Our partner

Borderline Movies

Borderline Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: lilyfairy

Re: Borderline Movies

Postby slavichottie » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:33 pm

ajr8 wrote: As for Girl, Interrupted, Susanna was not borderline at all, she didn't have any mental illnesses, that's the whole point of the movie. She was perfectly mentally healthy but she was having a hard time because of her age and her time period she grew up in.

Considering I've read the book and in there it's stated explicitly on numerous occasions that Susannah Kaysen was diagnosed with BPD, I have to disagree with you. I don't think the movie is about her growing up at all - she merely coming to grips with her illness.

Does anyone know that the girl with the burned face in Girl Interrupted is Elisabeth Moss from Mad Men and the movie "Get Him to the Greek?" Lots of great actresses in that movie, Moss, Jolie, Ryder and Brittany Murphy.
BPD Male, 46
slavichottie
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:59 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Triratna » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:59 am

Borderline and fatal attraction shows a helluva prospect of BPD. :|
I sometimes acted like that, it scares me. But enough is enough.
Triratna
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:59 pm

Postby ava1enzue1a » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:54 am

Bump.

About Fatal Attraction, not helpful at all when it comes to reducing the ignorance and stigma surrounding BPD. Young Adult with Charlize Theron is so much better. Similar storyline but a lot less dramatic and more fitting for prototypical BPD representation.

About Black Swan, I've read many people believe Natalie Portman's character leans towards a schizophrenic representation because of her hallucinatory states and delusional tendencies. But a lot of people forget that BPD criterion #9..

Transient, stress-related paranoid ideation or severe dissociative symptoms.

..could probably help explain Nina's intermittent breaks from reality.

Personal faves for possible BPD representations...

• The aforementioned Black Swan and Young Adult,
Forrest Gump (the character of Jenny),
Thirteen (Tracey),
Prozac Nation (Elizabeth),
Silver Linings Playbook (Tiffany).

I personally prefer movies that don't feed into the negativity and stigma of BPD, but rather movies with possible borderlines the viewer could potentially sympathize with and understand, not condemn. (Potential mild movie spoilers below)

For example in Forrest Gump we see Jenny's early childhood traumas as potential causes for her later life struggles where even then she maintains a non-malicious character. Even if the clues aren't so obvious, like in the movie Thirteen, we understand Tracey's mother saying she didn't raise her to be that way (possible BPD behavior), however there are clues such as intense peer pressure at the school environment. In Black Swan, it could be understood that Nina is striving for perfection, putting a lot of pressure on herself and not merely a girl with emotional/mental breakdowns for seemingly no apparent reasons. In Prozac Nation we see Elizabeth at least trying to acquire a good life (like going to Harvard) despite her breakdowns. As for Silver Linings Playbook, well.. it stars Jennifer Lawrence; how could we not admire the character performed by her in the movie? :wink:
"Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly." Neil Gaiman
ava1enzue1a
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Symbol of Life » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:25 pm

Yesterday I bought Girl, Interrupted on kindle, I've wanted to read that book for ages but it was only available on paperback and with the shipping and all it was too expensive. I started reading it recently so I don't know the differences with the movie. I saw the film when it came out and I didn't have any diagnosis and then recently and I did identify with Sussana at some point, although I have a lot more anger than her, but It's internal anger mostly. I didn't identify at all with Lisa, I well I don't know any other borderlines in real life so I don't know if I'm atipycal or more introverted but I wouldn't push someone into suicide I guess.
Prev. dx Schizoaffective disorder, BPD, Bipolar 2 Current dx Back to bipolar with psychosis, Cluster B personality disorder
Aripiprazole 20 mg, Risperidone 3mg, Wellbutrin XL 175 mg, Clonazepam 0,25 mg prn, lamotrigine 200 mg, pregabalin 75 mg, quetiapine 50 mg as a spleep aid
Symbol of Life
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:59 am

Postby saudade7 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:57 pm

I didn't really relate to either of them, but I do think Susanna was really just depressed and it was Lisa who had BPD, even if it's only that way in the movie.

The movie was obviously a feminist film depicting how biased people were, especially during that time. At the beginning, the doctor who diagnosis Susanna tells her family it's often genetic and usually present in young women, after which Susanna's mother feels insulted. Daisy's father is allegedly taking advantage of her, which Lisa points out. This may seem like it was a ploy to cause Daisy to kill herself, but as Lisa says towards the end--she always tells the truth. Lisa hides her femininity and gets excited about being called a sociopath because it's usually diagnosed in men. And in a sense, she is "antisocial" because she rebels against the misogynist society she lives in, while Susanna, the "borderline" lets other people dictate her identity to her instead of going against the grain. It isn't until the end that we see some real conviction from her.

There's also a part in the movie where I believe JFK(?) is on the TV and is being glorified. I thought this was funny since he is infamous for taking advantage of Marilyn Monroe, who was possibly borderline, and cheating on his wife. So that further emphasized the disrespect of women during the time period.
saudade7
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby jumpingjellybean » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:47 pm

In girl interrupted winonas character was diagnosed as borderline, and it is based on a true story. Just read the book, girl, interrupted.
jumpingjellybean
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Xorcist84 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:57 pm

Film and TV characters with personality disorders

Fatal Attraction - Alex Forrest is BPD

Basic Instinct - Catherine Tramell is NPD

Truth (2013) - starring Sean Paul Lockhart who plays Caleb is BPD

Downfall - Adolf Hitler was a real life BPD (according to virtually all psychoanalysts and historians)

Cruel Intentions - Kathryn Merteuil is BPD (also has bulimia and drug addiction)

Mommie Dearest - Joan Crawford is BPD

Original Sin - Julia/Bonny Castle is BPD

Dahmer - Jeffrey Dahmer was a real life BPD

Monster - Aileen Wuornos was a real life BPD w/ sociopathic features

Fear - David McCall is BPD w/ sociopath features

Taxi Driver - Travis Bickle has Schizotypal personality disorder

Misery - Anne Wilkes is a borderline personality disorder with schizoid, schizotypal, and obsessive-compulsive traits (forensic psychologist Dr. Reid Meloy said that Wilkes' personality (as portrayed by Kathy Bates) is a virtual catalog of mental illness. According to Meloy, Wilkes suffers from bipolar disorder, borderline personality disorder with schizoid, schizotypal, and obsessive–compulsive and sadomasochistic features. He also believes her profile is typical of people who stalk celebrities.)

