Oh, I have this trouble with picking scabs and blemishes too. I just can't leave a scab alone and have this sore on the back of my head that keeps coming back because I pick at it. I also have done self harm like cutting and burning but haven't for a while. Ever since I was five, I bit my nails and sometimes get tears in the skin and it bleeds.
Tenaciouscj
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby violetdawn » Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:36 am

this is called sisp, self injurious skin picking and it's a real disorder. and many many people have it. i fight with it though i've gotten much better with a sponsor. go to this website: stoppingonme.com. you'll find all the information you'll ever need and a great community of people. and you'll also find my blog in the private journals thread. you have to sign up to see it.

not that my life is very thrilling :roll:

but seriously, i hope someone reads this and gets help through the website. it's basically cured me of the urges.

good luck all!

vi
violetdawn
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Return to Cutting and Self Injury Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post