Our partner

Do you dress differently from most people?

Borderline Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: lilyfairy, Echinacea

Do you dress differently from most people?

Postby triplemoon18 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:32 pm

I have always dressed differently than most people, even as a child. I just would pick clothing that I liked, even if no one else would be caught dead in it. Now in my 40s, I get told that I wear outfits that only I could wear and people have commented to me on the street that they like my style.

I am glad that I stand out and look different. I guess it is part of trying on an identity too - I have funky outfits, hippy ones, gypsy skirts and blouses, colourful or preppie but they always have some kind of flair. I also have two big arm tattoos and I work in a law office and I am glad that I get to be me here. My makeup is more like a teen cuz I still wear colours and I change my look every day to natural to smokey to really glittery etc.

I was wondering if any other borderlines have a dramatic look to them that people notice and like?
triplemoon18
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu May 25, 2017 9:16 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Do you dress differently from most people?

Postby Lebkuchen » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:38 pm

I don't think so. I don't care about fashion and don't follow any trends, but that's about it. Still pretty normal I think.
People are horrible people.
Lebkuchen
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Thu May 25, 2017 3:16 pm

Postby Erato » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:42 am

Nice topic! :) I don't stand out, nothing too flashy when it comes to make up and clothes. I prefer comfortable clothes, as I spend much time with my son playing around and taking him for a walk. But when I was younger I had an urge to be the sexiest girl at a party, which is why I wore high heels, mini skirts, tight dresses and tbh now when I think of some of these outfits I realize they made me look like a sl*t. It's great that you can work in a law office without hidding your tattoos, here where I come from people are so narrow-minded it would be absolutely impossible.
Tell the wolves I am home.
Erato
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby oceane » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:25 am

Apart from my hair, no. Well.. I dunno. My hair is usually turquoise or lilac or a combination of those colours.

My clothes are mostly men's t-shirts, skinny jeans and skate shoes. Pretty average / boring. I don't think I stand out at all aside from my hair. Women's clothes make me feel like $#%^, and the attention makes me even more chronically uncomfortable than I usually am.
Diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder, Avoidant Personality Disorder, and Dependent Personality Disorder.
Survivor of Body Dysmorphic Disorder, recovered with CBT.
oceane
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Thu May 25, 2017 2:16 pm

Postby Echinacea » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:09 pm

Iam same as Erato , i dont stand out, i blend in nicely :)
I dont ware expensive clothing, but im decent at least no one has ever thought different or said anything
Forum Rules

"Away"
Medical reasons - please contact another moderator for now
Echinacea
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Postby triplemoon18 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:11 pm

Erato - I used to dress provocatively too when I was a teen and young adult. I thought being like Blanche on Golden Girls and having all the men want you was a good goal to have. Once I had my son at 21, I totally changed that.

Oceane I used to change my hair colour every few weeks - not I am happy with brown-black hair and I was a redhead for about 7 years without changing. I used to cut all of my hair off impulsively too. It seemed if I looked different, it would help me feel different. Now I keep it really long, past my shoulders.

I am surprised to hear so many borderlines like to blend in - I never have - was always rather wanting attention and not to ever be a wallflower. I was worried about people forgetting me, so I made sure they wouldn't.
triplemoon18
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby caughtinafray » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:08 pm

Lebkuchen wrote:I don't think so. I don't care about fashion and don't follow any trends, but that's about it. Still pretty normal I think.

Pretty much exactly what I was gonna say :|

Though, I definitely do understand feeling the need to stand out. I guess we all have our ways of going about with that. I think avoiding all the fads and other nonsense that people my age are so in to is a way to be different than them, which I like because I really don't want to be anything like them.

It's good to express your uniqueness :)
DX: Asperger Syndrome, ADHD, Bipolar type 2 | suspecting BPD

UTC -5:00 North America (EST) | INTP/ISTP | Empathy Quotient: 14/80

“To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering.”
    --- Friedrich Nietzsche
caughtinafray
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu May 25, 2017 10:16 am
Blog: View Blog (46)

Postby jerboa » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:09 pm

I don't follow the latest fashion tends, so I might not look 100% like every woman my age, but it's not like I wear things that other women wouldn't wear. I like it elegant and practical, for example dark skinny jeans + a simple form-fitting blouse with a deep cleavage. A kind of generic look.
jerboa
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Casper » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:09 pm

I guess it depends on the context. Here at work, where everyone else looks like the love children of Benneton and Old Navy, and the neighbors all subscribe to Suit & Tie Monthy, whereas I look more like an extra from a Sons of Anarchy episode, yeah, I dress pretty differently than most.

However, put me at a bike show or a bar with my friends and I fit right in...well, as much as any of us do.
Casper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby madjoe » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:59 pm

i underress
dress to confuse
dress to fit the part
selden dress up
madjoe
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu May 25, 2017 2:16 pm

Next

Return to Borderline Personality Disorder Forum