Our partner

What's a good way to celebrate recovery?

Open discussions about Cutting and Self Injury. This forum may be triggering.

Moderators: CrackedGirl, Restored, EarlGreyDregs, lilyfairy, gratteciel

What's a good way to celebrate recovery?

Postby leannareece » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:35 am

It's been almost 2 months since I made the decision to quit self harming and I'm feeling quite positive about my recovery and have been wanting to do something to celebrate it.
Have any of you guys done something special for yourself in regards to recovery?
This is the first time in my life that I was ever serious about quitting and even though I have urges and rough days, I'm feeling proud of myself for making it this far. I really just want to commemorate my choice to quit and to reward myself, if you will, for not giving in to self harm.
leannareece
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:14 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: What's a good way to celebrate recovery?

Postby gratteciel » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:36 am

You can do a lot of things! A road trip, a day off work, treating yourself to a manicure or pedicure or new clothes, jewelry, or redecorating your bedroom.

Personally, I told myself if I didn't cut on my wrist for six months, I would get a tattoo there because I'd always wanted one. And I also said I had to work on not cutting anywhere else as well (but I said the wrist first because it's where I do it when I'm suicidal) but I would not make myself stop cold turkey for the tattoo. That way, if I cut on my thighs or something, I wouldn't feel like a total failure, and I could reward myself for alleviating one part of the problem. And I REALLY wanted a tattoo, so it worked. I went actually closer to 9 months before I did it, and now I've got a tattoo right over my scars that says "tempus aurum" (time is gold in Latin) with a semicolon under it. (Look up the semicolon project for suicide awareness; that's why I did it.) It is actually a good reminder to me, both when I want to cut there and when I'm just down. I don't know how you feel about a tattoo, but that's what helped me.

Congrats on your progress! Definitely reward yourself somehow. You deserve it.
"Scar tissue has no character. It doesn't show age or illness or pallor or tan. It has no pores, no hair, no wrinkles. It's like a slipcover. It shields and disguises what's beneath. That's why we grow it; we have something to hide."

Dx: Bipolar, type II
Rx: Lamictal, 100 mg; Lithium, 1350 mg
gratteciel
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:14 pm

Postby CrackedGirl » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:36 am

Something I do to celebrate my achievements and reward myself is getting piercings or a tattoo - I see it as a permanent beautiul celebration on my body. If you are not looking for something permanent tho it would be good to think about something you want to have or want to do and look into making that real. If it is going somewhere you could take photos whilst you are there and put them in an album to remind you. You could also write a letter to yourself to remind you of this time in your life in the future. Jewellery might be a good thing as you could wear it and remind yourself of what you have achieved. Have fun thinking of something!

Hugs

Cracked
It's a pretty big world God
And I am awful small
Everyday they rain down on me
Flower in a hailstorm

We don't delete posts on demand

The Rules

Liberal Backslider

Obey The Moderator

CrackedGirl
Site Admin

Local time: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:14 pm
Blog: View Blog (177)

Postby redbuLL1397 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:38 am

You can celebrate by doing the things that you've always wanted or sometimes buying he things that you always wanted.
redbuLL1397
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:59 am

Return to Cutting and Self Injury Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post