Our partner

Physical Symptoms of BPD or ???

Borderline Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Casper

Physical Symptoms of BPD or ???

Postby CTandMT » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:52 pm

Are these BPD "physical symptoms" or something else. Anyone experience anything like this?

I have not been diagnosed, but have these awful symptoms when stressed (and I am tremendously stressed right now).
Feels like an anxiety attack, only I have not heard of anyone having these particular symptoms:
- extreme thirst
- burning tongue
- itching
- flushing
- back ache
- constipation (irratable bowel)

What the hell is this? I have been checked for blood sugar, thyroid, vitamins, allergies etc etc

I feel so #######5, anxious and not sure what this all is?

Any feedback would be appreciated...thanks!

PS - I'm on no meds except hormone replacement and acid reflux meds
CTandMT
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:23 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Physical Symptoms of BPD or ???

Postby Pairou » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:06 pm

Your current meds can have some of those effects; also, anxiety is known to produce physical effects too. Flushing is one for sure. I wouldn't say they're BPD turning physical though, not necessarily anyway.
Ĵїбџη Ķάқџмεї

If neurotic is wanting two mutually exclusive things at one and the same time, then I'm neurotic as hell. I'll be flying back and forth between one mutually exclusive thing and another for the rest of my days.

-Sylvia Plath

http://borderline-eden.blogspot.com
Pairou
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:23 pm

Postby Optimistic » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:51 pm

For me. When i get really worked up (upset emotionally on the back end of a rage as logic starts to creep back in) i start to have panic attack symptoms like hyperventilating. This can make me very thirsty. Stress and back and or shoulder pain are very linked as is reflux and IBS. None of that is bpd. Although i think i can safely say i would not have any of that if i did not have bpd.
Optimistic
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:23 am

Postby CTandMT » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:27 am

I guess I need to clarify my question. Has anyone with BPD experienced these symptoms at one time or another, or are they most likely not related or seperate signs of something else. I have other signs or symptoms (emotions totally out of control), but had not heard or read much about physical symptoms associated with it. Even with panic or anxiety attacks, not these exactly.

I am desperately trying to figure it all out. I have had loads of bloodwork an dother tests, but no real medical explanation.

OK thanks for bearing with me. I will have to ask my doctor.

Thanks so much.
CTandMT
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Optimistic » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:36 am

Short answer: No. Have not heard of physical symptoms of bpd.
Optimistic
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:23 am

Postby CTandMT » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:07 am

Really??? OK
CTandMT
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby SYL » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:37 pm

Not BPD per se, but those are anxiety symptoms.

Not sure about constipation though. Stop worrying about it and eat some vegetables and make sure you drink enough water.
SYL
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:23 pm

Postby SmileXx » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:51 pm

Most of your symptoms are not mental illness related...

The back ache and flushing could be symptoms of anxiety and depression, which are common with BPD, but the rest aren't.

I knwo that I have extreme fatigue and body aches that are results of my depression (which I'm not sure are associated with my BPD or not) and that I flush, have a fluttery heart sometimes and my blood pressure raises with my anxiety level... but my BPD never has DIRECTLY caused physical symptoms...

Especially those.
crimsonandclover wrote:Sometimes the greatest source is from within. And accepting whats in there.

veloruia wrote:We all have a bit of Smile in us.

onebravegirl wrote:Shine on and Smile on my beautiful 2D pal.

Da Rulz
SmileXx
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:23 pm
Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby CTandMT » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:27 pm

I found a list of reactions to anxiety and they include:
- acidic metallic bitter taste
- burning mouth and tongue
- dry mouth
- flushing
- itching crawling skin (pruritus, with no rash)
- numbness in extremeties (peripheral neurapathy)
- constipation and or irritable bowel
and more

I have had all these for a few years, daily and getting worse, so maybe it's anxiety, cause I am very anxious, irritable, moody, angry, sad

I have also been tested for everything medically (allergy, uticaria, thyroid, carpal tunnel, autoimmune, etc.) so when I read about idiopathic generalized pruritus and neuropathy...the last condition mentioned is a psychological disorder:
"Patients with pruritus are twice as likely to have a comorbid psychiatric diagnosis as those with other dermatologic diagnoses, according to a large epidemiologic study. The link between pruritus and anxiety was strong and obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) was particularly robust."

Also...
"Psychological conditions such as stress and anxiety also contribute to causes of constant itching. Psychological conditions have a tendency to aggravate itching, which may be results, due to other causes. Itching resulting out of psychological disorders, often makes a person irritable."

Also regarding peripheral neuropathy:
"Various other conditions coexist with peripheral neuropathy and are thought to cause it, but the mechanism is unknown in most cases. Such is the case with many mental diseases like schizophrenia, manic depressive illness, anxiety, etc."

Thought I would share for future reference.

Regarding constipation and irritable bowel, I eat lots of veggies and drink alot of water and also take fiber therapy, but when I am upset or whatever, my gut gets in a knot...and then nothing helps ( I know I need to relax..thanks, I try to remember that next time it happens).

Thanks for all your responses and help!
CTandMT
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby CTandMT » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:33 pm

FYI

Burning Mouth Syndrome
http://www.aafp.org/afp/2002/0215/p615.pdf

and whats interesting is that it can be the result of chronic anxiety and depression and is treted by tricyclic antidepressents, anticonvulsants or benzodiazepeines

Very interesting the connection of many conditions.
CTandMT
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Return to Borderline Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post