Our partner

DLA Anyone??

Borderline Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: lilyfairy

DLA Anyone??

Postby demitria78 » Tue May 08, 2012 12:38 pm

Hi people.

I am in the UK and was just wondering about DLA (Disability Living Allowance) Do any of you receive it for your BPD/ Mental health conditions?

I have been advised to claim for this but was wondering first if anyone else has had experience with it.

I have a psychiatrist, on meds and have been dx for over a year now but had bd for 17 years. I am also back into psychotherapy.

Thanks people x x :D
And I still wonder why our heaven has died.
The skys are all falling, I'm breathing, but why?
demitria78
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:51 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: DLA Anyone??

Postby MissAli » Tue May 08, 2012 1:40 pm

D-

I'm really glad that you're looking into the DLA. As I am in the USA, I don't have a lot of information or experience to give you, but at the same time - I'm really hoping some of our UK members can offer some advice.

My best to you!!!

<3

AMP
Knowing other people is intelligence, knowing yourself is wisdom.

Mastering other people is strength, mastering yourself is power.

If you realize that what you have is enough, you will be rich, truly rich.

~Tao

The Rulez: http://www.psychforums.com/forum-rules.php
MissAli
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:51 pm

Postby Casper » Tue May 08, 2012 4:51 pm

Like Ali, I'm on the wrong side of the Pond to give any direct advice, but my recommendation would be to talk to your psychiatrist. I'm sure he/she has been through the process with other patients before. Who would know the system better?
Sorry that I ruin everything.
I don't do it on purpose.
Casper
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:51 pm

Postby zippy43 » Wed May 09, 2012 12:22 am

Hi
I have BPD and depression and get DLA and have no physical issues. I know many people who get DLA for mental health issues so yes you can get it for mental health.

There are 2 components. Care and Mobility.

For Care there are 3 levels - low, middle and high
for mobility there are 2 levels - low and high.

I get middle rate care but I do not get mobility although I know people who do.

The forms are long and mainly relate to physical needs but there are parts to do with mental health. It is best to fill out the forms as if it was your worst possible day and is best to get the forms checked by someone in the know. I used the Citizens Advice Bureau.

Telephone number for DLA is 08457 123456

Hope you found this useful.
zippy43
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby demitria78 » Wed May 09, 2012 8:40 am

Hi guys,

Many thanks for your replies.. :D

Zippy.. I applied for dls before a while ago for my depression and bpd and was turned down. Although I filled out the form very well I believe I didn't stress matters enough. I will try again.

Many thanks hun x x
demitria78
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Postby deethebee » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:46 pm

Hi Demetria,

I know this is a late reply but I have applied for DLA. At first I was turned down and then I wrote an angry letter to them. They reconsidered and I'm now on the lowest rate - only £20 a week, but it's still something.

If you're still wanting info I'm happy to tell you what happened with me.
deethebee
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby demitria78 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:47 am

Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies. I did actually apply for this last year and turned down. This time I put a lot more detail and i too will write an extremly angry letter to them if this be the case. They actually rang me yesterday for data protection reasons. Because I applied online they wanted to make sure they were speaking with the actual applicant. He said a decision will be made today/tomorrow and will write by next week.

We shall see. Like you said, even if it's £20 a week it is something.

x x x
demitria78
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Postby sidlib » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:23 pm

It really all depends on how it affects your day to day living, how severe it is. You dont really get DLA for specific things, just really how bad it affects you and what help you need.

Not all people with BPD act the same.
sidlib
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby maybewhoknows » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:40 pm

Hey :)

I currently get the highest level of care DLA and lowest of mobility and I got this when my diagnosis was depression and anxiety, obviously since then I have been diagnosed with BPD so I guess I am going to have to get in touch with them and let them know about the changes and see what they will do about it, I'm worried about this because I rely on that money now but I also don't want to be caught up in any trouble by not telling them the changes.

I had to apply twice for DLA the first time I got knocked back even after an appeal but the second time I wrote the form as if it was the worst possible day (baring in mind I had recently been in hospital for 3 days for a serious O/D)

Go for it with the form and give them as much information as possible! Good luck :)
Borderline Personality Disorder with a pinch of Paranoid, a sprinkle of Avoidant and a dash of Schizotypal - But what do they know?

'I myself, am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.'
maybewhoknows
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby missehffs » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:52 am

Hi There, I'm in the UK currently claiming ESA and DLA for Anxiety, Depression and BPD.

The first time I applied, I was knocked back, but got through with an appeal. They took weeks to decide even with my consultants findings, I called them back with my BF on the phone explaining how my day to day struggles effect me. How many times I've been in Crisis and when.

I was awarded Highest Care and Low Mobility. They generally knock everyone back the first time they apply for DLA and accept appeals, I actually told them to refer to their own website regarding personality disorders and I distinguished myself as "moderate Functionality" take a look at their website and refer them to it if needed. http://www.dwp.gov.uk/publications/spec ... ility/#mod

Hope this helps M x
missehffs
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Borderline Personality Disorder Forum