Our partner

How do you choose your persona?

Borderline Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: Echinacea, lilyfairy

How do you choose your persona?

Postby SweetSlumber » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:15 pm

For those who have experience with changing masks:

Where do you find the inspiration for your new mask? Do you prefer roleplaying fictional characters, real people, or your own characters? What do you look for in a mask?

My previous mask wore off within a couple of months I think, I'm bad at being consistent. She was a cute, cheery ditzy girl, I forgot who I based her on.

Posting this in aspd/npd/bpd since I think all three use masks in their own way.
"The past is never dead. It is not even past."
Dx: PDNOS
SweetSlumber
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:38 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: How do you choose your persona?

Postby TwinkleStar » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:40 pm

Hi SweetSlumber,
actually I have never heard anything about people with BPD waering a mask the way you describe it, how do you mean it, maybe I misunderstood. I wear a mask like everything is fine for example an as I have heard a lot of people with BPD do this, preting they are fine although they are not, but not the way like playing a chosen character, but maybe I just misunderstood you.
TwinkleStar
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:38 pm

Postby blank » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:55 pm

Everyone wears masks for one reason or another. Even Normals do. I can understand why you might ask this in the different forums, but everyone is different and it's not a particularly unusual thing to do, and I don't necessarily think there will be any typical answers for each category per say. Everyone has their own reasons.
blank
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:38 am

Postby SweetSlumber » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:27 pm

Well, the way I see it, when you interact with people, or even the world in general, you're supposed to have some sort of a personality. Your own goals, beliefs, morality, interests, temperament etc. Without these you would be completely aimless and passive.

If at the present you don't have a clear sense of identity, or your personality is underdeveloped, or your personality is unhelpful, where do you find a personality that you can adopt and that will suit your needs? One that's developed enough to have its own goals etc?
"The past is never dead. It is not even past."
Dx: PDNOS
SweetSlumber
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:38 am

Postby TwinkleStar » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:28 am

Everyone has different proportions of their personality, which some being more prominent in specific situations. I am different at work e.g than I am at home.
When the situation forces me to appear more a way that I am normally not am, I fake it.
But actually I do not choose to be a specific character or similar, just like I guess everyone does (like blank wrote) to maybe behave appropriately, fullfill criteria that you have to fullfill in aspecial situation (job e.g.).
TwinkleStar
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:38 pm

Postby thejan » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:35 pm

I don't "choose" a persona at all, and i am terrible at putting masks on. I always slip.
Sadly,there are requirements from society so that i have to put on masks.
This leads to problems.
Internet forums are not a substitute for professional help,
thejan
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:38 pm

Postby blank » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:13 pm

I'm not sure that I'm really all that different out amongst others than when I am alone. I'm just a lot more closed off around people.

With the exception though of jobs that require human contact, then I perfect a limited script to get me by.

When you only have to deal with customers for 30 seconds at a time, that's all I need. But it's just a script, not a persona.
blank
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby perejil » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:03 am

I don't choose my personas, they choose me. Almost like demonic possession.

I may be the good girl, trying to do the right thing in an ugly world.
I may be the neurotic bitch, wreaking vengeance on those who slight me.
I may be the autist, so focussed on one thing that the rest of the world just melts away.
I may be the self righteous sniper, patting myself on the back while secretly gunning down everyone I meet for one flaw or other.
I may be the performer, desperately needy and starved for approval and attention.
I may be the con artist, cynically sizing up a target.
I may be the sinner, beating myself bloody to atone for my sins.
I may be the hedonist, succumbing to the nearest pleasure.
Etc. You get the idea.

They come and go, seemingly of their own accord. I have no idea how or why.
perejil
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby julllia » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:19 am

i try to adjust to the person i am with in some way. but i thought everyone does that. now i wonder do they? isn't that the social mask everyone is wearing?
i also pretend i am ok. again isn't that something everyone does.
maybe nons adjust too to others but bpd does it in more extreme extent?
julllia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:38 pm

Postby blank » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:21 pm

I finished up the hiring process for my new job today.

And, of course speaking with my manager, I put on a happy face, act outgoing, smile and am interactive.

But inwardly, it is totally insincere. I'm acting to cover up my introversion (and lack of feeling). Appearing otherwise might come across as rude or unfriendly, and that would be very unhelpful to me.

Just mentioning this cause that is the perfect example of wearing a mask, and as I said, everyone does it. In this case I just did it to get me by.

I hate it because it drains me fast, but I do it out of necessity.

And I'm starting to wonder if the extroversion is really just an act all the time, cause I've almost always been this way.

My T and I were talking about this just yesterday. I told her I noticed during the interview I turned cold as ice (affectively, just felt nothing).
And I'm like that with every social encounter I have (except for those I am closest with).

I guess I just got so used to doing it for so long, that I don't really realize I'm acting.

This is interesting cause this kind of sheds new light on things for me.
blank
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Return to Borderline Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post