Our partner

Here's an odd one - Misophonia? Post may cause anxiety

Borderline Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Casper

Here's an odd one - Misophonia? Post may cause anxiety

Postby FloMac » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:45 am

Does anyone else here have any variation of noise anxiety? There are a few manifestations, but the one I think I suffer from (have suffered from most of my life) is misophonia.

Sometimes (not always, but when I am already tired or agitated) I feel like I can hear every single little noise around me.

Example:

I was in the living room watching TV, the show was really annoying. I was journaling and brought up some topics that were really depressing, etc. Next thing I know I started hearing a bunch of different noises around me: my son chewing, my other son shaking candy out of a box, my daughter typing, the crowd cheering on my son's video game, the fan in the kitchen, the sound of a ball bouncing outside, my husband biting his nails, someone sniffed, the door to the bathroom closed, the noise noise noise noise ... I felt like I had to make a louder noise, so I slammed my coffee cup on the table - of course, that drew a bunch of looks like, "What the HELL was that about?" I freaked. I felt like my heart was going to burst out of my chest if I didn't take action.

I stomped up the stairs, slammed the hallway door, slammed the bedroom door and shut myself off for like 10 minutes. I think the noise of the chewing set me off. My dad used to freak out at us when we were having dinner if we ate too loud or "smacked" our food. Whistling gets at me too. Again - Dad - he used to whistle eerily peaceful tunes before he would act out abusively.

Anyway, I was sitting upstairs in the dark, quiet room and thought ... I have to post this on the forum.

I feel a little better now, but this happens to me a lot. I wonder if it is a BPD thing, or just a FloMac thing.
Maybe we have to break everything to make something better out of ourselves. - Chuck Palahniuk
FloMac
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:21 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Here's an odd one - Misophonia? Post may cause anxiety

Postby thebetterhalf » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:56 am

Noises drive me crazy. It seems like when im at home, every noise my wife makes is loud, especially the sudden noises like cabint doors closeing and when she drops things. I feel like my mind is being assalted with noise. On top of that i've had ringing in my ears for over 30 years and it never stops. On top of that my own thoughts never shut off. As im typing this i hear the cars outside, my niehbhors kids, a dog , more kids, another dog, the wind, the birds. It drives me nuts.
Sudden noise really get to me. Its like my minds trying to register all the audio input and it sets me off. i though i was the only one who hears like you do
Caution, dyslexic writer ahead.
Spell check please
thebetterhalf
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:21 pm

Postby FloMac » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:00 am

the other me, you have tinnitus?

Read this:

Prevalence and comorbidity

The prevalence of misophonia is currently unknown but groups of people identifying with the condition suggest it is more common than previously recognized.[9] Among patients with tinnitus, which is prevalent in 4-5% of the general population,[10] some surveys report prevalence as high as 60%[9] while prevalence in a 2010 study was measured at 10%.[11] from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misophonia

Do you feel like you're only sometimes sensitive to noise? Like when you're already upset or agitated? I know that these little noises don't ALWAYS bother me, but they frequently do. I am also frequently upset or agitated.

Always looking for patterns (because if you find a pattern, you can break it).
Maybe we have to break everything to make something better out of ourselves. - Chuck Palahniuk
FloMac
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby scorchedfatale » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:21 am

Loud noises and unexpected noises horrify me.
I don't know how many times some loud noise has happened and I've like jumped out of my skin and people laugh at me.
Motorcyles are the worst... I have a brief anxiety attack while they pass by...
I'm also very sensitive to high pitched noises.. Living in the city is dreadful because of the high pitch screech of #######5 breaks- it's excruciating.
Borderline Personality Disorder, Impulse Control Disorder, Dysthymia, ADHD, Social Phobia, & Generalized Anxiety Disorder
scorchedfatale
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:21 pm

Postby FloMac » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:01 am

The weird thing is - some noises annoy me so much, but I love loud noises. I love loud planes, motorcycles, and music - especially music. My husband swears I'm going to make our kids deaf, because I have to have the music blasting in the car; I can sit for hours with music blasting on my headphones - at the ultimate highest volume ... it is exhilarating!
FloMac
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby wineaux » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:34 am

I can't stand noise unless I initiate it. I can't even drive on the freeway if there's traffic with the music on because of the anxiety. Concerts bother me unless it's someone I want to see. I hate large crowds, the noise amplifies it. If I have to hear people eat, I will get up and leave the room because it will spark my anger and irritate me.

Rant over. Carry on! :wink:

Dx: PDNOS, ADHD, MDD, ED (recovering)

i'm in your threadz, moddin' your postsImage
wineaux
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby thebetterhalf » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:55 am

[quote="FloMac"]the other me, you have tinnitus?

Do you feel like you're only sometimes sensitive to noise? Like when you're already upset or agitated? I know that these little noises don't ALWAYS bother me, but they frequently do. I am also frequently upset or agitated.

Dont know what my ringing is never had it checked out, but its in the center of my head, like stereo. I have to get it checked since its getting worse;

Im always on edge about noise. Like with you the noises dont always bother me but, it does more than it should ever. example. wife was taking a nap. I heard her yawn when she woke up, my sudden thought was . Great now shes up and going to want to talk to me. Its not that she would talk to me but i would have to her her voice. Fuc-- crazy. Its like instant irratablilty. Someone else here post that if he or she makes the noises it ok, but not from other sources. I dont have to be upset or irritable, noise is like an assalt on my mind. I 'm tired of listening to myself talk to myself even. Thankful my seroquel knocks me out at night. I even have to sleep with a fan at night so i dont have any other noises disturb what sleep i get. The fan covers noises but is a soothing noise to me. Thats another story.

]
Caution, dyslexic writer ahead.
Spell check please
thebetterhalf
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:21 pm

Postby FloMac » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:05 am

I'm coming to a theory (hypothesis, whatever) that a lot of this stuff has to do with certain noises triggering feelings.

And yeah - I have to sleep with a fan on or else all I hear is the buzzing - whether that is random white noise or my own head, I haven't ever discovered, but it is definitely something I am aware of.

I'd like to try floating. You sit in hundreds of pounds of sea salt in a desensitization chamber. I wonder what crazy thoughts would come to my head then, though.
FloMac
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby katana » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:57 am

I find noises/intrusion from others uncomfortable/upsetting at times when I feel stressed, dissociative, physically crap/low on salt, & depressed. At those times I just want everything to disappear and get really pissed off and unhappy if other people make loud noises or say anything at all to me or come anywhere near me. lol

Rest of the time loud noises don't bother me at all.
katana
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:21 pm
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby flowingtears » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:19 pm

Sometimes noise really irritates me. There are some occasions when things like the sound of the heating, the cats playing, the birds outside, even the sound of my own heartbeat when I lie down, all make me want to scream.
I am not the sort of person who likes to have noise in the background. If I'm online, I rarely have music playing or the tv on. I can't have music playing and have a proper conversation at the same time. If I go to appointments and people are talking in the waiting room, it makes me anxious as hell.
When I was in hospital, there was another patient who used to have her radio playing 24/7. She'd even leave it on at night - at a low volume, but loud enough for me to hear. I had several arguments over it, occasionally even walking over and turning off her radio myself if she refused.
~The Official Crazy Cat Lady
flowingtears
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:21 am
Blog: View Blog (34)

Next

Return to Borderline Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post