Our partner

What To Do If Your Child Gets Bullied

Open Discussions on the Problems of Bullying.

Re: What To Do If Your Child Gets Bullied

Postby seabreezeblue » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:36 pm

What should someone do if their child is special needs and gets bullied? The child may not realize they are being bullied and the bullies may take advantage of that.

What is the schools responsibility when a situation like this occurs?

^^ Not an easy answer to this one unfortunately.. the school has a responsibility to keep the child physically safe and to prevent them from being visibly bullied.
All too often though, the bullies discover that an easy option is to bully the child behind the teachers backs.. and then the teachers say that they can't do anything because they can't see it happening.
They will try to investigate but often give up at the first sign of the bully saying ''it didn't happen''
There are a few things that you can try..

1. if talking to the teacher doesn't help.. go directly to the headteacher.. they may be able to do something.
2. ask to see a copy of their policy on bullying.. it will explain what they must do in these situations.
3. call the local authority, they usually have a dedicated person that can intervene and liaise with both you and the school.
4. try speaking to the parents of the children.. this may or may not be helpful depending on the parents.
5. if the bullies are over the age of criminal responsibility - it may be possible to get the police to speak to them
6. if all else fails and your child is suffering because of it then a final resort would be to change schools.. just bear in mind that they may face the same issue in their next school because children do tend to have a ''pack'' mentality and pick out the weakest child to prod.

If the childs special needs are big enough, could you try to get them placed into a more suitable special needs school..? they'll be in a safer environment and with peers rather than children too far above them..
xx
Shine me a light up
and i'll run round the moon..
seabreezeblue
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:35 pm
Blog: View Blog (26)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Healthtoeo » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:29 am

I am still facing this as I am shorter in height as compared to others but what can I do, I just have to live with it.
Healthtoeo
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:05 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby boxer66 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:39 pm

As a boxing coach, I have seen the negative effects of bullying first hand. Bullying is a traumatizing phenomenon that can negatively impact its victims for years to come. I have found that teaching these youth the art of boxing can successfully combat bullying. Learning the sport really does help build self-confidence, and instill discipline. I believe that it can be a valuable tool in our arsenal in the fight against bullying.
boxer66
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:35 am

Postby kidsinthehouse » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:05 pm

We create videos for parents and kids that help kids deal with
all kinds of issues including Bullying. Here are some of our
Anti-Bullying Videos.

END BULLYING #END BULLYING
*mod edit*

What Is Cyber Bullying? Your Kid's Worst Nightmare. Stop Bullying By Doing THIS.
*mod edit*

Bullying Tips: How To Avoid A Bully In School
*mod edit*

These seem to work for a lot of kids but unfortunately there is no one size fits all approach to such a serious and complicated issue
Last edited by seabreezeblue on Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No advertising please.
kidsinthehouse
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:35 am

Postby licuid » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:51 pm

i think some of the advice in the original post i misguided. asking the bully to stop will only convey the message that the bully is achieving his goal. if the "bullying" comes from your childs friend, then explaining that their comments are hurtful and asking them to please stop or the friendship will cease, will work, but otherwise i think it's exteremly counter-productive.

getting your child to understand that the remarks are a projection of the bullies own self hatred will be hard but that is the first step that needs to be achieved. after achieving this, agreeing with the bully is a great stratergy for steering the bully away onto more rewarding targets, but it's not going to stop the bully from bullying others.

i agree that violence should not be advocated, but as parents you could arm your children with words to throw back at the bully. get your kid to point out the child, take a good look at him and their parents, then come up with, or scour the internet for something good for your child to obliterate the bully publically.

i think it's better than your child defends him/herself so as to save him/her from selfesteem and confidence issues later in life. a few detentions and poor disciplinary record at school is history after you move school, and it's nothing compared to the lifelong damage the sustained bullying could cause your child.
licuid
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:35 pm

Postby Prairie gal » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:30 am

Take swift and decisive action if you are the parent of a bullied child. It's totally unacceptable. Go to the principal, teachers, coach, parents or grandparents and siblings of the bully if necessary. If they don't take action, go to the PTA and School Board. If they don't do anything, go to the media or even police if necessary.

