Our partner

Turning Off Emotions

Borderline Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: lilyfairy

Turning Off Emotions

Postby justjesse » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:08 pm

I was wondering, do any of you turn off your emotions? It's like I can just do it, without much effort. Completely numbing myself on the inside at the drop of a hat. Maybe it's a defense mechanism? I'm not sure. Was just wondering if anyone could relate.

Feedback / opinions would be appreciated.

- Jesse
"Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher storm, but to add color to my sunset sky."

Dx: Bipolar Disorder with Psychotic Features
Borderline Personality Disorder
Social Anxiety Disorder
justjesse
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:22 pm
Blog: View Blog (2)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Turning Off Emotions*trigger*

Postby Tripleshine » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:19 pm

I've found that turning off my emotions is what I try to do when I'm not feeling well. That's usually what's leading me to self-harm.

When I'm feeling healthier I try to be mindful of the emotion (observe it non-critically) and deal with expressing it in a healthier way.

In the past my all-or-nothing thinking would kick in: Since the emotions were so intense I would try to shut them off thinking that there was no middle ground--middle ground where I can still feel the emotion but not let it overwhelm me.

In essence, since I was turning off the negative emotions I risked shutting out the positive emotions....as well as whatever I could have learned from those "negative" emotions about the situation and myself. I was in effect stunting my emotional growth.

Hope this gives you some perspective...
Tripleshine
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Turning Off Emotions

Postby Svion » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:29 pm

My therapist tells me I'm an expert on shutting off. That it's pretty much what I've been doing for the whole of my life and makes the emotions implode once they do appear, creating a big blatant bowl of nothing walking into nothing. I doubt it's built on commando though.
There is no such thing as moral justification. Guilty until proven not human.
Svion
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:22 am

Postby van4ssa » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:31 am

Wow, I wish I could do that. I'm pretty much just over emotional about everything!

The only times I can "kind of" control my negative emotions is if I am distracted by
something funny, then I laugh and instantly forget my anger. The other time is when I'm
extremely distressed, then I disassociate. It just happens, I drift into this dream-like
state, pupils dilate, I'm high as a kite, I love when that happens...
van4ssa
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:22 pm

Postby walkingcontradiction » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:11 am

I can do that to a point when i feel like I'm about to get left. I can shut down convince myself it doesn't matter I'm better off without the person and just be completely ready to run away and honestly not feel a d@mn thing. My therapist says its a defense mechanism so i don't get hurt. I can tell myself i don't care and walk away but i always know later on I'm gonna regret it so even though i don't feel anything i tell myself i do or i will again. Its like logically i know i feel even though emotionally i feel nothing just numb. Sometimes i just get in those moods too where i just don't care or feel anything i usually get snippy and cranky with others too and laugh it off. I do thing's trying to feel too like drama scenes or other thing's just so i know i do actually care. It has caused me to lose relationships which is why i try not to act on it like i used to.
walkingcontradiction
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:22 pm

Postby rainbow_sprinkles » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:08 am

wow I'm jealous. I wish I could control my emotions. though I probably wouldn't be nearly as bpd as I am if I could, haha
rainbow_sprinkles
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:22 pm

Postby gratteciel » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:43 pm

I shut off my emotions about certain things. If I feel I'm about to be left, I go nuts. If I feel I've already been nuts, I go numb and force myself not to care. That was my only survival method while I lived with my parents. It's also what drove me to cutting.
"Scar tissue has no character. It doesn't show age or illness or pallor or tan. It has no pores, no hair, no wrinkles. It's like a slipcover. It shields and disguises what's beneath. That's why we grow it; we have something to hide."

Dx: Bipolar, type II
Rx: Lamictal, 100 mg; Lithium, 1350 mg
gratteciel
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:22 pm

Postby Casper » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:07 pm

Like Rainbow and Van4ssa, I wish I could. I'd give up most anything to do that (yes, even my left nut). Try as I might, I just can't; it is always there, right up front and in charge.
Sorry that I ruin everything.
I don't do it on purpose.
Casper

Postby thebetterhalf » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:37 am

i do my best to keep my emotions turned off at work. before and after work i pretty much be myself.
Caution, dyslexic writer ahead.
Spell check please
thebetterhalf
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:22 pm

Postby Alexander the Great » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:30 am

JohnnyBlaze wrote:Like Rainbow and Van4ssa, I wish I could. I'd give up most anything to do that (yes, even my left nut). Try as I might, I just can't; it is always there, right up front and in charge.

Same here. I have a very hard time keeping them in check as well.
Always the years between us, Leonard. Always the years, always the love, always the hours.

Previously Alexander1507.
Alexander the Great
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:22 am
Blog: View Blog (2)

Next

Return to Borderline Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post