Our partner

Coping with a deformity

Coping Methods & Techniques message board, open discussion, and online support

Coping with a deformity

Postby love2015 » Tue May 19, 2015 2:45 pm

i had surgery about three years ago and there was a complication that occurred that is a not a known complication and it has ruined my life.
I had self esteem issues before but now it's to the point where I can't leave the house because of the way people treat me.
My psychiatrist says that if I begin to go out and face the crowd, eventually it will become easier. For example ok let just explain that before the surgery I was a normal girl that went to a lot of different places and did many things. I had a job, etc. so there was a fair I went to annually and I looked forward to it every year. Now I won't go to this fair because of the deformity...because every time I go out I get INTRUSIVE stares, laughter and pointing, ignored by cashiers and people who should be assisting me if I want to buy something, people roll their eyes at me etc,.. I honestly am so hurt beyond explanation about this...I have considered suicide in the past and was hospitalized and then I progressed ...thus was for about three and a half years...so I go to therapy and I see a psychiatrist for medication...and I told my dr. That I don't go out much and he said that little by little if I try going out it will get easier to deal with the stares and rude treatment but I Don't believe this...I believe if one is being mistreated they will, and should, avoid the abuser. I will never be conditioned to get used to bad treatment. I think my dr. Is wrong. What do you think?
love2015
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:55 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Coping with a deformity

Postby Mr.M » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:07 pm

I know I am necroing this thread nearly a month later but I just came across it and felt compelled to respond.

I hope your psychatrist is right, and you can get back enjoying life to its fullest, either little by little or all at once. There are lots of people out there who won't make fun of you, indeed I aver most of them. If some people do, well that is their problem and they are blatantly (i'll self edit a nasty word here that began with w and ends in s and rhymes with flankers). Obviously if they do it bothers you but can I ask why do you let it?

Also are you sure people are actually laughing at you and are not having a joke with themselves? Serious question but surely most people would not be that horrible? I like to think most people are inherently good.

Whatever your "deformity" is, I am sure it doesn't fully describe you. I don't know you but I am guessing there is a lot more to you than looks. in reality most of us wouldn't win a modelling contest, and those who would often have their own set of issues anyway. If I may be so bold to suggest concentrating on what you like doing and what you are good at. Don't give the (nasty word) the satisfaction of bothering you. Looks are so superficial, anyone who can't see past that is probably not worth the time of day anyway.

Big hugs to you, sorry once again for the late post.
Mr.M
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:55 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Coping Methods & Techniques

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post