Our partner

can I still make it in the real world?

Open discussions about Cutting and Self Injury. This forum may be triggering.

Moderators: Snaga, lilyfairy, weepingwillow

can I still make it in the real world?

Postby McCray » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:37 am

I came from a difficult past. I started self harming when I was 8 years old, the trigger point was being molested. I showed signs of mental illness before that. Jump 10 years later and though I have many problems i do well for myself. I work, I go to both day school and real estate school, I have plans to go to get another degree next year. People who look at me are very impressed with who I have become despite the challenges I have faced..so on to my past. Last year I was anorexic and had to spend some time in the hospital. I didn't cut though. I only just 3 weeks ago relapsed after being clean for 2 years. I now do this regularly to calm myself down, or if I am having a conflict with my best friend for example. I don't know why, it really really helps me. So my question is..can this be practical looking forward? It can't kill me if I do it in moderation. So why do people make a big deal out of it?
McCray
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:54 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: can I still make it in the real world?

Postby Emmi » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:03 pm

Hi
It sounds like you've been through alot. Do you have any support in 3D?
Do you know what triggered your relapse 3 weeks ago?
The problem with self harm is that it usually escalates. Even if it starts out small, it can become a severe problem quite fast. And even if it feels like its helping, thats only short term. In the long run it only makes things worse.
Emmi
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:54 pm

Postby lilyfairy » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:09 pm

Hi McCray

I think there is a lot for you to deal with there as well, and would echo the question about 3D support too. It can make a really big difference.

McCray wrote:It can't kill me if I do it in moderation. So why do people make a big deal out of it?
The trouble with this is, that it has a tendency to start out small. And then slowly escalates over time. A "little bit" becomes a bit more and without realising, you can end up at a point of causing serious harm to yourself- and often not being able to recognise where you're at with that level of danger, or dismissing it.

Please keep yourself safe. There's also a list of alternatives and distractions listed in this thread here cutting-self-injury/topic152642.html that you might find helpful.

Hugs and keep safe
Lily
First rule of mental health: Learn to distinguish who deserves an explanation, who deserves only one answer, and who deserves absolutely nothing.

Forum Rules

Whatever you're doing today, do it with the confidence of a four-year-old in a Batman t-shirt.
lilyfairy
Site Admin

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:54 pm

Postby CrackedGirl » Fri May 01, 2015 7:03 pm

McCray wrote:I came from a difficult past. I started self harming when I was 8 years old, the trigger point was being molested. I showed signs of mental illness before that. Jump 10 years later and though I have many problems i do well for myself. I work, I go to both day school and real estate school, I have plans to go to get another degree next year. People who look at me are very impressed with who I have become despite the challenges I have faced..so on to my past. Last year I was anorexic and had to spend some time in the hospital. I didn't cut though. I only just 3 weeks ago relapsed after being clean for 2 years. I now do this regularly to calm myself down, or if I am having a conflict with my best friend for example. I don't know why, it really really helps me. So my question is..can this be practical looking forward? It can't kill me if I do it in moderation. So why do people make a big deal out of it?

Hugs - I would also reiterate that self harm tends to escalate making it more physically dangerous and psychologically damaging.

I know you said about the cutting to calm yourself down and if you have a conflict with your best friend, can I ask what caused you to relapse in the first place? Do you know? I just wonder if there is something going on in your life which needs addressing. There is usually a reason for a relapse and I think it can be helpful to identify this if possible and act on it. Of course you dont have to say here if you dont want to but it might be worth thinking about to try to identify.

And def what help are you getting in 3D?

Hugs and keep safe

Cracked
So long and thanks for all the fish

Now we are out of the sea and we're keeping away from the sharks

We don't delete posts on demand

The Rules

When all else fails, hug the CAT

Obey The Moderator

CrackedGirl
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:54 pm