Our partner

Bupropion XL 150mg for BPD?

Borderline Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: lilyfairy

Bupropion XL 150mg for BPD?

Postby BorderlineHelp88 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:23 am

Hi,

I have a question about medication, I hope I'm posting in the right area. I'm new here, so if not I apologize.

I'm on day 17 of Bupropion XL 150mg. The first few days were great - I felt very self-aware, but I had just come down from a serious episode, and I usually find clarity after I get all of my rage out.

Anyway, as time went on I started getting severe anxiety - much more than usual. My heart felt like it was going to explode, and I felt immense pain everywhere in my body. After that I went into a serious episode - I felt like I was on speed, or Adderall (I don't have ADD or ADHD, it was a substance abuse situation). This wasn't how I wanted to feel - especially since my anxiety is a huge problem. I chose Wellbutrin because it didn't seem to having the numbing effects of SSRIs.

Is it possible that my anxiety isn't getting worse, but just showing itself more? It felt like I could no longer hold in my immense feelings.

Anyway, side effects that have been co-current are acne, diarrhea, headaches, and insomnia. I don't have very good insurance, so the doctors I've been to have been part of the Medi-cal program. Although I definitely am happy that these services are available, I've had trouble finding a stable therapist or doctor who is knowledgeable about BPD (and willing to sit with me more than 3 minutes), so I feel like they aren't prescribing me the right things. I could be overthinking it though...the point is I'm lost.

I know it's all trial and error with medication, but I can't help to feel in the dark and highly confused.

I want to know what your experiences are with medication and BPD? I know that the only thing I can do is treat the depression, anxiety and mood swings so I know that I have to face my problems myself. However, the reason I am trying to medication is because I need assistance in order to actually face myself.

Any input would be helpful.

Thank you!
BorderlineHelp88
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:16 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Bupropion XL 150mg for BPD?

Postby StevieGirl » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:15 pm

Speaking for myself here:

NOPE. Nope nope nope nope, no, never again.

Wellbutrin messed me up, never going back. It made me lose my appetite, lose mass amounts of weight, gave me hyper focus for a few hours and then went away leaving me lifeless and without energy.
StevieGirl
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:16 pm

Postby CloudShark » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:27 pm

I'm in the UK and they prescribed this for smoking cessation at one point (I'm not sure whether it's available as an antidepressant here, although it wasn't when I had it). Anyway, I didn't notice an antidepressant effect, but it did reduce my nicotine cravings. Sorry I can't say more than that. It was pretty neutral for me.
"Away"
CloudShark
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:16 pm

Postby Noca » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:07 pm

Wellbutrin certainly won't help anxiety, it can make it worse, which it clearly has in your case. That is why Wellbutrin is commonly prescribed along side an SSRI to help anxiety, while the Wellbutrin can give you more energy to help with motivational problems of depression, it can also counter/cancel out weight gain side effects and sexual side effects from SSRIs. Headaches, intestinal side effects go away with sustained use most of the time (around 4-6 weeks). If you have insomnia, you simply need to take your Wellbutrin earlier in the day(preferably immediately upon waking up in the morning, and if you are on sedating SSRI's or other sedating meds, take them at night.
Noca
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:16 pm

Postby Lady_of_Shalott » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:35 pm

Last year I was on this $#%^ for about 2 months and the same thing happened to me !! Plus it gave me really bad headaches. My doctor was surprised it didn't work for me so it's good to know that I'm not the only one LOL.
Lady_of_Shalott
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:16 pm

Return to Borderline Personality Disorder Forum