Our partner

Sharp Pains

Bulimia Nervosa message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: gratteciel

Sharp Pains

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:37 pm

Hi, I'm just curious whether this is a result of bulimia or whether it's something completely unrelated. I have been getting sharp pains inside the lower part of my rib cage when I drink (alcohol) for a year or so. Last night I had the pain and again today, I wasn't doing or drinking anything at the times, infact I think I was just watching TV last night. Also when I purged today I got a pain just below the center of my breasts. I've had this pain before but it's not a regular thing. As I said I was just wondering if this is related or something seperate :?

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby jenniferc » Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:54 pm

i get sharp pains there sometimes also ...... usually they are more toward the left side of my chest though
jenniferc
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:25 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Mia Culpe » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:44 pm

I have noticed this also... does anyone know what it is from?
Mia Culpe
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Chucky » Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:41 pm

Hey,

The abdomen is full of the majority of our organs. The ones I suspect are your liver and stomach.

If it is the liver it might have become damaged due to alcohol. Alcohol is a toxin and one of the liver's roles is to neutralise (Break-up) toxins. How long have you been purging by vomitting for? Perhaps your liver became weak from purging and is now struggling to cope with the alcohol intake.

However, I most suspect it to be a problem with your stomach. You might have developed an ulcer there and thus need medication. The condition most likely is Gastritis. To further add weight to the issue: Our stomachs lie to the left of our chests, near the base of the rib-cage.
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby jenniferc » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:06 pm

Thats where I always get bad pains ..... the left side right under my ribs .... I was having REALLY bad ones last night ...... do you think it is something serious I should get checked out? I get these pains ALL the time lately, sometimes it's really uncomfortable where i have to go lay down and rest, and other times its not so bad i can deal with it ....... i've seen doctors before about my bulimia, but they never really brought up anything about my stomach, any time they pressed on my stomach and asked if it hurt, it never hurt at that specific moment lol i just started getting the pains recently w/ in the last 3 - 4 weeks ...... i have been purging a lot less though, but for some reason when i DO purge, it effects me afterwards A LOT more, I get all these weird pains ....
jenniferc
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Chucky » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:51 pm

Yes, I believe that you should see a doctor (And rather soon). I have a condition called Ulcerative Colitis which means that my large intestine becomes inflamed at times. When it does I get sharp pains too. They become so sharp that I need to slouch, or lie down just like you have to.

So, my thoughts are that your stomach is inflamed near the Cardiac sphincter muscle. That is at the top of the stomach where food enters it. You see, when you purge, the acid from the stomach is able to affect that area. If you didn't purge the acid wouldn't make it up that far. Do you get me?

*hug*
Kevster
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:26 am

Thanks... but the thing is it's still in my rib cage, like just where the gap begins. I had excruciating stomach pains last night, but this is in a completely different spot and usually arises in response to alcohol. (Don't worry the stomach pains were a response to some medication I was put on for a completely unrelated thing). But as I said, thanks for your imput :)

Postby Chucky » Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:18 am

No problem my friend. Don't let things like this linger too long though. I had sharp pains in my lower abdomen for about half a year before telling somebody about it. It turned out that it was actually my Ulcerative Colitis causing the pain (I never knew I had Ulcerative Colitis before that time). Essentially, my entire Large Intestine was "red raw" and if I had left it much longer I could have died.
Last edited by Chucky on Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby dee80 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:56 pm

This is so weird...I just joined this forum to post about the same kind of problem...please can somebody clarify the replies for me?

Like the first poster I get a pain in my left hand side under my rib cage when I begin to drink alcohol...it is really bad. I also suffer with REALLY bad hangovers. Do I need to go to the doctor's?

I have been bulimic for 9 years and it is really destroying my life :(
dee80
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Chucky » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:27 pm

Where exactly are your pains?
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6