Besides that, you can send your child for self-defense courses. I do suggest standing up to a bully the first time he/she says or does anything unless he/she has a weapon or a gang supporting him/her.
Prairie gal
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:35 am

Postby Cherie71 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:24 pm

All too often, parents of bullied children don't know what to do when their child is bullied at school. They exhaust all efforts to protect the child and end up blaming him/her just to make sense of it all. I know about this all too well because it was the same with my parents when I was bullied in school years ago. I think that what to do about it depends of the types of bullies you are dealing with and on the environment the particular student is learning in. Some schools have programs in place to effectively combat bullying while others seem to promote bullying. Once we teach students the inner workings of bullies and the tactics they use to hurt people, we will be better equipped to successfully stand up to bullies. However, it starts with learning about the bullies' motivations for the torment, the mentality of the bully, and the climate of the school itself/whether or not the district promotes/eschews the practice of bullying.

I tell my own personal story of how I was bullied and how I was able to escape it and find happiness here:

*mod edit*
Last edited by quietgirl2538 on Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: commercial link removed as per forum rules
Cherie71
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby ScapeGoatChild » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:46 pm

My son was HORRIBLY bullied in school and we tried EVERYTHING. ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING.
Nothing changed in public school. I went to teachers, the counselor, the principal and they were all full of patronizing phony "ease speak" #######4.
I told them why don't they try PUNISHING THE BULLIES?!?! Huh maybe that would work?!
Maybe if teachers, staff etc. stopped allowing "kids will be kids" <- no, some kids will be BULLIES IF YOU LET THEM! If they actually punished kids for abusing teasing hitting throwing crap at others I guarantee it would stop.
By the time my son was in third grade he was THE target for EVERY bully in the school.
What happens is - a couple bullies start picking on a kid
Other kids join in bullying the victim so THEY don't become victims
Other kids will shun the victim and stay away so THEY don't become victims
Eventually the victim kid is then BLAMED BY STAFF for the negative attention generated towards him by others. The teachers don't want to deal with it so when there is any kind of scuffle and they get to the bottom of the pile and find victim kid they send HIM to the office.
The Bullying was allowed to grow out of proportion to the point where my child was a target from the time he got on the bus until the time he got off the bus. I went to the Superintendent of schools to ask him why he allows children to be bullied in his schools and what about that so called "zero tolerance policy?!" I told him about my interactions with teachers and staff who roller their eyes at me and actually encouraged the bullying because they didn't like my now "problem child".
BIG MISTAKE. The Superintendent apparently reported my complaint to the principal and then they really cranked up the heat. My son was pulled from class to go play "puppets" with the school counselor who instructed him to say to his bullies "please don't say mean things to me it hurts my feelings". PABLUM!!! The next thing they did was make MY SON go sit in the office at recess because he was always being attacked by the others.
In other words - Now my son was being bullied by EVERYONE in the school!!
I pulled him from public school and enrolled him in catholic school. Guess what? PROBLEM SOLVED. The kids there were PUNISHED if they were mean and abusive or nasty or hurtful to someone and NOBODY wanted to have to go to Mrs. Bates (63 yr old petite little lady) office.
My son's grade improved, he made friends, he actually started to like going to school.
I had to go clean a few houses at night and drive to Chicago and work a 10 hour day cleaning for a rich family in order to pay the tuition but it was worth it and I wish I had done it sooner.
i am all for SCHOOL VOUCHERS. Quit taxing people to pay for public school which has become a pathetic farce of a wasteland as far as education and learning to be civilized citizens.
ScapeGoatChild
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby LittleHallucynation » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:33 pm

What to do when you're a teacher and one of the children is being bullied? Put the bully in treatment. :evil:
Dx: schizophrenia, borderline personality disorder, dependent personality disorder
LittleHallucynation
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:35 pm

Postby Olive227 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:00 pm

It really sucks when you are being bullied. You are just so clueless of what you have done to be bullied so cruelly. It is really hard to think straight.

I don't know what's the purpose behind being a bully. It's clearly out of my sight. To be honest, I find it funny, how someone could find pleasure in tormenting others. Obviously they don't know how it feels. Or they don't want to.
Olive227
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:05 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

PreviousNext

Return to Bullying Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post