Our partner

Repressed memories, and I know who abuser is *TW*

Open Discussions About Child Abuse

Moderator: Terry E.

Forum rules
You are entering a forum that contains discussions of abuse, some of which are explicit in nature. The topics discussed may be triggering to some people. Please be aware of this before entering this forum.

Repressed memories, and I know who abuser is *TW*

Postby piscesmama » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:46 am

Hello all,
I empathize with everyone here dealing with child abuse.
I'm 34, married, with a daughter.
Lately I've had some memories kind of bubble to the surface about my childhood. I was always an angry and lonely kid. By the time I was 8 years old I was competing with 4 sibling for any kind of attention from my parents. My dad worked all the time to support a family of 7, and my mother had bipolar disorder all along. She was not diagnosed until I was about 20.
There was not much love, attention, or affection in my household. Lots of screaming and sadness. My mother's attitude was "My life and and my problems are so much worse than yours, so don't bother me with your problems."

When I was about 8 or 9 my brothers had a friend named "K", about 12 years old. He would come over and, when no one was looking, corner me in my bedroom and do not-good things to me. Some of these memories are quite graphic. This went on for maybe a year or two. I never told anyone. In a sick way, this was one of the few people that ever paid any attention to me.

So, I find out that this guy "K" is friends with my brother on Facebook. He is married with kids. I felt sick looking seeing his picture, and thinking "I hope he never does to those kids what he did to me."

Should I confront? Should I tell me brother what is "friend" was up to years ago? What do I do with these memories?

In some ways...it's a relief because I now know why I was so angry and lonely during my childhood and adolescence.
piscesmama
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:48 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Repressed memories, and I know who abuser is *TW*

Postby seabreezeblue » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:51 pm

i'm really sorry that you went through all of that.. that should never have happened xx

So, I find out that this guy "K" is friends with my brother on Facebook. He is married with kids. I felt sick looking seeing his picture, and thinking "I hope he never does to those kids what he did to me."

Should I confront? Should I tell me brother what is "friend" was up to years ago? What do I do with these memories?

In some ways...it's a relief because I now know why I was so angry and lonely during my childhood and adolescence.

I can understand feeling relieved.. like it finally all makes sense..

As far as telling your brother and/or confronting goes.. that's a difficult one to answer. it would be worth thinking about whether you will be okay and able to handle this..
With regards to confronting specifically; safety is an important point to consider here.. if you do decide to confront, i think that it would be important to have someone there with you and to meet in a public but quiet place..

only you can decide if that's something that you would like to do.. it's a very personal and difficult decision to make..
Have you got a counsellor at all at the moment and if not is that something that you'd think about trying..? they can be really useful at helping you to work through all of this and work out what your next step should be

xx
Shine me a light up
and i'll run round the moon..
seabreezeblue
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:48 pm
Blog: View Blog (26)

Return to Child Abuse Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views