Our partner

Do you dress differently from most people?

Borderline Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: lilyfairy, Echinacea

Do you dress differently from most people?

Postby triplemoon18 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:32 pm

I have always dressed differently than most people, even as a child. I just would pick clothing that I liked, even if no one else would be caught dead in it. Now in my 40s, I get told that I wear outfits that only I could wear and people have commented to me on the street that they like my style.

I am glad that I stand out and look different. I guess it is part of trying on an identity too - I have funky outfits, hippy ones, gypsy skirts and blouses, colourful or preppie but they always have some kind of flair. I also have two big arm tattoos and I work in a law office and I am glad that I get to be me here. My makeup is more like a teen cuz I still wear colours and I change my look every day to natural to smokey to really glittery etc.

I was wondering if any other borderlines have a dramatic look to them that people notice and like?
triplemoon18
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:08 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Do you dress differently from most people?

Postby Lebkuchen » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:38 pm

I don't think so. I don't care about fashion and don't follow any trends, but that's about it. Still pretty normal I think.
People are horrible people.
Lebkuchen
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:08 pm

Postby Erato » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:42 am

Nice topic! :) I don't stand out, nothing too flashy when it comes to make up and clothes. I prefer comfortable clothes, as I spend much time with my son playing around and taking him for a walk. But when I was younger I had an urge to be the sexiest girl at a party, which is why I wore high heels, mini skirts, tight dresses and tbh now when I think of some of these outfits I realize they made me look like a sl*t. It's great that you can work in a law office without hidding your tattoos, here where I come from people are so narrow-minded it would be absolutely impossible.
Tell the wolves I am home.
Erato
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby oceane » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:25 am

Apart from my hair, no. Well.. I dunno. My hair is usually turquoise or lilac or a combination of those colours.

My clothes are mostly men's t-shirts, skinny jeans and skate shoes. Pretty average / boring. I don't think I stand out at all aside from my hair. Women's clothes make me feel like $#%^, and the attention makes me even more chronically uncomfortable than I usually am.
Diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder, Avoidant Personality Disorder, and Dependent Personality Disorder.
Survivor of Body Dysmorphic Disorder, recovered with CBT.
oceane
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:08 pm

Postby Echinacea » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:09 pm

Iam same as Erato , i dont stand out, i blend in nicely :)
I dont ware expensive clothing, but im decent at least no one has ever thought different or said anything
Forum Rules

“Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...It's about learning to dance in the rain.” ― Vivian Greene
Echinacea
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Postby triplemoon18 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:11 pm

Erato - I used to dress provocatively too when I was a teen and young adult. I thought being like Blanche on Golden Girls and having all the men want you was a good goal to have. Once I had my son at 21, I totally changed that.

Oceane I used to change my hair colour every few weeks - not I am happy with brown-black hair and I was a redhead for about 7 years without changing. I used to cut all of my hair off impulsively too. It seemed if I looked different, it would help me feel different. Now I keep it really long, past my shoulders.

I am surprised to hear so many borderlines like to blend in - I never have - was always rather wanting attention and not to ever be a wallflower. I was worried about people forgetting me, so I made sure they wouldn't.
triplemoon18
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby caughtinafray » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:08 pm

Lebkuchen wrote:I don't think so. I don't care about fashion and don't follow any trends, but that's about it. Still pretty normal I think.

Pretty much exactly what I was gonna say :|

Though, I definitely do understand feeling the need to stand out. I guess we all have our ways of going about with that. I think avoiding all the fads and other nonsense that people my age are so in to is a way to be different than them, which I like because I really don't want to be anything like them.

It's good to express your uniqueness :)
DX: Asperger Syndrome, ADHD, Bipolar 1 (Actually 2?) | suspecting BPD and Selective Mutism

UTC -5:00 North America | INTerPreter | Empathy Quotient: 14/80

"Efficiency is doing things right. Effectiveness is doing the right things."
caughtinafray
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:08 am
Blog: View Blog (41)

Postby jerboa » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:09 pm

I don't follow the latest fashion tends, so I might not look 100% like every woman my age, but it's not like I wear things that other women wouldn't wear. I like it elegant and practical, for example dark skinny jeans + a simple form-fitting blouse with a deep cleavage. A kind of generic look.
jerboa
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Casper » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:09 pm

I guess it depends on the context. Here at work, where everyone else looks like the love children of Benneton and Old Navy, and the neighbors all subscribe to Suit & Tie Monthy, whereas I look more like an extra from a Sons of Anarchy episode, yeah, I dress pretty differently than most.

However, put me at a bike show or a bar with my friends and I fit right in...well, as much as any of us do.
Casper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby madjoe » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:59 pm

i underress
dress to confuse
dress to fit the part
selden dress up
madjoe
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:08 pm

Next

Return to Borderline Personality Disorder Forum