Our partner

Was I abused? I can't tell.... (trigger warning)

Open Discussions About Child Abuse

Moderators: seabreezeblue, quietgirl2538, Terry E.

Forum rules
You are entering a forum that contains discussions of abuse, some of which are explicit in nature. The topics discussed may be triggering to some people. Please be aware of this before entering this forum.

Was I abused? I can't tell.... (trigger warning)

Postby redbean78 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:28 pm

Greetings, and I hope someone can help me out here. I still am confused as to whether or not I was abused, although many have given me mixed messages, and I'm hoping that someone can give me some guidance.

I was raised by my grandmother from 18 months until I became an adult because my mother's ex-boyfriend (not my dad) physically abused me. I get that's abuse. It was pretty bad, and required hospitalization. From that point on, my grandmother took care of me. The first time I remember my grandmother really losing it was when I was six, because I'd gone outside in a school clothes and gotten them dirty. My grandmother tore into me verbally, telling me how nasty of a little sh*t I was, and obviously I thought she was made of money, and that I obviously didn't care what happened to her so long as she took care of me. I didn't get it, all I knew is my grandmother was mad at me. But this continued. Occasionally, she'd take the broom handle and whack me one, which hurt, but I I just bowed my head and took it. The comments were the worst. Once, when I was a teenager, around fifteen years old, she got onto me because I was five minutes late coming home from a friend's house. "Oh, you're screwing everyone up the street, aren't ya?" This being screamed right in the middle of the road outside my house. "Bet you're just puttin' it all out there!" Then she gestures like she's fanning her crotch out to others, and makes the comment. " 'C'mon, boys, it's all nice and ready!' " I was bawling, telling her "NO, that's not true!" I was a virgin, and terrified of sex. When I was raped at three days before my 18th birthday, she actually got annoyed with me when the school called her to come up. She was taking me to the hospital, and in the car told me, "Well, if you were going to have sex, you shouldn't be trying to blame this young man. You're the one that opened your damned legs." Shortly thereafter, I attempted suicide for the first time.

When she died when I was 20, I thought, finally! I'm free of her! I'm free of her hateful comments, of her venom! But I started doing the same to others, and for many, many years, I've hated myself when I get mad and can't stop the things coming out of my mouth. I've been diagnosed with depression, Tourette's Syndrome (that was diagnosed at 12 years old, yeah, that wasn't fun...), and anxiety disorder. I have unreal levels of rage at myself when I don't get it, and actually hit myself violently when my emotions really get out of control. And I'm not talking little stuff, either. I've grabbed myself by the throat, wanting to kill myself. I've punched myself in the face (yes, that can be done). I've slapped, pinched, hit myself anywhere I could reach. I'm overweight in the extreme, and I'm sure it'll kill me before I'm in my 50's. I'm going on 39 in June. And the worst part is that I like to bite, and bite, and bite to cause pain. My poor fiancee's watched me do this and had to restrain me, and all I can do is scream and rage in frustration for not being able to hurt myself. I want to hit him and punch him for it, but I can hold myself back to that point. I can honestly say I've never hit anyone else, thank God! But this level of rage and venom is frightening, and any doctors I've gone to have only slapped it with medication and never looked to try to get the root of the issue out. I really think this is going to kill me one day, and while part of me says maybe that'd be a good thing, another part of me screams NO! I want to heal, I want to be happy, and most of all, I want to be free of this Godawful nightmarish need to hurt. Was I abused? Or am I just being stupid and blaming someone else for my twisted brain? I've been living with this all my life, and I truly am so tired of it. Can anyone help me out, here? Or am I in the wrong place. Again?
redbean78
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun May 28, 2017 10:58 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Was I abused? I can't tell.... (trigger warning)

Postby Terry E. » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:49 pm

The anger is hard to handle. I will come back later.

And you tick lots of boxes. A very hard young life.

Hugs if needed.
Terry E.
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Mon May 29, 2017 3:58 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Terry E. » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:28 am

Abuse is not just black and white nor does it damage all the same. There is a things Pyschs use call the Aces scale. Look it up. If you get 4 you are abused. I think you will get a much higher score than that.

Anger comes from frustration. You have so much to be frustrated at.

I believe the first steps are talking about it, (here will do ) and having others believe you. People try and offer advice when we often just want someone to listen and say, yes, that was terrible and so unfair.

Try and be kind to yourself. You have been through a lot.

I wish I could offer more.

Do you think your overeating could be related to your abuse. we either abuse drugs alcohol sex, over shop, over spend or over work (and lets not talk about hoarding). I am the overworker, although I hit alcohol very bad when young. I think I have been lucky.
Terry E.

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby thunderseed » Sat May 13, 2017 5:44 am

Yes that is definitely abuse, it's heart-breaking that any young person would have to go through something like that.
I think especially during the rape incident when you needed support and were instead emotionally abused is something you need to heal from.

I think it's pretty evident that the self-harm and rage is the result of all that abuse in your life building up and baiscally telling yourself that you're unworthy and you need to be punished and harmed, and quite possibly the rage comes out because you're angry that no one supported you and you have every right to be.

You CAN heal from this. You need to realize that it wasn't your fault, they were abusers, and you were a victim and you can stop the cycle of abuse now. The pain that happened in the past is in the past, and you can be safe in the here and now, but not until you let out the anger you feel towards those people that harmed you. You have every right to be angry at your grandmother. I think you need to give yourself a chance to express your feelings, like really truly express them, and be heard.

I too went through a terrible struggle of self mutilation because I was angry at everyone, and felt so unworthy and hated myself so much because of how much I was abused in my childhood and teenage years. It was even worse when they sent me to psych wards and it turned out a lot of the nurses there were just as abusive, I became extremely violent and actually did hurt people because it was the only way I knew how to stand up for myself and it almost felt empowering. I eventually worked on my anger issues and learned better ways to express myself.
There were many times in my life I felt suicidal. It's a terrible way to feel, especially when it's because you feel alone and like no one cares.

But all of that can be overcome. I took little steps in my recovery and even to this day I'm still working on building up my self esteem.
thunderseed
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Child Abuse Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post