Our partner

Self harming when not upset *TW*

Open discussions about Cutting and Self Injury. This forum may be triggering.

Moderators: Snaga, lilyfairy, weepingwillow

Self harming when not upset *TW*

Postby sh605 » Fri May 06, 2016 2:12 am

Today I cut myself and I wasn't upset or anything. I only felt kind of bad after I did it because I know my family will be upset. I also do it when I'm upset but a lot of the time I do it just because I get the urge to every once in a while, especially if I see pictures of certain things or if I see something that I could use to hurt myself, both of which happened this week. I was really uncertain of even posting here because thinking and talking about it might make me do it again, I don't know. I guess I'm just wondering if this is something anyone else deals with, wanting to hurt yourself just because.
Last edited by Echinacea on Fri May 06, 2016 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added *TW*
sh605
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:40 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Self harming when not upset *TW*

Postby Emmi » Fri May 06, 2016 12:28 pm

Hi
for me, the reasons why I cut can vary. Mostly its because of anxiety but sometimes its as a punishment or because I feel unclean or something else.
So I don't have to be upset to have urges to cut, and urges can come from anywhere.
Do you have any help at all? Have you tried alternative coping skills?
I hope you managed to not cut again.
Keep safe
Emmi
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:40 pm

Postby sh605 » Fri May 06, 2016 8:46 pm

I did again this morning only because of the fight I had last night over it. I have had help when I was a kid I was in a lot of therapy. I don't feel like it helped much because I've never met a doctor I felt like I could trust. I know my issues are deep enough and I've been off my meds long enough that if I went to a doctor now they would lock me up and I can't do that my partner wouldn't be able to pay all our bills on his own. I've tried rubber bands and ice but it only works for a little while.
sh605
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Emmi » Sat May 07, 2016 4:29 pm

I'm sorry you haven't found a doctor you felt you could trust, sometimes it takes a long while to find someone. Why did you stop taking your meds, didn't they help?
There is a good list in the alternatives sticky thread, maybe you can have a look at it and see if there is anything you can try. Ice and rubberbands don't work so well for me either, I just get more triggered by it.
Emmi
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:40 pm

Postby Snaga » Sun May 08, 2016 4:52 am

Ice and rubber bands don't do $#%^ for me. And rubber bands hurt more than the kinds of burns I usually do- it's not just about pain. It's about the perception of damaging myself.

But back to the original post. Shoot yeah sweet pea. I SH cause I'm anxious. I have to self-punish. I'm super tired and have to keep going. I'm angry at myself. I'm feeling the need to.

It's an addiction. Addictions don't always need a reason, sweets. Sometimes it's an itch that just needs to be scratched.
We do not delete posts.
Please do read the Forum Rules
Snaga
Site Admin

Return to Cutting and Self Injury Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post