Our partner

Why do borderlines cut themselves?

Borderline Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Casper

Re: Why do borderlines cut themselves?

Postby DOG » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:50 am

hi,
I agree with air captain- it can be for any reason at all. Some cut as a form of "diary", like when something bad happens they might cut themselves to remember it. Others as a launch pad for change- they are dissapointed that they cannot achive goals ie weightloss, so they cut themselves to mark a change- "from this point on, I will not eat more than my daily allowance" and will remember this and the weight it holds by the scar. And of course there are all the other reasons, and probebly hundreds we havent mentioned- some use S H as a "bargining chip" of sorts, to prove they do have an issue.

CheshireCat, yes, Im coming to terms with being a masocohist myself, allough I don't feel any kind of attraction to S H, so there may or may not be a link.

Hope I helped in some way or another...

DOG
In heaven, everything is fine. In heaven, everything is fine. You've got your good thing, and I've got mine.

In heaven, everything is fine. In heaven, everything is fine. You've got your good thing, and you've got mine.
DOG
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:32 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby dolfin80 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:21 am

delete due to personal reasons...it turns out i was wrongly diagnosed with BPD...i was simply being emotionally abused by my spouse
Last edited by dolfin80 on Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
dolfin80
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby nedesero20 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:56 am

I don't cut anymore. But when I did during my teenage years, it was because it was the only way I was able to take what was on the inside and put it on the outside. I liked seeing the blood. It made me feel powerful, like I was this huge badass who was hardcore enough to take the pain, and everyone else around me (my abusive stepfather, the kids who tormented me at school) - *they* were the weak ones. Not me.

I stopped when I started taking SSRIs. I've gone on and off medications over the years and the desire to cut never returned. It might be my age; I'm now in my early thirties.
nedesero20
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:32 am

Postby jase-e » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:16 pm

nux bqt wrote:I'm not sure if all borderlines cut themselves, so my apologies to you if you feel offended by my generalization.

What I want to know is why the borderlines who cut themselves, cut themselves?

Do they do it in order to replace emotional pain with a more tolerable sensation (physical pain)?

hi am new but i finding cutting myself in some was ease the pain i feel and its like a way of saying sorry to whome every i have let down. but that the way i deal with things... hope that explain a bit for you!
regards jase-e
i am a person like most that finds it hard to turst other just in case i get hurt.
i am a person that dose not like to show love to other just in case i get hurt.
i am also a person that when i get let down or let others done. take out on myself and not others
i am also the loving and careing farther that no body see.
jase-e
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:32 pm

Postby Butterfly Faerie » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:39 pm

Susiex3 wrote:NAH. Let me just get this straight. I have borderline but I don't cut myself at all. Cutting is wrong. I know it's wrong. And btw, why would I want scars on myself? It's just internal emotional pain, cutting doesn't help and is only for losers... WTF is cutting gonna help you do? Your still going to feel pain anyway. Might as well just feel the pain. Cutting yourself is creating more physical and internal pain for youself. SO WTF is up with that? FREAKEN EMOS ...people...
:roll:

Susie, I disagree with self-harming too but please do not categorize members who do freaking emos.
There is a deeper reason for it, and those who do with BPD may feel that you've attacked them which isn't appropriate.

Take care.
Butterfly Faerie
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:32 pm

Postby QuietGirl » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:51 am

Just from my experience with self-harm, it seems like it's a distraction almost. If you're really so overwhelmed with emotions that you just can't deal with, there are too many emotions to keep up with, it's a distraction from all that. It's almost a way of trying to separate what's going on in your mind, the hurt you feel, and putting it into a physical form, getting it out of the mind and wearing it on the body instead. And momentarily it can be effective but in the long run it is a really maladaptive behavior to become accustomed to.
QuietGirl
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Squeekerz » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:14 am

QuietGirl wrote:Just from my experience with self-harm, it seems like it's a distraction almost. If you're really so overwhelmed with emotions that you just can't deal with, there are too many emotions to keep up with, it's a distraction from all that. It's almost a way of trying to separate what's going on in your mind, the hurt you feel, and putting it into a physical form, getting it out of the mind and wearing it on the body instead. And momentarily it can be effective but in the long run it is a really maladaptive behavior to become accustomed to.

