Our partner

Gluten Free

Borderline Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: lilyfairy

Gluten Free

Postby Celtic Rose » Fri May 20, 2011 2:59 am

Is anyone here with BPD in gluten free diet? If so, have you noticed any difference?
Celtic Rose
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:48 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Gluten Free

Postby undenied » Fri May 20, 2011 11:17 am

Celtic Rose wrote:Is anyone here with BPD in gluten free diet? If so, have you noticed any difference?

I'm PDNOS and on a GF diet due to celiacs. And no, unfortunately I have not noticed any difference in my mental functioning. I'd been crossing my fingers, too.

(The diet is excellent for physical health if you do it right, though.)
  • Just because I'm crazy doesn't mean I'm wrong.
  • Please feel free to request citations/sources.
  • Here's my Dx.
  • I really like making lists.
undenied
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:48 pm
Blog: View Blog (7)

Postby Celtic Rose » Fri May 20, 2011 12:53 pm

That's unfortunate. I have been reading a lot about it, and it seems the gluten free diet, along with therapy, of course, seems to help many mental illnesses.
Celtic Rose
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:48 am

Postby EarlGreyDregs » Fri May 20, 2011 3:17 pm

My mom was on a gluten-free diet kick for "curing me" for a long while. Unfortunately, I simply cannot give up bread. :lol:

Now she believes that magnesium pills will help me. I'll give it a shot. I don't disagree that natural cures exist.
EarlGreyDregs
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:48 pm
Blog: View Blog (7)

Postby biitchelectric » Fri May 20, 2011 3:45 pm

I can testify to this.

After reading the astounding evidence on the ability of a gluten-free diet to improve things like depression and bipolar disorder, I began a GF diet 6 months ago.

Not a single ounce of gluten has passed my lips. I was always a healthy eater, so this was not a major struggle.

However -- I have felt no change, mentally. MY BPD and depression are as strong as ever.

I would get into this theory a little more, but I have to run but:

A possible theory to explain this is that it may be that the individuals who experienced improvement of their mental health symptoms were not eating as healthily as they could have been. As the GF diet is drastic, and forces you to cut down/remove processed foods and foods that can be fattening (such as pizza, bread, pastry, etc), could it be that the initiation of the GF diet (healthy by most regards, if a little limiting), is improving their mental issues by proxy?

Could just 'eating better' help your mental illness?

This could be why 6 months of going GF hasn't done a blessed thing.
biitchelectric
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby isoko49 » Fri May 20, 2011 7:08 pm

I don't, personally, believe that gluten free is going to make much difference to your BPD. As has been suggested, simply eating more healthily can boost your immune system, give you more energy etc., so that you feel physically better which then impacts on your mental health feeling a bit better. My pal has just qualified as a nutritionist (she "cured" her severely intolerant/dyspraxic/verbally uncommunicative son with all her supplements and dietary changes so she thinks she can "cure" everyone). She is providing me with some cut price nutrition shakes (I'm trying to diet with SlimFast but she says these are better as they have more nutritients and I can't disagree with that!) and also giving me free milk thistle and flax.....and I'm sure she will find a few more things to add to the mixture. I know my diet is shocking and I would feel better if I ate better.....but I'm on my own and cooking is still a bit of a hassle for me (after 2.5 years in hospital not having to cook...or being able to cook!).

I know in DBT, part of my emotion regulation diary each week is to work on physical health to boost mental health so it's things like staying off alchohol/non prescription drugs, balanced sleeping, balanced diet, regular exercise. I think we all lie.......
Borderline Personality Disorder
Self-harmer and suicidal ideation
Chronic depression
Avoidant PD
Dependent PD
Social and general anxiety disorders
2 and a half years of my life wasted in hospital
2 wonderful children
...and a partridge in a pear tree
isoko49
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:48 pm
Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby lilyfairy » Wed May 25, 2011 11:53 am

I went gluten free about 8 years ago- interestingly it was picked up because my blood tests were out of whack and no antidepressants would work for me- they would get me halfway there and then do nothing more to help, regardless of the doses involved. As soon as we started the GF diet, the next medication we tried worked (and the difference was absolutely amazing!). So it did help my depression. However, I don't know whether it really had any effect on BPD- for me BPD has come later on in the piece but I would say it was probably emerging at that point- the self harm was already there by that time (the medication made the urge to harm dissapear completely), and my ability to handle relationships (even just friendships- the bullying had already been around for about 2 years) was starting to go pear shaped. And by that time, I no longer understood the concept of trust.

So I'd say it helped my depression- definately. BPD?- not quite sure.
"Courage isn't having the strength to go on- it is going on when you don't have the strength." - Napoleon Bonaparte

Forum Rules
lilyfairy
Site Admin

Local time: Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:48 am

Postby miss_taken » Wed May 25, 2011 1:56 pm

MMonroe wrote:My mom was on a gluten-free diet kick for "curing me" for a long while. Unfortunately, I simply cannot give up bread. :lol:

Now she believes that magnesium pills will help me. I'll give it a shot. I don't disagree that natural cures exist.

My mom used to put me on wacky diets and suppliments as a kid, not to cure my progressing mental illness, but because she was always trying fad diets and natural cures. It sucked eating carob and rice cakes when all the other kids had pbj on white... LOL.

Magnesium has done WONDERS for my sleep. I've been taking a suppliment with Magnesium, Zinc and Vitamin B6 at night for the last two weeks or so, and I am FINALLY sleeping through the night. The last three nights I've gotten six solid hours of sleep before waking up. Last night I went to sleep at 11 and didn't wake up until 5 am, and was able to snooze until 6. I can't remember the last time that happened and it wasn't induced by extra 'sleep' meds. I feel like I slept well- not knocked out from meds, but actually rested... I take 100mg of Seroquel every night, which helps me fall asleep but does nothing to keep me asleep. (I've been on Seroquel for 4 years and it seems to help keep my rage down. I don't get angry and psychotic very often anymore- thankfully) I was still waking up at least 4 times, minimum. Insomnia was just becoming a way of life and I was sick of the dr just pushing another pharmaceutical down my throat. . Anyway, I'd heard magnesium was helpful for sleep and relaxation, and that cortisol levels impact the sleep wake cycle severely. (I've read somewhere that many people have bpd have increased cortisol bc of our constant 'flight or fight' that goes off, unlike 'normal' folks...) I'm not sure that it's a bpd cure, like your mom suggests, but if you have sleep issues like me (severe problems for years, I've tried everything) I would say try it!

It's a certain type of magnesium too- not the standard magnesium oxide...
If indeed you must be candid, be candid beautifully.

And could you keep your heart in wonder at the daily miracles of your life, your pain would not seem less wondrous than your joy.

Khalil Gibran
miss_taken
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:48 pm

Postby agirlbyanyothername » Wed May 25, 2011 2:19 pm

Gluten is a protein used to bind the bread together. I think it’s often used in meat substitutes and soy products as well. To be honest, I’m not sure gluten is the culprit. There are people out there who have a legitimate allergy, but that doesn’t mean gluten itself is bad. That would be like saying peanuts are deadly because some people have a deadly allergic reaction.

I’m leaning towards the opinion that when people go on a gluten free diet, they end up avoiding a lot of processed foods and start eating healthier overall. I think it’s that improved diet rather than the elimination of gluten itself that’s improving their mental and physical health.

It's possible that those who have experienced a "cure" from their change in diet may have had a food sensivity and it's turned them to converts. Unfortunately we're not all built the same or have the same food sensitivites, so their digestive religious experience can't be shared by all.
agirlbyanyothername
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Return to Borderline Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post