Our partner

Do BPD people suffer from rapid cycling?

Borderline Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Casper

Do BPD people suffer from rapid cycling?

Postby Cloud09 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:00 am

Hi everyone. I suspect that BPD people do suffer from rapid cycling but I am not sure. Can someone give me an answer on this? Also, what kind of medications, therapies, and tips do you have for those suffering from rapid cycling?
Cloud09
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:07 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Do BPD people suffer from rapid cycling?

Postby DowntownDC » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:08 pm

No, Cloud, "cycling" and "mood swings" describe gradual changes in body chemistry as occurs with bipolar disorder, which you do not list as one of your issues. With bipolar, four mood changes a year is considered "rapid cycling." In contrast, BPD mood changes can occur within 10 or 15 seconds and typically last 5 to 36 hours. Unlike a "cycle" or "swing," there is nothing wave-like or predictable about BPD mood shifts because they are event-triggered. Hence, the nonBPD partner always feels like he is walking on eggshells, not knowing when the next rage will occur.

Although BPD mood changes are very different from bipolar mood swings, people mistake one for the other quite often. This is probably due, in large part, to the fact that a substantial share of BPDs also suffer from bipolar disorder. If I remember correctly, roughly a third of BPDs also have bipolar disorder.
DowntownDC
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:07 am

Postby NGofCS » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:24 pm

Cloud09 wrote:Hi everyone. I suspect that BPD people do suffer from rapid cycling but I am not sure. Can someone give me an answer on this? Also, what kind of medications, therapies, and tips do you have for those suffering from rapid cycling?

I'm currently taking lamotrigine, which does slow down the mood shifts, although it doesn't eliminate them altogether. Clinically, what I deal with is not rapid cycling. I have experienced several strong mood swings in a 24-hour period. Fortunately, that is rare. It's rough on the mind and body. Anyway, I'd been diagnosed bipolar several years ago, and never felt it fit. Once I found BPD, though, my moods and rapid shifts made more sense. DC is right, bipolar rapid cycling is as many as four a year. Borderline Personality Disorder can have four a week, or even four a day.

As for therapy, none right now. I'm broke and have no insurance. I will be moving back home to stay with my sister a bit, very shortly, and will have more access to cheaper services. There's a med school where I'm moving; students need practice. I have heard, however, that it can be incredibly difficult to find a therapist willing to work with a BPD patient. Apparently, we can be difficult. When I look objectively, it makes sense. We can be quite difficult to crack.
“I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.”
- Galileo Galilei

They call me...Threadkiller!!!
NGofCS
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:07 am

Postby Cloud09 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:24 am

NGofCS wrote:
Cloud09 wrote:Hi everyone. I suspect that BPD people do suffer from rapid cycling but I am not sure. Can someone give me an answer on this? Also, what kind of medications, therapies, and tips do you have for those suffering from rapid cycling?

I'm currently taking lamotrigine, which does slow down the mood shifts, although it doesn't eliminate them altogether. Clinically, what I deal with is not rapid cycling. I have experienced several strong mood swings in a 24-hour period. Fortunately, that is rare. It's rough on the mind and body. Anyway, I'd been diagnosed bipolar several years ago, and never felt it fit. Once I found BPD, though, my moods and rapid shifts made more sense. DC is right, bipolar rapid cycling is as many as four a year. Borderline Personality Disorder can have four a week, or even four a day.

As for therapy, none right now. I'm broke and have no insurance. I will be moving back home to stay with my sister a bit, very shortly, and will have more access to cheaper services. There's a med school where I'm moving; students need practice. I have heard, however, that it can be incredibly difficult to find a therapist willing to work with a BPD patient. Apparently, we can be difficult. When I look objectively, it makes sense. We can be quite difficult to crack.

Oh ok. So Lamotrigine is an option for borderline personality disorder mood shifts? What other medications are an option for the mood shifts? I am going to an appointment with my psychiatrist tomorrow and want to be well prepared for the appointment with knowledge to help him prescribe me something to help with my mood shifts.
Cloud09
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby ChasingSanity » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:50 am

Hi Cloud, I take Tegretol which really slows my instant rage triggers.
ChasingSanity
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:37 pm

Postby girl_interupted » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:41 pm

An anti-psychotic taken in small doses can help stablize rapid mood shifts. For example, drugs like Seroquel or Zyprexa can help. Someone taking Zyprexa as an anti-psychotic will take something like 20mg where someone looking for help to stablize they're moods with no psychotic episodes will take 2.5-5mg. Seroquel is more like 50mg instead of 400-800mg.

Studies have also been done on olanzapine (Zyprexa) and it's effectiveness in helping paitents with BPD. One study's results rated a 60% improvement rate compaired to not taking anything. Although that is not an overwelming percentage, it has been proven mildly effective over other drugs. There still are not any drugs specifically designed to treat BPD. They use drugs that treat specific symptoms with some result.

Drugs are probably not the answer. After taking a cocktail of anti-depressants, anti-psychotics and sedatives, I'm now off drugs and we'll see how that goes.
girl_interupted
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:07 am

Postby Cloud09 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:35 pm

Well, it seems as though my main problem was my anxiety. Or at least that's what my psychiatrist thought after I provided him with a list of my symptoms. So I am now on an anti-anxiety medication and I am feeling much better. :)
Cloud09
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby NGofCS » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:04 am

Cloud09 wrote:Well, it seems as though my main problem was my anxiety. Or at least that's what my psychiatrist thought after I provided him with a list of my symptoms. So I am now on an anti-anxiety medication and I am feeling much better. :)

Oh, good! Glad to hear you have something that's helping. :D
“I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.”
- Galileo Galilei

They call me...Threadkiller!!!
NGofCS
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:07 am

Postby SmileXx » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:19 am

Actually, the rapid mood cycling, as we've decided to call it, is a BPD trait.
When held up next to bipolar, the outward symptoms seem identical.
The difference is that a BPD will "cycle" moods every few hours... Bipolars will go days to months of the same mood.
BPD creates emptiness, and anger, mostly...
Contentment and satisfaction are rare... if at all.

So... technically, yes... it causes cycling... but really it's a lot more complex than all that...
A lot more complex and full of effing issues that will drive someone up the wall trying to decipher on a whim.
crimsonandclover wrote:Sometimes the greatest source is from within. And accepting whats in there.

veloruia wrote:We all have a bit of Smile in us.

onebravegirl wrote:Shine on and Smile on my beautiful 2D pal.

Da Rulz
SmileXx
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:07 am
Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby gurololigirl » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:10 pm

i am on lamictal also and it helps. side effects are icky but better than such the severe moods. even with it i feel like i am walking on eggshells around myself.
‎"I've thought of a wonderful present for you... Shall I give you despair? "---Sephiroth
gurololigirl
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:07 am

Next

Return to Borderline Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post