I agree completely.

And for the person that ranted about how cutting was emo. . . it CAN be.. if the person is doing it because they think it's "SO cool" and it makes them oh so dark and mysterious, and they want the attention from it. "Look at me, my mom makes me clean my room so I cut myself and cry in the corner."

. . . I apologize that I am bitter about "emo" people, but the fact that the stereotype and fad has made cutting yourself something to make fun of and roll your eyes at..... it severely irks me. . . It makes people who do it for reasons that aren't that shallow seem just as insignificant and forgettable. I mean, should you poke fun at people with alcoholism just because a bunch of college kids strive to get wasted every night 'cause it's funny? I think not.
Borderline Personality Disorder
Social Anxiety Disorder
Major Depressive Disorder
Mood Disorder NOS

~ More fun than a pit of syringes and shards of glass ~
Squeekerz
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:32 am
Blog: View Blog (12)

Postby Leviathan » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:28 pm

I've never self-harmed and I may have this, I will find out for sure in a weeks time.

All I will say is, maybe self-harm is more of a trait of female borderlines (the vast majority are female), male borderlines tend to display fits of rage, like break things or want to fight with other guys, hyper-sexuality etc... I get this when I feel too stressed like I'm gonna crumble.
Leviathan
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:32 pm

Postby dbruning » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:37 pm

One of the major features of Borderline Behavior is self-injury. Somewhat surprisingly for most people the act of cutting the flesh results in euphoria via the release of endorphins which not only prevents the sensation of pain but also anaesthetises the BP against their chronic emotional distress. This is a major cause of self-harming behavior among Borderlines.

http://www.jwoodphd.com/Borderline%20PD.htm

This type of behavior along with recurrent (I think two in 6 months would fit this, sorry thinking about my ex) suicidal threats , gestures, or behavior all fall under criterion 5. Interesting enough, I've read that picking at scabs or wanting some type of harm done can fit too. My ex was always fascinated about her scars from biking and mentioned many times how she would love to get a black eye. She even joked to me about me giving her one so she could have the experience.
OUCH! That knife you stabbed into my heart hurts when you twist it.
dbruning
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:32 am

Postby michel » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:14 pm

nux bqt wrote:I'm not sure if all borderlines cut themselves, so my apologies to you if you feel offended by my generalization.

What I want to know is why the borderlines who cut themselves, cut themselves?

Do they do it in order to replace emotional pain with a more tolerable sensation (physical pain)?

I am going on 61, and I have been cutting since I was 14. My doctor actually commented on the fact that cutting myself where people will not see the cutting is rather clever. First time I may have been clever lol.

With me, the doctor took me down the road to be very "mindful" - part of strategies for coping with BD - and I realise that I self harm to get a "kick" out of it - and endorphin rush. The thing that surprised me the most was that the last two occasions during which I self harmed (I don't think I ought to go into technical details, but it involves toe nails), I noticed that once, I was disappointed by the small amount of blood that came out - and the next time, a little panicky at the fact that I could hardly control the bleeding.

When I was younger, it used to be the soles of my feet, and I can remember - as clearly as if it was yesterday - being at boarding school, having drawn blood on my heels, sitting outside one of the bathrooms, hoping the blood wouldn't stain the carpet. That's the one give away about self harming on feet.

In fact, a couple of months ago, my 31 year old son (wwho has himself been a "self harmer") saw me without anything on my feet, and asked in a horrified tone what was wrong with my big toe nail; I answered the truth instinctively, and he looked both shocked and concerned...........
michel
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Previous

Return to Borderline Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post