Our partner

Is it verbal/emotional abuse?

Open Discussions About Child Abuse

Moderators: seabreezeblue, quietgirl2538, Terry E.

Forum rules
You are entering a forum that contains discussions of abuse, some of which are explicit in nature. The topics discussed may be triggering to some people. Please be aware of this before entering this forum.

Postby ekskor17 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:05 am

My parents call me lazy, socially unaware, and immature more often than they call me by my name. They constantly mimic how me and my sister act and tease me incessantly about trivial things after I asked them to stop. When I try to stand up for myself or my sister in one of these situations, they just yell even harder. They spank my brother once or twice every couple weeks, just often enough to scare me. They haven't said it, but I'm scared they're going to hit me. They constantly scedule my and then get mad when I point out what the schedule says. They also blame and punish me if my four-year-old brother makes a mess after I do my chores. The make little comments unintentionally that make me feel super bad about myself ('Did you really eat that much') (I'm borderline anorexic). To be honest, I have struggled with anxiety, OCD, social phobia, and borderline anorexia for six plus years. Is it verbal/emotional abuse or am I just overreacting?
ekskor17
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat May 27, 2017 10:55 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby ekskor17 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:16 am

I'm constantly yelled at, called names, mocked, and having offhand comments made about me. I am talking about my parents, and they said there doing there best to look out for me, apparently. Am I looking at this wrong, or was I abused?
Last edited by seabreezeblue on Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: change of title to reflect merge of both threads..
ekskor17
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat May 27, 2017 10:55 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Is it verbal/emotional abuse?

Postby quietgirl2538 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:47 pm

I would call it both. It's definitely sounds like verbal abuse and it takes it's toll on you that it also becomes emotional abuse. I seemed to have gone through the same thing and it was labeled "hypocritical parent." That is very hard to overcome, as I have learned. Be strong, you are dealing with so much but just try to look at the positive things that you look forward to, so that you reach out for those thoughts when you feel overwhelmed with only the negativity around you.
“There’s an Asian expression that ‘a burden shared is halved.’"

Dx: Bipolar I
Lamictal 300mg
Wellbutrin XL 300mg
Vraylar 4.5 mg
diazepam p.r.n 10 mg twice a day

Forum Rules
quietgirl2538
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Sat May 27, 2017 11:55 pm
Blog: View Blog (66)