Our partner

New to forum

Open discussions about Cutting and Self Injury. This forum may be triggering.

Moderators: Snaga, lilyfairy, weepingwillow

New to forum

Postby Happiness1971 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:09 am

Just married and my husband will be so angry if I hurt myself again. The stress of a whole new life is so huge that the only thing I can think of sometimes is the relief if I could do this. How do other people deal with this urge?
Happiness1971
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:35 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: New to forum

Postby ColouredLeaves » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:18 am

Hi. I like to write on myself when I feel like the pressure is too great to just sit with it. But then it's the visual effect of the sh that I crave. Figure out what it is about sh that soothes you and once you figure that out it will be easier to think of alternatives. Is it the sight of blood like me? Is it pain? Are you trying to communicate? Ground yourself? Are you angry? Overwhelmed? Numb?
ColouredLeaves
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:35 pm

Re: New to forum

Postby smurf » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:58 am

Happiness 1971 welcome to the forums.

Congratulations on being a newlywed.

For me I use exercise, such as cycling or swimming as a distraction from cutting. With cycling depending on how bad they urges are, I might pedal further or faster and do a shorter ride. I also find colouring very therapeutic as it keeps your head focused and your hands busy too. I think being able to identify your triggers and having an awareness of what helped prevent you hurting yourself last time is definitely key to managing the urges. If you have a blip, recognise it as that then move on. We all have blips from time to time, but we need to remember to forgive ourselves too
smurf
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:35 pm

Return to Cutting and Self Injury Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post