American Psycho - Patrick Bateman has BPD w/ schizotypal features (based on a real PhD psychologist evaluation of him)

Star Wars - Darth Vader is BPD (Darth Vader's iconic status has made the character a synonym for evil in popular culture; psychiatrists have even considered him as a useful example to explain borderline personality disorder to medical students.)

The Crush - Adrian Forrester is BPD

A Clockwork Orange - Alex has antisocial personality disorder

Seven - John Doe is co-morbid antisocial personality and borderline personality

Misery - Annie Wilkes has borderline personality disorder w/ schizoid, schizotypal, and obsessive-compulsive features (forensic psychologist Dr. Reid Meloy said that Wilkes' personality (as portrayed by Kathy Bates) is a virtual catalog of mental illness. According to Meloy, Wilkes suffers from bipolar disorder, borderline personality disorder with schizoid, schizotypal, and obsessive–compulsive and sadomasochistic features. He also believes her profile is typical of people who stalk celebrities.)

The Good Son - Henry Evans has been described as a Cluster B psychopath with co-morbid narcissistic, antisocial, and borderline personality disorders and displays sadistic traits.

Halloween - Michael Myers is co-morbid antisocial and schizoid personality disorders

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Nurse Ratched has BPD w/ obsessive-compulsive and sadistic traits

Dexter - Dexter Morgan has Schizoid personality disorder (according to a real life psychiatric evaluation of the character)

South Park - Eric Cartman is a Cluster B psychopath with co-morbid narcissistic, antisocial, and borderline personality disorders (a psychologist described Cartman as "He's a fat, racist, self-centered, intolerant, manipulating psychopath with narcissistic, antisocial, and borderline personality disorders."

Game of Thrones - Joffrey Baratheon is a Cluster B psychopath with co-morbid narcissistic, antisocial and borderline personality disorders.

Breaking Bad - Walter White has BPD w/ narcissistic features (according to an online psychologist)

Days of our Lives (soap opera) - Kristen DiMera is a BPD
Xorcist84
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Camelidae » Sun May 18, 2014 9:08 am

Türkisch für Anfänger (meaning Turkish for beginners), a German TV series and film, is about a German-Turkish "patchwork family" and its members struggles to understand and live with each other. Throughout the entire series, Lena (the female protagonist) tries to fit in and to get others to like her, like her more, and, very often, like her again. She is extreme in her thoughts, actions and opinions, often leaving out a middleground and viewing others in stereotypes, acts impulsively, has a great need for control, being in the right and being independent, and is almost obsessively in love with her older step-brother (whom she tests and tries to win over again and again during their on/off relationship). Although technically Lena's mood swings, insecurity, angry outbursts and at times immature decisions could be attributed to puberty in the first two seasons, she remains just as volatile and intense in the last season and film in which she is no longer a teen.

Having BPD and having been through the "new boyfriend of mom, trouble with real dad", I could relate to Lena very strongly. What I enjoy about the show/film is that it is comedy, not drama (as it could have been). You'd think Lena's unrealistically intense (as part of the comedy genre, as are the other characters), but I really don't feel like she's exaggerating much. I'm like that and I'm not exaggerating anyway lol.

Not sure if there's an English dub/sub available though.
"If you're using half your concentration to look normal, then you're only half paying attention to whatever else you do. Just pointing out something that could save your life. You want society to accept you, but you can't even accept yourself.", from X-Men: First Class
Camelidae
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:59 pm

Postby Rigning » Sun May 18, 2014 10:27 am

Fight Club
The Narrator (Edward Norton) and Tyler Durden (Brad Pitt) show the different aspects of BPD in males. The fighting is not an not an underlying interest, but suppressed aggression. The love and hate relationship with Marla (disguised as dissociative identity disorder). The need for a maternal figure (disguised as dissociative identity disorder). The destructive spiraling out of control. The continuous remarks/mocking of society, norms, and hierarchy.

The author (Chuck Palahniuk) probably has BPD to be able to describe it so realistically in art form. And it's interesting how he's so embarrassed about the love/hate thing with Marla, and embarrassed about his need for a maternal figure, that he disguises it at something else to keep us from knowing how sensitive/vulnerable he is about it.
Rigning
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:59 pm

Postby TheProzacNationGuy » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:47 pm

Hi, I found this topic trying looking on Google for movies about BPD.

I watched SHAME and PROZAC NATION, both recommended on this forum, and I really liked both of them, specially the second one, maybe because it was more focused on BPD as the main character (Christina Ricci) has it and well, that's the whole point of the movie. SHAME was much better movie, but less focused on BPD.

I just want it to say that Christina Ricci's character was more of a bipolar than borderline personality disorder, don't you think? Maybe she just had both?

Could you recommend me any other movie more focused on BPD, like this one? Also it would be good if it is about a guy, most of the movies mentioned here are about female characters, but I don't mind if it's about a girl like PROZAC NATION, I found it really interesting.

Thanks a lot.
TheProzacNationGuy
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:59 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Borderline Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post